Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM

365 posts, read 1,220,542 times

Advertisements

Regardless of the belief or issue...if you are following a leader whose beliefs do not line up with yours, you shouldn't be following them. I realize it happens on all sides, although many people just turn the other cheek and keep on. Congrats on standing firm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So you boycotted your church cause you didn't like the message, I happen to agree, you did the right thing, but guess what? It happens on both sides, we discontinued our membership in our church because our minister as much as told us to support Obama..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM

True, for those who have been around long enough to remember the past.

And to Nita, I didn't say that either side read the ballot measures...I think too many people around here are disillusioned into thinking they have "no time" for anything, and yet they spend more hours in front of computers diddling around than with their children...I'm not saying all, but very very many! Nothing is ever completely black or white in this world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
For all of Orange County's posturing as a fiscally conservative conclave, it saw the biggest municipal bankruptcy in American history at the time (it is now second behind a county in Alabama). The problems was with derivatives and Merrill Lynch was involved in it. So this financial crisis we have now is a bit of deja vu for OC residents.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 AM

301 posts, read 1,511,204 times
So OC, financially conservative, but also shallow and materialistic?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
And for the record, I voted NO on prop 8...and I also voted for gay marriage in the election back in 2000 as well...OC is just not tolerant enough, self-destructive to it's own people, and I think it will ultimately need to be put back in it's place in reality...or fall off into the ocean so other people have equal rights. :-)
See the news today?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM

What was the news? :-) Oh now I'm excited...please share!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Too many mormons were ordered to vote YES on prop 8, it really did rock the vote...I know because I was in the Church at that time and boycotted it after witnessing their political practices firsthand! They were ordered to pay money, ordered to put signs in their yards, ordered to make sure each person voted for it.
You boycotted the Church for seeking to uphold one of its most basic tenets? I suspect you either were never a member or you were already way inactive and are now pretending to have had a stake in the church at the time of prop 8.

And no one was ordered to do anything.

Quote:
And yes, there are a TON of mormons in the OC...arguably moreso than any others...
Prop 8 had 70% of the Black Vote. 2 Million Obama voters also voted yes on 8.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Ahh Supreme Court Ruling...are they started to read the "all created equal" line of those old papers that brought this country to life? Oh no they didn't....omitted that line again eh? Well, the state is recognizing gay marriages so just run off for a destination wedding in one of the many other gay-marriage-friendly states then bring your license back home to be recognized! So silly, considering more than half of all heterosexual couples divorce...all of the gay couples I know are together longer than their str8 counterparts (and they raise better children). Well maybe when racial profiling stops, gay bashing will too! Sad day when midwestern states are more progressive than the original leader, CA.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM

In our stake it was VERY heavily and repeatedly suggested...did you miss conference last fall as well? President Monson was very clear on his stance, yes.

Many religious people voted yes on 8, I said that. Of course, I wonder how many of those "Christians" and other religious people actually follow the biblical (or other scripture) laws when it pertains to their life? I'm willing to bet you've lied or cheated, stolen, broken a law (speeding anyone)? And yet, you can simply ask for forgiveness through prayer and be cured, but people who love other people are punished by religion through law? That is ridiculous and the reason church and state were separated WAY back when. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You boycotted the Church for seeking to uphold one of its most basic tenets? I suspect you either were never a member or you were already way inactive and are now pretending to have had a stake in the church at the time of prop 8.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM

And I assure you, I was a VERY active, long-time member with high standing...it has been of no small issue that we have left. You are not to force your beliefs onto others, yet persuade them gently to the way of the Lord...how is passing a law to bully them being persuasive? It's not. Perhaps gay people should consult an ancient "gay bible" equivalent and pass a law that heterosexual couples cannot marry...you would find that ridiculous...just as they find your stance. There is simply not one answer to please everyone, but in general, if it deprives anyone of basic rights of life, love, liberty...common sense and humanity says it shouldn't be allowed into law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
In our stake it was VERY heavily and repeatedly suggested.
Oh, and when they put the gun to your head, did it hurt?

Quote:
..did you miss conference last fall as well? President Monson was very clear on his stance, yes.
his stance? You mean the belief that marriage is ordained of God and defined by God is solely the opinion of Thomas S. Monson? Is that what your saying?

Quote:
Many religious people voted yes on 8, I said that. Of course, I wonder how many of those "Christians" and other religious people actually follow the biblical (or other scripture) laws when it pertains to their life?
So because no one is perfect, we don't have the right to stand up for a common cause?

Quote:
I'm willing to bet you've lied or cheated, stolen, broken a law (speeding anyone)?
And there are consequences for all of that. What does that have to do with the definition of marriage?

Quote:
And yet, you can simply ask for forgiveness through prayer and be cured, but people who love other people are punished by religion through law?
You can love whomever you want and sleep with whomever you want. That is not the issue at all.

Quote:
That is ridiculous and the reason church and state were separated WAY back when. :-)
The state never should have been allowed to 'marry' in the first place. Especially since most of us believe that Adam and Eve were the blueprint for the institution of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County