Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI, the median home price in OC is no longer $500K

Homes are much cheaper than that now and I suspect will drop even more. There are a number of homes sold in the more "blue collar" type areas where homes are selling at under $350K and even some under $300K.

I had seen the comment about needing $500K to buy a home in OC and that is not even close to true.

As to my comments on a house in Fullerton and needing to buy at $350K or less.........

Simply, if you are happy with a large condo, there are many many many available in OC for under $350K. Many.

Anyway, point is that real estate price probably should not be your gripe any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Houses, actual houses and not glorified apartments with high HOA dues, are still too expensive in any decent part of OC. The nicer areas, and I'm not talking just rich areas, haven't gone down all that much since 2006. They've just gone from incredibly, insanely, overpriced to very overpriced. Big deal. If you look at the median prices by zip code there's a big difference between the nice areas and the crappy areas.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Houses, actual houses and not glorified apartments with high HOA dues, are still too expensive in any decent part of OC. The nicer areas, and I'm not talking just rich areas, haven't gone down all that much since 2006. They've just gone from incredibly, insanely, overpriced to very overpriced. Big deal. If you look at the median prices by zip code there's a big difference between the nice areas and the crappy areas.
And the very best houses are pulled from the market because the owners can afford not to sell.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
They're getting closer....

26 Reston Way Ladera Ranch CA 92694

5 beds, 3.0 baths, 2,900 sq ft

Recently Sold: $683,400 (5/4/2009), $235/sqft

# Single family
# 5 beds
# 3.0 bath
# 2,900 sqft
# Lot 7,100 sqft
# Built in 2002

26 Reston Way, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694 - Zillow

26 Reston Way, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694

Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 43,842 times
I used live in California now I am in Virginia. Once one of my patients said " Doc. I am happy that you are here, at least we speak english in Virginia"

Old 06-10-2009, 02:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth Doc. View Post
I used live in California now I am in Virginia. Once one of my patients said " Doc. I am happy that you are here, at least we speak english in Virginia"
Depends on where in Virginia just like it depends on where in California. I go to Arlington, Alexandria, and Crystal City all the time. I love those places. Ethnic restaurants Pakistani, Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, Greek, etc all over the place. Very similar to Southern California. Loads of foreigners.

You want homogeneous 80% white 20% black and nothing in the middle, lots of BBQ and generic meat+3 restaurants and few good authentic ethnic restaurants, but everybody really does speak only English, then move to Huntsville or Colorado Springs.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Depends on where in Virginia just like it depends on where in California. I go to Arlington, Alexandria, and Crystal City all the time. I love those places. Ethnic restaurants Pakistani, Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, Greek, etc all over the place. Very similar to Southern California. Loads of foreigners.

You want homogeneous 80% white 20% black and nothing in the middle, lots of BBQ and generic meat+3 restaurants and few good authentic ethnic restaurants, but everybody really does speak only English, then move to Huntsville or Colorado Springs.
LOL exactly.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:15 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

How I miss authentic restaurants...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM

40 posts, read 175,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
As to my comments on a house in Fullerton and needing to buy at $350K or less.........

Simply, if you are happy with a large condo, there are many many many available in OC for under $350K. Many.

Anyway, point is that real estate price probably should not be your gripe any longer.
Real Estate is certainly still a major gripe. CA is pricing mediocre suburbs like coastal estates.

I have absolutely no intention of paying $350K for a large condo when I have 3 children. We'd be tripping all over each other. Nor do I think it is wise to pay $350K and receive so little in return. I don't value smog, traffic, earthquakes, or a government that values our law enforcement and education so very little (thanks to the new budget, my husband has suffered two demotions in less than 4 months and he was once considered on the path to the highest ranking position in his institution. His demotions were all decided on county financial needs, not his performance.) I don't value over-development so that I have a Target and a Starbucks within 5 miles of my home in every direction.

When you add those into the equation, I'm not willing to pay $350K for a small place and in no world am I willing to pay $500K for what the rest of the country would classify as a modest, average American family home. Because honestly, what are the benefits of living in CA? Nice winters? Nice springs? The summer and fall are not really nice here. We're smoked out every fall by the wildfires. The summers are so hot that unless you have a pool, you're holed up in your home with the a/c cranked on and bemoaning your extraordinary energy bill from the cost.

What in the world are we paying such high real estate prices for??

If I could find a home for $350K, 3-4 bedrooms, in a nice neighborhood with a good school, a decent sized yard and at least 2000 sq. ft. (like I'm finding by the boat load in WA), then I'd stay in a heartbeat. I'd continue to live with the smog and the traffic, etc. etc. But I'm not paying $500K AND being subjected to those things.

I just don't get why CA real estate prices are not representative of what you're really getting.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Well if you truly want a nice home and a great school district in a great family oriented environment if your interested in Eastern Washington our home may be up for sale in the near future for $300.00. It is built on a terrace that has a beautiful view of pinetrees.. It is located just 45-minutes from a popular skiing/snowboarding resort... Very pretty country here.. And affordable.

3600 sq ft.
5-bedrooms
3-full baths
bonus room
fireplace
jacuzzi and fireplace hook-up downstairs
2 decks off two sliders
white vinyl lattice fencing around the entire backyard which is huge
a built in air filter
water softener
air conditioner
built in stereo system through the entire upstairs even the patio
and many other features...

This is a great house but we may be relocating soon... And not to OC thank God!!!

Anyway your post is right own and pretty much the way it is there...Hopefully you can make something happen for yourselves or get out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingirisheyes View Post
Real Estate is certainly still a major gripe. CA is pricing mediocre suburbs like coastal estates.

I have absolutely no intention of paying $350K for a large condo when I have 3 children. We'd be tripping all over each other. Nor do I think it is wise to pay $350K and receive so little in return. I don't value smog, traffic, earthquakes, or a government that values our law enforcement and education so very little (thanks to the new budget, my husband has suffered two demotions in less than 4 months and he was once considered on the path to the highest ranking position in his institution. His demotions were all decided on county financial needs, not his performance.) I don't value over-development so that I have a Target and a Starbucks within 5 miles of my home in every direction.

When you add those into the equation, I'm not willing to pay $350K for a small place and in no world am I willing to pay $500K for what the rest of the country would classify as a modest, average American family home. Because honestly, what are the benefits of living in CA? Nice winters? Nice springs? The summer and fall are not really nice here. We're smoked out every fall by the wildfires. The summers are so hot that unless you have a pool, you're holed up in your home with the a/c cranked on and bemoaning your extraordinary energy bill from the cost.

What in the world are we paying such high real estate prices for??

If I could find a home for $350K, 3-4 bedrooms, in a nice neighborhood with a good school, a decent sized yard and at least 2000 sq. ft. (like I'm finding by the boat load in WA), then I'd stay in a heartbeat. I'd continue to live with the smog and the traffic, etc. etc. But I'm not paying $500K AND being subjected to those things.

I just don't get why CA real estate prices are not representative of what you're really getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County