Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 PM

257 posts, read 946,214 times

Advertisements

Did she have Rancho Santa Margarita on her list? She should look there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:14 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,542 times
You won't find anything in a good area here with 4 bedrooms for under a million, so the mortgage (which translates into rent) on that is over $4000k/month easily. So you'll either need to get 2 sets of bunk beds and get a 3 bedroom in a nice area or he'll have to commute over an hour each day each way...the rental market is swamped here right now due to all the foreclosures so everyone is renting.

CA doesn't have gameroom or rec rooms in general...we use our backyards instead since it never rains or snows. Just move the toys out back. I'd really tell you to consider RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, it may be the only nice area where you will find newer homes that have more space in that price range. :-)

Military is a tough one in OC...good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff*Army*Wife View Post
We would LOVE to rent in MV itself, but I haven't found anything in MV yet that is within our budget and up to our standards. Of course I've only looked online, so I haven't seen it all yet. We need at least 4 bedrooms, but I'd prefer 5 (so we can have a room exclusively for school), or a 4 bedroom w/an office/bonus/gameroom. We also have 2 dogs. One is a 100 pound labrador retriever. He's trained though, and crated when we are gone, so no worries there about damage. But, I don't know how easily I'll be able to convince a landlord of that. If we can find a place in MV, we'll take it in a heartbeat. The husband has a long enough day without a commute. I was just looking at our options if we couldn't find a house there.

As for it being a tough place to recruit out of...It's probably going to be a challenge, but he's up for it. The things that usually sell kids on the Army these days (paying off student loans, signing bonus, etc.) probably won't mean much to these kids, so he'll have to approach it from a different perspective. We'll see! We're very excited about our upcoming move!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 18,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
You won't find anything in a good area here with 4 bedrooms for under a million, so the mortgage (which translates into rent) on that is over $4000k/month easily. So you'll either need to get 2 sets of bunk beds and get a 3 bedroom in a nice area or he'll have to commute over an hour each day each way...the rental market is swamped here right now due to all the foreclosures so everyone is renting.

CA doesn't have gameroom or rec rooms in general...we use our backyards instead since it never rains or snows. Just move the toys out back. I'd really tell you to consider RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, it may be the only nice area where you will find newer homes that have more space in that price range. :-)

Military is a tough one in OC...good luck!
Thanks for the input, but I've already found SEVERAL 4 bedrooms, and some w/4 plus an office or bonus room, for $3000 or under IN Mission Viejo. And if all those are taken by the time we get there, I've also found several in Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, Laguna Beach, & Laguna Niguel. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your info because it seems to be contradictory to all the other advice I've gotten here and to my findings?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input, but I've already found SEVERAL 4 bedrooms, and some w/4 plus an office or bonus room, for $3000 or under IN Mission Viejo. And if all those are taken by the time we get there, I've also found several in Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, Laguna Beach, & Laguna Niguel. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your info because it seems to be contradictory to all the other advice I've gotten here and to my findings?
I don't know what she is talking about either. We have 105 homes for sale with 4 bedrooms and listed UNDER 1 million dollars in Mission Viejo; even newer homes with pools and large lots.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I don't know what she is talking about either. We have 105 homes for sale with 4 bedrooms and listed UNDER 1 million dollars in Mission Viejo; even newer homes with pools and large lots.
Thanks! Her post kind of threw me there for a minute. Hmm...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Default If she lives there you had better do some more checking.

Have you seen pics of these places? My two step-kids and best friend live in the same area and they are living with parents because of the cost of living. Do your research and call the chamber of commerce or a real estate person. It seems like $3,000 is a lot of money to me. You should be able to find something decent for that amount.

Quote:

Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
That poster doesn't have a clue. Read her other posts. She issues consistently poor or blatantly false advice and has a very odd outlook on life.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
That poster doesn't have a clue. Read her other posts. She issues consistently poor or blatantly false advice and has a very odd outlook on life.

Thanks for the heads up. I did as you suggested, and you're absolutely right. Phew...!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 PM

I've lived here my entire life and see rental signs all over, know what the neighbors moving in are paying, and looking at CL! The 2 bedroom townhomes in Aliso are going for $1500-2000/month currently...4 bedroom houses in Lake Forest are at $4500/month right now...what are some of the addresses (cross streets) you are finding in MV for 4 bedroom houses under $3000? I would really wonder which areas these would be in?

If you want to post any of the houses you've found, or addresses, many of us natives could give you better info about the areas (or conditions of those areas and houses).

Quote:

Old 05-26-2009, 12:07 PM

For $3000/month the house would need a mortgage under $500k....how many 4 bedroom houses are under $500k in Mission Viejo right now? You might want to look in San Clemente, there is a large military presence there and you won't feel so singled out. You can all doubt me, but when you move here...feel free to post again after being here a few months, I think you'll find my answers have been accurate! Everyone else just wants the world to think they are living in a happy little box...it just isn't that way. Best of luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County