Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM

17 posts, read 90,149 times

Advertisements

One of our favorites was Savannah Chop House in Laguna Niguel. Perfect for a special occasion or when you just want a delicious steak dinner. The ambiance inside is warm and cozy and the outside patio has a firepit and nice views.

We also loved Tortilla Flats in MV, Sarducci's in SJC (great patio.... didn't like inside at all), Salt Creek Grill in LN/DP, Peppinos in LN or MV, Cedar Creek Inn in SJC, just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM

43 posts, read 218,316 times
I totally forgot about this thread..where's the Cuban food? now that would make a killing..do it before Versailles or Porto's do..!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM

117 posts, read 366,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
ALSO, Mollie's is a MUST! It is a neighborhood coffee-shop-country-kitchen-type-of-place, but they also have delicious Mexican...it's great for breakfast, has regular lunches and is open for dinner now, too....the salsa isn't super-hot but it's very tasty and you will need to chew gum or breath mints if you go back to work...they've been there forever and we have gone there for over 22 years. (When we moved here, Aliso Viejo didn't even exist and most of the main roads in the area dead-ended. There was no Wal Mart, etc. L.N. was very small, not even a city yet and one could actually see stars at night). Mollie is not a man, but he bought it from Mollie such a long time ago that everybody calls him Mollie. He retired and sold it to his son and daughter-in-law a couple of years ago but 'Mollie' still comes in to help out on occasion..... Mollie's is on La Paz, in a small strip shopping center with Walgreen's, Carl's Jr, carpet/flooring store, tiny pizza take out, and something-or-other-pet-supply-store.....on the corner of La Paz and Aliso Creek....across La Paz from Ralphs. Mollie's is crowded on weekends especially during breakfast time....breakfasts are very good there, including home made biscuits... Try something Mexican....you won't be sorry...or leave hungry.
Here, here on Mollie's. It's right down the street from Ted's. Love them both.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsearlylight View Post
One of our favorites was Savannah Chop House in Laguna Niguel. Perfect for a special occasion or when you just want a delicious steak dinner. The ambiance inside is warm and cozy and the outside patio has a firepit and nice views.

We also loved Tortilla Flats in MV, Sarducci's in SJC (great patio.... didn't like inside at all), Salt Creek Grill in LN/DP, Peppinos in LN or MV, Cedar Creek Inn in SJC, just to name a few.
I live very close to Savannah.......it is a great place, the food is very good....it kind of reminds me of a fancy German place with deer heads on the wall..(my favorite meal is smoked pork chop)..HOWEVER, I agree with Dawnsearly.....it is for a special occasion.......not inexpensive at all..... It is in Ocean Ranch, on the border of L.N. and Dana Point.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:19 AM

224 posts, read 956,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
ALSO, Mollie's is a MUST! It is a neighborhood coffee-shop-country-kitchen-type-of-place, but they also have delicious Mexican...it's great for breakfast, has regular lunches and is open for dinner now, too....the salsa isn't super-hot but it's very tasty and you will need to chew gum or breath mints if you go back to work...they've been there forever and we have gone there for over 22 years. (When we moved here, Aliso Viejo didn't even exist and most of the main roads in the area dead-ended. There was no Wal Mart, etc. L.N. was very small, not even a city yet and one could actually see stars at night). Mollie is not a man, but he bought it from Mollie such a long time ago that everybody calls him Mollie. He retired and sold it to his son and daughter-in-law a couple of years ago but 'Mollie' still comes in to help out on occasion..... Mollie's is on La Paz, in a small strip shopping center with Walgreen's, Carl's Jr, carpet/flooring store, tiny pizza take out, and something-or-other-pet-supply-store.....on the corner of La Paz and Aliso Creek....across La Paz from Ralphs. Mollie's is crowded on weekends especially during breakfast time....breakfasts are very good there, including home made biscuits... Try something Mexican....you won't be sorry...or leave hungry.
Is that the same Mollie's as the great breakfast Mollie's In San Juan Cap? If so, they are the best breakfasts anywhere....omelettes..mmmmmm.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 PM

117 posts, read 366,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
Is that the same Mollie's as the great breakfast Mollie's In San Juan Cap? If so, they are the best breakfasts anywhere....omelettes..mmmmmm.
No, the one in Laguna Niguel is technically "Mollies Country Kitchen" and the one in SJC is "Mollies Famous Cafe." Both are very good, we have eaten at both.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
If you are looking for another good Japanese place in the area, also look at Gen Kai Japanese Restaurant in Dana Point off of PCH just above the harbor. It is small, but very good! Also, Yama Sushi in Mission Viejo has delicious sushi at reasonable prices, waterfront on Lake MV.

For some more Italian, Restaurante Ferrantelli (really good, more expensive though), Lucianas (good), and Casanova (pretty good, most reasonable prices) in Dana Point are all great. Capriccio Italiano in Mission Viejo is good for northern Italian and Piccolino Ristorante in MV is great for a small cozy atmosphere and is owned by a very personable Italian man who greets every customer.

Ladera Ranch has some good non chain places as well. Infusion Restaurant & Martini Bar is great and has rave reviews. Also look at Picante in Ladera if you want some of the best authentic Spanish good around. Their paella is very good. Jalapenos Mexican is Ladera is so so in my opinion and expensive for Mexican.

If you want some great BBQ food, try Lucille's BBQ in Lake Forest at the Arbor off El Toro and also Newport Rib Company in Ladera Ranch.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
If you are looking for another good Japanese place in the area, also look at Gen Kai Japanese Restaurant in Dana Point off of PCH just above the harbor. It is small, but very good! Also, Yama Sushi in Mission Viejo has delicious sushi at reasonable prices, waterfront on Lake MV.

For some more Italian, Restaurante Ferrantelli (really good, more expensive though), Lucianas (good), and Casanova (pretty good, most reasonable prices) in Dana Point are all great. Capriccio Italiano in Mission Viejo is good for northern Italian and Piccolino Ristorante in MV is great for a small cozy atmosphere and is owned by a very personable Italian man who greets every customer.

Ladera Ranch has some good non chain places as well. Infusion Restaurant & Martini Bar is great and has rave reviews. Also look at Picante in Ladera if you want some of the best authentic Spanish good around. Their paella is very good. Jalapenos Mexican is Ladera is so so in my opinion and expensive for Mexican.

If you want some great BBQ food, try Lucille's BBQ in Lake Forest at the Arbor off El Toro and also Newport Rib Company in Ladera Ranch.
MISSION! You are making me want some fried green tomatoes from Lucille's! LOL It's a good place but tends to be very noisy though...at least on the weekends....

We started out answering questions about Aliso, etc., but now we have moved into other towns.......Ricardo's is very good Mexican food and they're in San Juan Capistrano......family run.......reasonably priced....we're regulars at Ricardo's.... We prefer Ricardo's over El Adobe....(and they are on the same street, it is just that Del Obispo separates them)... El Adobe is good, but more expensive, slightly more 'exotic' on the dishes, more touristy.....it was made famous by Richard Nixon.... El Adobe used to be a real adobe and it tends to be slightly smoky inside....especially the bar......almost as if they need to call a chimney sweep or somebody....

And to the previous response about Mollie's......yep, both are delicious but they are not related! I think Mollie's in San Juan closes after lunch.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
^^^
I'll have to try Ricardo's next time I'm in downtown San Juan. It sounds good. I've always thought El Adobe was so so for Mexican and a little too touristy as well. Ricardo's sounds like a nice change for Mexican food when in San Juan. El Adobe is good for banquets though with their large facility adjacent to the main restaurant.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
^^^
I'll have to try Ricardo's next time I'm in downtown San Juan. It sounds good. I've always thought El Adobe was so so for Mexican and a little too touristy as well. Ricardo's sounds like a nice change for Mexican food when in San Juan. El Adobe is good for banquets though with their large facility adjacent to the main restaurant.
You've got that right! El Adobe has the pretty patio......we had a high school swim team dinner out there one year.......and I've seen wedding receptions, too.....

Ricardo's is a simple place, but the food is good! Every person working there is a family member....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County