Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpche View Post
You shouldn't feel the need to define yourself by the car you drive and by what you think others may be thinking of you.

Many of those people driving expensive cars are posers and can barely afford them anyway.

Sorry I do define myself with my vehicle. I am a rusty old dented and bruised piece of junk with an attitude and I want everyone to know it when they see me coming. (Actually only one of our cars fits that description,the other makes people gape and say "What is that?" I wonder what that car says about me? I guess I do not really care).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsearlylight View Post
We have friends who live in Newport. I agree, it is a beautiful place. Great weather, lovely to look at, nice restaurants, good shopping, clean, etc etc. In many respects it is an "ideal" place to live. That said, I feel looks and labels matter far too much there. I would not call the area "down to earth" at all. If you don't own a Mercedes or M-type car, you do appear out of place. If your clothes aren't uber expensive, you do appear out of place. I would love to know what the average resident of Newport spends in a given month on impressing others-- cars, clothes, salon appts., eating out, etc. Our friends that live in Newport are great people and they love it. That said, they too feel the need to lease pricey cars and my one friend doesn't shy away from $300 haircuts every other month. Definitely not me, but I can tell you it exists in Newport.
I could not agree more. I live in neighboring Irvine and work in Newport Beach. Newport Beach is "nice" in terms of great weather, nice restaurants and shopping, "beautiful" people on the outside, but I can't say the same about their inside. Many seem very shallow and are all about portraying some fake image with their cars, clothes, Botox, etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,563 times
Newport does have the best harbor for kayak paddling, which is a great way to view all the "look-but-don't-touch" luxury homes and yachts. So live somewhere within a half-hour drive, then buy a fancy kayak and strap it to your Ford.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
CA has a bad rap for being superficial, and probably for good reason in many cases, but there are many down to earth people as well!

You will find those who are like minded driving paid for cars....heck, some of us lived well below our means and still had lots of friends!

Dawn

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
I think you will be ok. Newport is getting more and more diverse.

I was down at fashion Island a few weeks ago and noticed nothing at all different than when I'm in Malibu, West LA, or San Diego.

The people in the mall were simply people in the mall going about their business. When I am there, I generally don't walk about striking up conversations with everyone. Usually there to shop, walk around, get something to eat, and thats about it.

People should not expect others to entertain and engage strangers out of the blue. Now if you go to disneyland, they hire people to specifically say hello, greet you, and answer questions...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 AM

18 posts, read 62,280 times
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like what I expected yet the pros do seem to balance out the cons. I think I'll give it a shot if I get the opportunity.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I had a 90 Ford Taurus wagon that I used to drive to visit a friend who lives in a gated community in Newport Beach. Going to the guard station I always felt like the "help" going to work. Then one time one of the "guards" made a huge to-do over my windshield. The car had been built for back East and it had some kind of special ice-defroster-thing going on. This guy loved the car and told me if I ever had problems with the windshield he had a cousin in Santa Ana who could fix me right up. Loved him.

It's all how you carry yourself. I grew up spending summers in Bal when people could care less who you were or what you drove. There were real movie stars mixing with the surfers and the working people. The attitude has changed and it's not one I like or appreciate. It's just a white-bread community full of people with horrible amounts of debt If you're going to worry about being judged by your car it's probably better to live somewhere else.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 90,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpche View Post
You shouldn't feel the need to define yourself by the car you drive and by what you think others may be thinking of you.

Many of those people driving expensive cars are posers and can barely afford them anyway.

I totally agree that many of the people driving these pricey cars are posers. ABSOLUTELY. And I agree you shouldn't feel the need to define yourself by the car you drive. I certainly don't! That said, these types of people who feel the outside is more important than the inside are tough cookies for people like me to be friends with. We all know that our friendships are almost always with people who share at least some of the same values and perspectives we have about life. If I prefer not to use my clothes and cars as a way to define myself, I probably won't find a desire to befriend someone who does. And while I don't care what others think of me, unfortunately there are way too many newport beachers who DO judge and won't care to befriend me b/c I'm not all about the bling.

But like I said... NB is beautiful. There are many wonderful aspects about that city. The people? Not a fan, but I'm sure there are some down to earth peeps living there. Ya just gotta look around for a while.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM

239 posts, read 710,967 times
Ok. There are different parts to Newport. You have the beach (down on the Peninsula) which is absolutely laid back and casual.
You have Corona del Mar...super-rich and snobby.
You have Newport Heights. A combination of both.
In all of the aboved named you have slums and multi-million dollar homes. I grew up in the area...I have never owned a Mercedes or BMW...and neither have any of my friends or immediate family. I have a Toyota and before that a Pontiac.
I would check out Newport Heights and Costa Mesa (both East Side and near the Fairgrounds). And the Mesa Verde area of Costa Mesa also. Zip codes in CM are 92627 and 92626. To buy a home 92626 is more affordable...but your are looking at $5-6000k. I'm not sure of the Newport Heights zip. probably 92663.

It is a great area to live and there is diversity no matter what anyone else says.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If it weren't for the "lifestyle" in Newport (and the whole money thing) I would live there in a heartbeat. The area is just so nice.

I would never want to live in Irvine. It is "nice" and clean, but it is comprised of gated communities and Dick's sporting goods.
Dick's sporting goods bought up all the chick's sporting goods. I guess I better just leave it at that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County