Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,269 times

Advertisements

I'm in an interracial relationship (I'm african american, she's caucasian) and we're considering a move to the Irvine area after a recent job offer. From reading through previous discussions, it seems that race relations/tolerance in the area are either horribly bad or just fine. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to what both sides are saying. I'd appreciate some honesty about the climate there to better make a decision/know exactly what it is we're getting into. I know that african americans are an extreme minority there and in Orange County as a whole, but quite frankly we just want a good place to live our lives and Irvine seems to be a good place. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 PM

964 posts, read 2,650,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxRenata View Post
I'm in an interracial relationship (I'm african american, she's caucasian) and we're considering a move to the Irvine area after a recent job offer. From reading through previous discussions, it seems that race relations/tolerance in the area are either horribly bad or just fine. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to what both sides are saying. I'd appreciate some honesty about the climate there to better make a decision/know exactly what it is we're getting into. I know that african americans are an extreme minority there and in Orange County as a whole, but quite frankly we just want a good place to live our lives and Irvine seems to be a good place. Thoughts?
Why does Irvine seem like a good place? Have you visited there? What have you read about it? What other places have you visited and read about? What were the differences?

What line of work are you in? Your girlfriend?

Renting or buying?
Budget?
Kids in the future (schools to be a concern)?

If you're renting, try it for a year. If you like it then stay.

For practical reasons, live as close as possible to your job.

However, there are places a bit less expensive to the south with very good schools and pretty neighborhoods. One reason they are a little more expensive is because they are a little further south and just that much farther away from jobs in LA and north of Irvine.

There are also some parts of Tustin with good neighborhoods and schools.

Last edited by proudmommy; 02-25-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,955,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxRenata View Post
Interracial couple moving to Irvine, what's the climate like?
Usually about 70 and sunny

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Usually about 70 and sunny

Unless it snows. Like it might tonight.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 PM

394 posts, read 968,170 times
LOL @ ysr

Irvine has a fairly diverse population, as there are many cultural backgrounds involved with UCI in one way or another. Most people won't care about your interraciality (is that even a word?) as long as you are cool about it. However, there will always be a-holes - anywhere. But I am willing to bet that you realized that fact before y'all became a couple.

Pay a visit and scope it out. You will probably find Irvine to be a decent place to live - even if it is kinda drab...

Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 AM

54 posts, read 153,081 times
Yes, Irvine has a very diverse population, and is a nice, safe place to live. Now, if the house exteriors were as varied as the skin-colors you see here, that would be super-cool.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 PM

257 posts, read 947,019 times
I am always SHOCKED when I come across anyone rude in Irvine... so I doubt you will have a problem. If you don't have kids, then I would also avoid Irvine proper, as it is very expensive. THere are neighboring areas much cheaper.

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
The climate depends on who you meet, where you go, what kind of people you hang with. Irvine is a good sized place and there a lot of very different people. There are wonderful people, jecks, liberals (not many) conservative, hicks, red necks, nazis, Christians, Muslims, Buddists, you name it. So if you run into the wrong people you will think tha tclimate is awful and if oyu run tino the right people, you will think it is wonderful. A lot of people perceive the area as rude becasue so many paople are so caught up in their lives and the constant busyness, that they tend to forget about other people around them and can cut you off, bump you aside or do other rude things without really intending to (well some of them intend to). You can be offended by this, callit prejudice or rudeness, or you can realize that they are busy harried and absorbed by whatever is causing them to be in a rush (people are uaually in a rush) and just let it go. If you were to actually meet them, you would problably think them wonderful. If you get cut off, shouldreed aside or ignored by them, you will think otherwise.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM

38 posts, read 106,364 times
Dress nicely and you will be fine.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,903,044 times
I don't think of Irvine as being all that diverse. It seems to me most of the population is either White or Asian. I don't see it as being an unfriendly city though at all. I know the schools are really good and as far as climate...just like everyone said, 72 and sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County