Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 AM

16 posts, read 48,191 times

Advertisements

Just found this site and a big thanks in advance for all the help. I am astounded by all the helpful advice I've read and really impressed by how concerned most of the responders are.

Taking a job in Buena Park (north of I-5) and leaving all friends and family behind. Moving from NYC (Hell's Kitchen, a neighborhood I love), although I spent most of my life growing up on Long Island which is similar in many ways to OC.

Technically, I could swing monthly mortgage/rent payments around $3500 or so, but I would rather keep my monthly payments less than $2500 per month. Late 30's and newly single, so I am definitely interested in meeting people and making new friends. Never married and no kids. I enjoy upscale bars/restaurants/lounges as well as dive bars. My main sport activities are snow sports (e.g., skiing, hockey, etc.), but am learning to love the beach and the sun. Slowly. Might even take a surf lesson or two this year.

I am open to suggestions. Right now, I am looking at LB (Belmont areas, downtown), HB, Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, Newport Beach. They all seem to have a main street area and at least some sense of walkability. Friends recommend Santa Monica, W Hollywood, Pasadena and Glendale, but the commute doesn't seem doable. I would love to live in LA and take advantage of the scene, but even the reverse commute from the westside (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, etc.) looks like a bear. Laguna Beach looks a bit too far.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 AM

916 posts, read 3,685,099 times
I highly recommend belmont shore or downtown long beach for what you're looking for. Belmont is more beachy and downtown is more urban. Visit both and see what appeals to you most.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
I highly recommend belmont shore or downtown long beach for what you're looking for. Belmont is more beachy and downtown is more urban. Visit both and see what appeals to you most.
I second that.

Nita

Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
the cities you are looking at all fit. newport beach would provide the most upscale, but also the most vapid community. you may want to check fullerton, though i imagine it is younger than you.

sunset, surfside, seal beach, belmont shore, etc are all great areas and definitely have what you are looking for.

for skiing, you have big bear and such only 2 hours away

Old 04-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the great comments, everyone. It will definitely help to focus my search, when I come out again soon.

From the replies, it looks like LB might be the best fit for what I'm looking for and will start there. I also like that it might provide the best value. "Vapid", heh, heh. One of the things I won't miss about LI is being made to feel odd for not wanting to play the "keeping up with the Joneses" game. Thanks for the tip about Surfside, even though it might be out of my price range at first glance. I didn't even know such a place existed.

I'm still trying to understand the differences between Belmont Shore and Belmont Heights. Are there significant differences? Is one neighborhood more desireable than the other?

Any thoughts about Laguna Beach or making the commute from some of the westside beaches in LA County?

Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSwan View Post
Thanks for the great comments, everyone. It will definitely help to focus my search, when I come out again soon.

From the replies, it looks like LB might be the best fit for what I'm looking for and will start there. I also like that it might provide the best value. "Vapid", heh, heh. One of the things I won't miss about LI is being made to feel odd for not wanting to play the "keeping up with the Joneses" game. Thanks for the tip about Surfside, even though it might be out of my price range at first glance. I didn't even know such a place existed.

I'm still trying to understand the differences between Belmont Shore and Belmont Heights. Are there significant differences? Is one neighborhood more desireable than the other?

Any thoughts about Laguna Beach or making the commute from some of the westside beaches in LA County?

Thanks again.

belmont shore is right adjacent to 2nd street ( the main drag of shops, etc.) and it has a mix of rental housing and single family housing. Belmont heights is a bit further up the hill and it is more family oriented since it is mostly single family houses. both are nice, upscale, but not pretentious.

laguna is too far and too boring for what you're looking for. the westside is going to be too far and the traffic will be nasty.

Stick with belmont shore. It's quaint, fun, safe, has great mix of people, etc. It's close enough to cab to downtown Long Beach if you want that for a night as well.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Very helpful stuff, NaplesRes. Much thanks! I like how Long Beach also provides the possibility of catching a metro to downtown LA instead of having to fight traffic. Best of both worlds. Belmont Shore, specifically, looks like a great place to start looking. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. Now if I can only find a girlfriend out here....:-)

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM

114 posts, read 470,535 times
hey a quick chime in..

As you are single and seeking that type lifestyle, look on the newport peninsula. There used to be alot of very small apt/duplexs that were reasoanble and you cant beat the lifestyle. If nothing else as a so cal experiment to see what beach living is about.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, dfarmer. Again, not something I even considered before reading your post.

A good thought. I am thinking that since I am moving to SoCal, I might as well embrace at least some part of the beach lifestyle since it is one of many things LA/OC has that is superior to the NYC/LI area. It is one of the key reasons why I am considering living in the beach towns, even though I don't consider myself a beach/sun person. I'm sure Anaheim (Hills) or Irvine are great cities, especially for families. But they probably won't compare favorably to Tribeca or Hell's Kitchen, in my eyes.

Mainly from this site and the great comments, I decided to start with Long Beach first (Belmont Shore, Downtown, East Arts) but expect to take a look at HB and NP as well. I took a quick look at HB my last time out there a few weeks ago. How does Newport Beach and the Peninsula compare to Huntington Beach?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSwan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, dfarmer. Again, not something I even considered before reading your post.

A good thought. I am thinking that since I am moving to SoCal, I might as well embrace at least some part of the beach lifestyle since it is one of many things LA/OC has that is superior to the NYC/LI area. It is one of the key reasons why I am considering living in the beach towns, even though I don't consider myself a beach/sun person. I'm sure Anaheim (Hills) or Irvine are great cities, especially for families. But they probably won't compare favorably to Tribeca or Hell's Kitchen, in my eyes.

Mainly from this site and the great comments, I decided to start with Long Beach first (Belmont Shore, Downtown, East Arts) but expect to take a look at HB and NP as well. I took a quick look at HB my last time out there a few weeks ago. How does Newport Beach and the Peninsula compare to Huntington Beach?
Huntington is very commercial these days and draws in my opinion a rougher undesirble crowd from time to time. the newport peninsula is a party scene for sure. You may like that although it's pretty pretentious.

I still say belmont because of the mix of singles, families, young, old, college students (Long Beach State is nearby), etc. It really is a great melting pot of everything with a relaxed, friendly vibe. Plus it's the best commute for you of the areas. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County