Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
This is a VERY good post because it's 100% true! Reading this reminded me of a click of people that I use to hang out with/do business with who were a bunch of real estate moguls/investors in the LA county area and were doing quite well; they were millionaires (less then 10 mil).

Well, after getting to really know these people over the course of 2 years I concluded that there entire mission in life was money, image and status, and if you did not have it, to them, you were worthless and they really did not want you in there circle.

I was under there wings to be groomed but I walked away as I knew making money was not the center point in my life and also because I HATED there condescending attitude for people who had little money! Gezz, 10 million or less collectively is chump change anyway compared to some of these guys who throw a ball in a hoop for 100 million over a few years or the Rockefellers who are worth trillions.

In the end, as cocoayin said, the "get money screw the rest" attitude is so pervasive throughout southern California that it's part of the reasons why that once wonderful state is culturally and economically going down the drain.

RIP Southern California 1850-1979

I have to agree. You seldom find a greater number of more shallow, self centered, truly nasty, greedy people anywhere in the world as you do in California. I honestly think they are completely soulless! They truly have no capacity to love anything or anyone, including their own children. Its not normal to be so superficial and so obsessed with nothing else but money. Life has so many things of greater value; money is only a necessity, but not life itself.

Its interesting how different people are that I meet from the east coast. You can actually have a conversation with an east coaster.... You can discuss politics, social issues, art, history, name it. This would not be possible in California, especially southern California and the OC. They're only interested in one thing: themselves. So they don't know and don't care about any other subject (just check the morning programs how shallow they are in So Cal. You can't even find quality news).
There are women on the east coast - honestly - who actually don't give a damn what Paris Hilton wears, have NOT had plastic surgery nor is interested in it, and are NOT planning to be a gold digger. Yes, these may be shocking statements for someone coming from California, but is nevertheless true.

Last edited by antibes; 07-14-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
I am starting to admire the honesty in all these posts but I don't want all you guys to get bummed because you live in OC. No matter where you are there is ALWAYS something good and beautiful to enjoy. Although I wouldn't recommend for anyone to move there without a job or adequate income so that they could enjoy the beach areas I still think that there are ways to make life work. I would probably do things so much different if I had to go back there. Maybe try to find a house in foreclosure close to the beach or a nice rental for awhile. I don't know but I would try and while I was at it I would enjoy Disneyland on those rainy nights when nobody goes and spend time at the more secluded beaches in southern OC whenever possible. I used to like Dana Point and San Clemente... And I enjoyed Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. There is so much beauty there and it is too bad that it has changed so dramatically over the years.

Anyway,,, peace to all of you and thanks for sharing your life with others. whether good or bad.. And now I am moving from Beautiful Washington State to Oklahoma where the weather is in the upper 90's. I will have no ocean, no mountains... I have got to take my own advise and make it a positive thing for my kids. At least the people are friendly and the cost of living is good!!! There are always negatives whereever life takes us. And always positives as well. Another adventure...

Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I'm a native New York that live in Southern California for the last 21 years.
Last year I left Newport Beach and bought a home in the St. Louis region.
I hate it here.
Sure there is less traffic and the housing is cheaper hear. But Missouri is a but-arse ugly state (don't tell that to the locals)There is also a very definite redneck mindset here that doesn't take kindly to Newcomers.

I never found the people in SoCal to be gold-digging phonies, and they are definitely more genuine in character than some of the people I've met here (Check out Clayton, MO if you want to see phonies)

I miss the beaches, sailing, cycling on the bike trails. Hiking in real mountains.

I'm looking for a way to return to the west coast.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 07-15-2009 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM

142 posts, read 471,359 times
While I would agree Oc, California in general is an expensive place to live, I don't understand the people on here who keep saying that the East coast is so much better, the people are better etc. I went to school in NYC, paid close to $2,000 a month for a closet sized apartment in Hell's Kitchen, found lots of people hung up on material possessions. The joke between myself and a few friends was here's the 3 questions you get asked in NYC 1- What do you do? 2- Where do you live? (God forbid you don't live in Manhattan) 3- Who is your therapist? I also lived in West Palm Beach Florida and Miami and omg materialism is alive and well there too!
OC may have it's faults but it is not WORSE than any other cosmopolitan area. Isn't your well-being dependant on who you are? Not what you have? As Raelyn said above, rent if you can't own, the fallacy of it being the ideal to own a home is not always feasible nowadays. Don't keep up with the Joneses, cause most likely they're in foreclosure!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoll View Post
The joke between myself and a few friends was here's the 3 questions you get asked in NYC 1- What do you do? 2- Where do you live? (God forbid you don't live in Manhattan) 3- Who is your therapist?
It does sound funny but I think there is some truth to it. I think a lot of people need therapy but only some can afford it (or have insurance for it). The therapist question is more realistic than we think.

People who can't afford therapy simply don't go and the question isn't often asked. Either that or they aren't open minded enough (weaker than the stigma) to explore therapy. Wealth often correlates with education which may correlate with being open minded which might increase the likelihood of going to therapy.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It does sound funny but I think there is some truth to it. I think a lot of people need therapy but only some can afford it (or have insurance for it). The therapist question is more realistic than we think.

People who can't afford therapy simply don't go and the question isn't often asked. Either that or they aren't open minded enough (weaker than the stigma) to explore therapy. Wealth often correlates with education which may correlate with being open minded which might increase the likelihood of going to therapy.
That, or they're all just neurotic.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM

142 posts, read 471,359 times
I don't know if it was either of those things or a combination of both, it also seemed to be something of a status symbol.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
I don't know if it was either of those things or a combination of both, it also seemed to be something of a status symbol.
I guess it's better than "So, are you still doing the therapist?"

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
You guys have mentioned a couple of areas that I wouldn't want to live. Missouri (boring) and NYC (crowded, expensive, fast paced, etc). There are other places in between OC and those places that I believe are much better. I get what you are trying to say and basically everyone needs to go where they want to go. Fortunately with sites like this forum, it makes it much easier to find a place if you ask the right questions. I hope all you are happy and you get to where you want to be and enjoy life... Good luck!!

Quote:
While I would agree Oc, California in general is an expensive place to live, I don't understand the people on here who keep saying that the East coast is so much better, the people are better etc. I went to school in NYC, paid close to $2,000 a month for a closet sized apartment in Hell's Kitchen, found lots of people hung up on material possessions. The joke between myself and a few friends was here's the 3 questions you get asked in NYC 1- What do you do? 2- Where do you live? (God forbid you don't live in Manhattan) 3- Who is your therapist? I also lived in West Palm Beach Florida and Miami and omg materialism is alive and well there too!
OC may have it's faults but it is not WORSE than any other cosmopolitan area. Isn't your well-being dependant on who you are? Not what you have? As Raelyn said above, rent if you can't own, the fallacy of it being the ideal to own a home is not always feasible nowadays. Don't keep up with the Joneses, cause most likely they're in foreclosure!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,250 times
A lot of people are judgmental. C how that works? My point is, that if more people could just take care of their own, and not worry about how others view them in any situation, being social, ethical or personal, and people would be themselves, than maybe more of us would get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County