Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
The absurdly trolling and alarmist title justifies locking this thread. Start a new one with some rationality.

I was just at Irvine Spectrum this past weekend and lost count of the races and colors, and everyone's having a good time. I see interracial couples everywhere.

How do you measure the racism of a county? First you have to define racism and then what makes up a racist act. Then you have to gather statistics and start comparing the data.
Mach50 stated before that someone at a Starbucks in OC refused to serve him because he was Hispanic.

My question is why didn't he file a multi-million dollar law suit and buy himself a new Corvette?

Because it's unlikely it ever happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Especially since he's only half Hispanic or Mexican, if memory serves me.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Mach50 stated before that someone at a Starbucks in OC refused to serve him because he was Hispanic.

My question is why didn't he file a multi-million dollar law suit and buy himself a new Corvette?

Because it's unlikely it ever happened.
Well that and few businesses could survive here refusing to serve half the population.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Especially since he's only half Hispanic or Mexican, if memory serves me.
Well I'm sure half of his genome must be really offended at the outright racism that occurs in OC Starbucks establishments.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well that and few businesses could survive here refusing to serve half the population.
But why would Mach50 lie about OC being generally hostile to Hispanics? Maybe OC Hispanics are different than normal hispanics?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
This whole thread is fatuous. OC is not any more racist than any other part of the United States. In fact it is a shinning example of multi-ethnic assimilation. The abundant ethnic and economic diversity of the county is very unusual.

OC's recent immigrant populations have actually assimilated into the surrounding culture surprisingly well. You find extraordinary diversity in newer communities like Irvine and Ladera Ranch, along with the schools and churches within them. OC's culture of political conservatism also has not changed, contrary to some media reports. OC's recent immigrant populations, largely Asian and Hispanic, have tended to follow the political alignment that has been present in the area for generations. OC Hispanics and Asians are among the most politically conservative in the United States.

Instances of racism occur in all plural societies. There is no evidence to suggest that OC is any more racist than other parts of the US.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 AM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
Whores like Meg Whitman would be more at home in Orange County than black folks.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,950 times
I've lived in south Orange County, Laguna Beach/ Niguel area, since 1989. From my experience, it was more racist, like a lot more, in 1989 then than it is now in 2011. The shift in the level of education residents have makes a huge difference, affecting socioeconomic status. Back then, it was more middle class, where it was still a deal to own a Mercedes or any luxury vehicle(s). Since then, there's been more people coming in from various countries around the world with "old" money in an attempt to go to the best private and public Ivy universities in southern California or to escape political prosecution, etc. The ignorant and uneducated KKK have long disappeared. The racism I see now, for example, are mostly positive attributes torwards Asians, such as being hard workers that make buckets of money in executive or technical corporate jobs and drive luxury cars, to those negative against hispanics, which hasn't really changed much since the 80's. I lived in the bay area for a while (just moved back down) and I must say that it is much more racist in norcal, much like racism found in major European cities. All I can say is that northern california is ghetto, in the sense of ignorance, lack of education, and poverty. I guess not having that multi cultural college experience then getting that highly technical job afterwards, working with bright, well mannered, intelligent people from many different cultures is part of the lack of exposure.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azertyazerty View Post
I've lived in south Orange County, Laguna Beach/ Niguel area, since 1989. From my experience, it was more racist, like a lot more, in 1989 then than it is now in 2011. The shift in the level of education residents have makes a huge difference, affecting socioeconomic status. Back then, it was more middle class, where it was still a deal to own a Mercedes or any luxury vehicle(s). Since then, there's been more people coming in from various countries around the world with "old" money in an attempt to go to the best private and public Ivy universities in southern California or to escape political prosecution, etc. The ignorant and uneducated KKK have long disappeared. The racism I see now, for example, are mostly positive attributes torwards Asians, such as being hard workers that make buckets of money in executive or technical corporate jobs and drive luxury cars, to those negative against hispanics, which hasn't really changed much since the 80's. I lived in the bay area for a while (just moved back down) and I must say that it is much more racist in norcal, much like racism found in major European cities. All I can say is that northern california is ghetto, in the sense of ignorance, lack of education, and poverty. I guess not having that multi cultural college experience then getting that highly technical job afterwards, working with bright, well mannered, intelligent people from many different cultures is part of the lack of exposure.

by definition there are only eight IVY League universities...Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth ,Cornell and Duke.
none are in California and none are public schools

how you can say that Northern Calif is ignorant and not educated?? Have you never heard of Stanford (private) or Berkeley(number one public university in the nation)..

not to mention who populates the Silicon Valley??

Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times
I'm sure it's already been discussed, but the Black family that was pushed out of Yorba Linda by racism, and then to see this:

Hate Comes to Orange County / Racism in America / USA /

I guess statistically speaking OC is def. not the most racist county; but to see such prolific racism and such a lack of cultural diversity in an area which is so affluent is shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County