Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:29 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
that was just meant as a light jab; these things don't come across well over the internet, apparently. I tease my friends about living in the 909 all the time, including a cousin who lives in Diamond Bar, and another who's buying a house in Menifee.
I don't love the 909 but I can think of several other area codes I can slam...which will remain numberless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I bought this parcel years ago, as in the early eighties. Bought the land and the old farmhouse from the original owners' heirs.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
If someone thinks you are a lower life form, whether they are public or private about it, it's all the same. The only thing is whether your feelings are spared or not.

For instance, I routinely serve less food at the restaurant I work at to Hispanics. They are none the wiser.
I've had this happen to me at a Mexican Restaurant once by Hispanics and was'nt too happy about it.Any intelligent person could see it for what it is "Racism".Any establishment that limits/restricts product and/or sevices based on race deserves to fail.Which this place did,it closed in a short time afterward.This kind of stuff is really ridiculous and just fosters ill will and resentment.I've had poor service before but thankfully this is only 1 isolated incident not because of his race,but because he was an A hole.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Any establishment that limits/restricts product and/or sevices based on race deserves to fail.

This kind of stuff is really ridiculous and just fosters ill will and resentment.
Do these values apply to the government too, or only restaurants?

The Toll of Racial Quotas and Preferences: True Horror Stories.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do these values apply to the government too, or only restaurants?

The Toll of Racial Quotas and Preferences: True Horror Stories.
Racial quotas for groups doing business with the Government,admissions into schools should be eliminated.Trying rectify the wrongs of the past by discriminating against people who had nothing to do with what happened in the past is just as discriminatory.
Government organizations should eliminate this practice and their standards should be reworked to be equal and colorblind.This PC BS has gone to far.What next? Midgets are a minority group and maybe they should sue the NBA so they will be forced to have "Little People" on their teams?Would you want a qualified Doctor for your next operation or one that they had to lower the qualifications for because of his/her "group"?The jobs,contracts and positions should go to the most qualified.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
standards should be reworked to be equal

The jobs,contracts and positions should go to the most qualified.
Why have women's sports leagues? That's discrimination against men assuming men are prevented from playing in that league. Women's golf tees are closer to the hole. Women's only gyms do not allow men. Handicapped parking discriminates against the non handicapped. I can't (yet) get a 5% senior discount at the grocery store or barber. I can't order from the child's menu. A child, even though he occupies one seat, is charged less in a movie theater. HOV lanes allow an adult and a two year old kid even though that isn't carpooling (shouldn't it be two licensed drivers?).

Where is the line drawn?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why have women's sports leagues? That's discrimination against men assuming men are prevented from playing in that league. Women's golf tees are closer to the hole. Women's only gyms do not allow men. Handicapped parking discriminates against the non handicapped. I can't (yet) get a 5% senior discount at the grocery store or barber. I can't order from the child's menu. A child, even though he occupies one seat, is charged less in a movie theater. HOV lanes allow an adult and a two year old kid even though that isn't carpooling (shouldn't it be two licensed drivers?).

Where is the line drawn?
...in the sand, and it remains there until the wind picks up.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
I've had this happen to me at a Mexican Restaurant once by Hispanics and was'nt too happy about it.Any intelligent person could see it for what it is "Racism".Any establishment that limits/restricts product and/or sevices based on race deserves to fail.Which this place did,it closed in a short time afterward.This kind of stuff is really ridiculous and just fosters ill will and resentment.I've had poor service before but thankfully this is only 1 isolated incident not because of his race,but because he was an A hole.
I agree w/ this & also to you Mr. F, I recently contacted the main branch of a restaurant chain because this manager at a particular location (who's of a certain race, not white) had a habit of NOT offering food to patrons of another certain race at this buffet restaurant. I've visited the restaurant several times in the past couple of yrs, so this mgr's actions wasn't just a one time thing. He probably thinks that no one would notice things like that & him being a mgr could get away w/ it.

I haven't been back to the restuarant yet, but I hope they fire his ass.

The moral to anyone: Don't expect success in life if you're going to treat people badly.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
When I lived in Orange County back in the early 90's I heard of KKK groups that used to roll around area's like Fullerton and even Buena Park where I used to live, but never heard of extreme hatred among minorities when living there. As a matter of fact, my neighborhood was very diverse, and never were people treaded differently because of their race and culture.

Down here in San Diego, especially in the area of East County which is mostly White and has a lot rednecks, white trash folk, die hard patriotic Americans that are very conservative which are not really tolerant to different kinds of people thanks to SD's Military presence. This is mostly true in the cities of Santee, parts of El Cajon, Lakeside, Alpine and the further east you go the worse it gets.

The difference between racism probability in OC and SD, is that OC racism looks to be more of wealthy type of racism, since many areas of OC are very well off, they might have this feeling of that they are higher than all other races of people because of the money they make, so it might be because of income "Like I'm better than you because I make $150,000 a year", more so than just flat out hate because of the persons skin color, accent and political beliefs.

In San Diego, most of the racism you hear of comes from East County where the income levels range from very low income to middle class. So the racism is more about actual hate especially towards Mexicans, because of the border, illegal immigration, and local media having nothing positive to say about Mexico which just fuels even more tension among whites and hispanic's. But even places like Escondido in North County has had issues with hate crime, and or the city always setting up checkpoints on purpose in mainly Hispanic neighborhoods to try to catch illegals, and basically just to harass and make the people feel uncomfortable.

I believe that if more of the Whites in East County were a little more well off, highly educated, we wouldn't have as much intolerance. Not that it's really bad or anything, but you feel this strange feeling as minority like you don't belong in certain neighborhoods. Up in the OC I never felt like I was an outcast, in all seriousness, OC seems and looks much more diverse racially than San Diego County, just driving on the freeways up there you notice this. I believe the reason why, is the fact that you have LA as your neighbor which already massively diverse, and because San Diego feels more segregated, while OC has rich people of all races living amongst each other.

But San Diego City, and the South Bay area are nothing like East County, it's funny because San Diego can change a persons perception about the city, based off ones location since San Diego is dramatically different from EC and North County, politically and racially. So if you were staying in say National City, your going to think "Wow SD has a ton of Mexicans and Filipinos", but stay in Santee, "Wow SD is full of white people". San Diego overall is more liberal, East County is conservative, but more of that Alabama-Texas political conservative belief, North County Inland (Not as much Coastal) is also conservative, but more of a wealthy conservative belief that lowers taxes for the rich. So the racial intolerance seems to be more prevalent in East County because of the higher levels of lower income Whites, I say this because you barely ever hear of minority on minority hate crime, this rarely ever happens.

East County is just part of SD, and doesn't reflect all of San Diego.

Last edited by sdlife619; 03-30-2010 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 27,768 times
Wow well you guys are giving me a wealth of information.. I moved from the south to Seattle and I had hope that Cali cities would be like Seattle laid back highly educated people that are more into books than race.. A good amount of them are.. I'm thinking of giving San diego a shot. I was shocked coming from the deep south how so amazingly accepting people are in Seattle.. Seattle has to be the first city that I forgot what race I was because the south NC GA SC AL will remind you every day if you forget that you are not white. haha.. It's not black jokes but more of getting called BOY haha or your kind don't belong here. I mean its 100 times better there than it use to be but only in the major cities and the cities that are half black but the ones that are not they will remind you quick.. I have never lived in San diego but I vacation there a lot and never had a problem if anything people were helpful and some of the girls of a lot of different races seem to be very extremely friendly in SD haha.. Good Times!! I know sometimes living somewhere and vacations are different.. I just hope I'm not running back screaming to my book worm star bucks drinking poetry reading hard rock people in Seattle with people yelling white power running behind me after this move to SD haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County