Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 AM

68 posts, read 207,729 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is long and it was started a long time ago, but since it's still going , I thought I'd pop in on it.

I've lived in CA all of my life and in OC for the past 30 years. I'm 40 so I have lived here since I was 10 and have spent my entire adult life here and have raised my kids and helped my husband run his business here. In fact, I've lived in the exact same house for those 30 years. My husband and I bought it from my mom.

As far as the original post goes, I totally understand that you just don't like OC. But, much of what was posted is exaggerated. I don't get the pro sports issue. So we don't have football? So what? I live a few miles from Angel stadium (can hear the Friday fireworks from home) and that place is always packed. You can see the stands full of red shirts when you drive by on game days.

Air quality? Well, it's not great. That's for sure. But, like others have said, it's better than it used to be. I will say, though, that from my house, you should be able to see the mountains. But, you usually can't.

Traffic? That was a pretty wild exaggeration. It certainly could in very unusual circumstances take 2-3 hours to go 10 miles but the OP said it takes that "most of the time" and that is very far from the truth. The traffic is not pretty but it is not as bad as the OP made it out to be.

The crime assertions are also greatly exaggerated! To claim that Yorba Linda has a murder problem is utterly absurd! I live in a neighboring city to Yorba Linda and it is an extremely safe city. To say that anything north of Irvine is not safe is simply false! I have lived in North Orange County for 30 years and the vast majority of it is perfectly safe! Even the dreaded Santa Ana is not as bad as folks make it out to be. There are very safe areas and not so safe areas of Santa Ana.

I don't know much about the job situation since we own our own business but I don't know anyone who has lost their job yet or that has had trouble finding a job.

It is definitely expensive to live here! To me, that is the biggest drawback. A house on the next street over from me just sold for over $530,000. It only has 1800 sq feet and a 7,000 sq ft lot.

I don't find it overly crowded but there are lots of people here. The beach communities are lovely. The more inland communities get hotter. We can get to the beach or to the mountains in less than an hour from just about anywhere in the county. The Santa Ana winds can be fierce and wreak havoc as far as wild fires are concerned. That pops up every October and November without fail. The mountains receive lots of snow in the winter (typically) and there are ski slopes for winter play.

It's not perfect; that's for sure. But, as I was reading the OP, it didn't even sound like OC was being described.

Just a couple of pennies from someone who is a long time resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 03:25 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,300 times
You are speaking from a perspective of one who has had a house for a long time. So you are one of the fortunate ones. You also own a business so you probably do well with tax returns etc. If you have owned your home for 30 years you probably don't pay a mortgage payment right? Well then you have a good motivator to be there and have adjusted your view of OC accordingly. You are one of the fortunate few who can actually perhaps enjoy what OC has to offer. Good for you.

My thread is not an exaggeration and I have now literally over 50+ comments in my account saying that I am right on with my thread. Maybe the traffic thing is an exaggeration on a good day but on a bad day I don't think so.

Sports and football is important to many people and I believe that many people would love to see the area have their own football team even if many other people could care less. I was upset when the teams left because I love football and then turned to support the Chargers even though they were several miles away. But then again I wasn't born and raised in an area that really could care less about sports (Not talking about everyone). I was born and raised in the Midwest where College football is a passion.

You could go ahead and start your own thread... that is fine but I would title it. The "truth about California from one of the fortunate people who was able to buy my home several years ago and now I don't have a mortgage payment".

I think you have a right to your opinion but people that are moving into the area right now may perhaps not have the same opportunity that you had several years ago when housing was cheaper and Orange County was not as it is today. You are probably used to the traffic, smog, crime (desensitized) and since you haven't been anywhere else in the last several years you have no comparison.

Thanks for keeping my thread alive... Have a nice 4th watching the fireworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginOC View Post
I know this thread is long and it was started a long time ago, but since it's still going , I thought I'd pop in on it.

I've lived in CA all of my life and in OC for the past 30 years. I'm 40 so I have lived here since I was 10 and have spent my entire adult life here and have raised my kids and helped my husband run his business here. In fact, I've lived in the exact same house for those 30 years. My husband and I bought it from my mom.

As far as the original post goes, I totally understand that you just don't like OC. But, much of what was posted is exaggerated. I don't get the pro sports issue. So we don't have football? So what? I live a few miles from Angel stadium (can hear the Friday fireworks from home) and that place is always packed. You can see the stands full of red shirts when you drive by on game days.

Air quality? Well, it's not great. That's for sure. But, like others have said, it's better than it used to be. I will say, though, that from my house, you should be able to see the mountains. But, you usually can't.

Traffic? That was a pretty wild exaggeration. It certainly could in very unusual circumstances take 2-3 hours to go 10 miles but the OP said it takes that "most of the time" and that is very far from the truth. The traffic is not pretty but it is not as bad as the OP made it out to be.

The crime assertions are also greatly exaggerated! To claim that Yorba Linda has a murder problem is utterly absurd! I live in a neighboring city to Yorba Linda and it is an extremely safe city. To say that anything north of Irvine is not safe is simply false! I have lived in North Orange County for 30 years and the vast majority of it is perfectly safe! Even the dreaded Santa Ana is not as bad as folks make it out to be. There are very safe areas and not so safe areas of Santa Ana.

I don't know much about the job situation since we own our own business but I don't know anyone who has lost their job yet or that has had trouble finding a job.

It is definitely expensive to live here! To me, that is the biggest drawback. A house on the next street over from me just sold for over $530,000. It only has 1800 sq feet and a 7,000 sq ft lot.

I don't find it overly crowded but there are lots of people here. The beach communities are lovely. The more inland communities get hotter. We can get to the beach or to the mountains in less than an hour from just about anywhere in the county. The Santa Ana winds can be fierce and wreak havoc as far as wild fires are concerned. That pops up every October and November without fail. The mountains receive lots of snow in the winter (typically) and there are ski slopes for winter play.

It's not perfect; that's for sure. But, as I was reading the OP, it didn't even sound like OC was being described.

Just a couple of pennies from someone who is a long time resident.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:39 PM

56 posts, read 143,735 times
Raelyn, Also, when you live in an area all your life, and haven't lived elsewhere, you really have nothing else to compare it to. By the way, one of my sons had allergies and he felt the best when we lived in Colorado. It's dry but doesn't have the horrendous heat of Arizona.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
You are speaking from a perspective of one who has had a house for a long time. So you are one of the fortunate ones. You also own a business so you probably do well with tax returns etc. If you have owned your home for 30 years you probably don't pay a mortgage payment right? Well then you have a good motivator to be there and have adjusted your view of OC accordingly. You are one of the fortunate few who can actually perhaps enjoy what OC has to offer. Good for you.
No. What I said was that I am 40 years old and that I've lived in this house since I was 10. So, I have not owned this house for 30 years. My husband and I rented it from my mom for 10 years and then bought it from her. So, we've owned it for 10 years and do, in fact, still have a mortgage.

We own a business but some years our employees actually make more than we do. By OC standards, we make a very average salary (less than 6 figures).

I know you don't like CA and OC in particular but your claims are still exaggerated. The claims made about crime here are just false. Do you still maintain that Yorba Linda has a crime issue?

As for the football, I understand that you want a football team where you live (although since you live on the ID-WA border, you don't have a football team now either) but that is simply not a priority for lots of people.

The fact is that your perception of OC is not the "truth" as you stated. It's your opinion but that doesn't make it truth. And, in fact, a few of the things you claimed as truth are blatantly false.

Everyone should live where they are happy and content. If OC isn't for you that's great. I actually hope to move away from here one day to a place that is a little slower paced and has a lower cost of living. I've lived here for 3/4 of my life but I have no loyalty to the place. I just felt compelled to address some of the exaggerations.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe the traffic thing is an exaggeration on a good day but on a bad day I don't think so.
BTW, I've been driving for 24 years and learned to drive on the OC freeways. I can count on one hand the times it has taken me 2-3 hours to go 10 miles! The most recent was 1 1/2 years ago on Thanksgiving driving east bound on the 91 towards the 15.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:04 AM

I know and I have also stated that aspect as well on another thread. Thanks though for your support..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere65 View Post
Raelyn, Also, when you live in an area all your life, and haven't lived elsewhere, you really have nothing else to compare it to. By the way, one of my sons had allergies and he felt the best when we lived in Colorado. It's dry but doesn't have the horrendous heat of Arizona.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:05 AM

Well, then you are also fortunate to have been able to avoid most bad days. Good for you once again

Quote:
BTW, I've been driving for 24 years and learned to drive on the OC freeways. I can count on one hand the times it has taken me 2-3 hours to go 10 miles! The most recent was 1 1/2 years ago on Thanksgiving driving east bound on the 91 towards the 15.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 AM

You know what?? I have been over and over this same old stuff with several different people so I am not going to argue about my thread any longer. I am repeating myself and it is becoming annoying. It is a long thread but start from the beginning sometime then maybe you will not be making statements that have already been hashed over many time and time again. My thread is my thread and I am not going to change the title. Just like I have said many times if you don't like the title or subject matter then go to another one or start your own. It is a free country and I can say what I want to say. Take it or leave it, your choice... I state the truth from my experience even if it isn't the truth from your perspective...

THE MERIUM ONLINE DICTIONARY:

truth Pronunciation: \ˈtrüth\ Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural truths \ˈtrüthz, ˈtrüths\ Etymology: Middle English trewthe, from Old English trēowth fidelity; akin to Old English trēowe faithful — more at true Date: before 12th century 1 aarchaic : fidelity, constancy b: sincerity in action, character, and utterance2 a (1): the state of being the case : fact (2): the body of real things, events, and facts : actuality (3)often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality b: a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true <truths of thermodynamics> c: the body of true statements and propositions3 a: the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality bchiefly British : true 2 c: fidelity to an original or to a standard4capitalized Christian Science : god
— in truth : in accordance with fact : actually

It was a fact that I lived in OC and experienced the things I have spoken about in this thread. I have also been sincere in my action, character, and utterance.

Quote:
No. What I said was that I am 40 years old and that I've lived in this house since I was 10. So, I have not owned this house for 30 years. My husband and I rented it from my mom for 10 years and then bought it from her. So, we've owned it for 10 years and do, in fact, still have a mortgage.

We own a business but some years our employees actually make more than we do. By OC standards, we make a very average salary (less than 6 figures).

I know you don't like CA and OC in particular but your claims are still exaggerated. The claims made about crime here are just false. Do you still maintain that Yorba Linda has a crime issue?

As for the football, I understand that you want a football team where you live (although since you live on the ID-WA border, you don't have a football team now either) but that is simply not a priority for lots of people.

The fact is that your perception of OC is not the "truth" as you stated. It's your opinion but that doesn't make it truth. And, in fact, a few of the things you claimed as truth are blatantly false.

Everyone should live where they are happy and content. If OC isn't for you that's great. I actually hope to move away from here one day to a place that is a little slower paced and has a lower cost of living. I've lived here for 3/4 of my life but I have no loyalty to the place. I just felt compelled to address some of the exaggerations.

Last edited by Raelyn28; 07-04-2009 at 03:44 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 17,992 times
I lived in one of the first subdivisions that was then called El Toro, but now it is Lake Forrest. 5 miles to Laguna, a view of the mountains, very friendly neighbors. Leisure World was 3 or 4 years old and our home cost $18,222.00, and if you moved in before Christmas the builder paid for the Moving Van and the packing of our household things. Yes, those were the days, my friend, we thought they would never end. That house today, in a down market, is around 600K. We moved to Florida and canals with your own docks backed your home. Aerospace went downhill and back to Ca, then onto an Oil Company in Bakersfield, Ca. OMG, I hated it and I never felt as though I was living in Ca anymore. OK is more like it, but you can own a gorgeous home on a large lot-1400 sq ft lot, with a median price of $200K+. The eastside of town is dangerously loaded with drive bys, gangs, poverty, and hard working hispanics. The Northwest and Southwest and West side of town is newer, and while the we live in a sort of United Nations (%?) we do have a sense of being safe. It does seem like that is the most important thought on every mind, will we be safe. I never drive into the east side of town, although I hear they have great ethnic grocery stores, but some hispanic with her big truck and gigantic tires tried to bully me into letting her into the turning lane, and i was committed and could not move. I was afraid she would make a cell phone call to a gang member or pull a gun, because it does seem that the way to settle things is to shoot and run.
When living here in the '70's, one never saw on the evening news that a hispanic husband shot and killed his wife, or his wife and kids, or shot his whole family and then himself, or shot the wife, took the kids and dropped down across the border, before the murder had been discovered. Transferred in 1980 came back in '85 and the above mentioned was on the TV news almost every month, then it was more than one week a month and then it "progressed" to a couple times/week.
Point is, if you like the dessert (according to rainfall) and low property taxes, cheap water, decent price of a good home, and rather peaceful elementary and middle schools, then little OK is for you. Why OK, if your ancestors didn't come out to farm and ranch before the dust bowel, then they came later because of it.
For sure this is not SoCal, even though the map says we are. This is a whole dif way of thinking, living, but what you don't know doesn't cause you to long for the smell of the 4:00 PM onshore breeze. all the galleries, entertainment, churches, exhibitions, culture, shopping of the real SoCal. Traffic over slow death is better any day. But you can own a home here, but I would homeschool, if I had it all to do over again.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Well, then you are also fortunate to have been able to avoid most bad days. Good for you once again
Wow, driving for 24 years and avoided most of the bad days. I must be the luckiest person alive!

I did read the thread from the very beginning. I decided to add to it to contribute to those who were giving a more balanced view of OC. I know you hated it here and that's OK...really...it is. I sympathize with you.

But, you said you wanted to help people who were considering moving here and it's not helpful to just give the point of view of someone who doesn't like it here. Someone considering it, needs the pros and the cons not just an exaggeration of the cons.

I'm the first to say that OC is not the perfect place to live. It will be a good fit for some and not a good fit for others. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I'm comfortable here because I've been here for what seems like forever. But, I don't love it. I don't hate it either. Personally, I don't feel it's right to try to sway people based on the things I dislike without also presenting the positives. After all, I think this forum exists so that people can make educated decisions on re-location based on realistic testimony from people who already live in the area they are considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County