Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Yes it is extremely racist. I remember when me n' maw pa used to take me to the local Klan meetings after we got done watching NASCAR and knockin' back some Cuuuuuurrrs Laaight. I was only five then. We'd wave our Confederate flag and reminisce about the good ol' days.
An' I had a permnint round mark in mah shirt pocket from mah chaw tin ... 'member all them brown marks on the floor in the HS classrooms?

LOLOL!!!

(In fact, this really did occur, but not in OC ... in another California country, in, of all places, the Bay Area!!! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,233 times
Why do people think conservative = racist.

I dont get it. We have some extremely intolerant people, but most are NOT white.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,337 times
I don't think they are racist necessarily here..it's just the only other races than white are "mexican" (as they will say here even if you are central or south american, or even from spain)....and "asian" (even if you are vietnamese, chinese, or japanese)...so there are generally 3 types of people...and the norm here is expected to be white, although I'd have to say pure white (if you can say that...unmixed) is a very very small percentage.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,698 times
Or maybe perhaps blonde which is totally not accepted in Southern CA. LOL!! You guys prove my point, I am soooo glad to be out of there!! mommyntheoc, run for the hills!!! You can come stay with me if you want!!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,337 times
LOL They're just lambs in lions clothing....I feel sad for many of them, one day they will wake up, but hopefully not for their own sake, they'd probably die of shock...of course, the hatred will eat them from the inside out first...I wonder which will win? Hmmm...OC is like a big social experiment! :-)

Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Why do people think conservative = racist.

I dont get it. We have some extremely intolerant people, but most are NOT white.

Because being a conservative generally connotes being nationalistic, true to one culture, and beholden to one religion. Just add, we're better than you because of our genes, and you got a problem.

Japan for example is a country that is more racist than us, or at the very least the most intolerant to "gaijin" because of thier historical cultural isolation and national pride. Not to mention their assimilation policies towards immigrants. You can never truely be Japanese if you are an outsider.

Now here in So Cal I've heard lots of people in OC say (prima facie) that "Illegals" should go back to Mexico, with no other explanation. One immediately assumes racism, especially when there's no rebuttal to the contrary.

I think what has happened especially after talking to a lot of conservatives is that MOST aren't racist, however some of their assumed animosity comes from the negative experiences they've have with their perceptions of Mexicans and South Americans. "Taking jobs, running down cities, wasting health care dollars" all of which side on flimsy arguments and at their core are based on fear, rather than logic.

If anything I wouldn't call OC racist. Rather (somewhat conservatively) I'd say that OC doesn't suffer as much from "white guilt" as other parts of So Cal.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
Regardless of political stance, I believe in the melting pot. The US suffers from taking in immigrants legal or illegal that refuse assimilation at any level. It creates division that cannot be overlooked and weakens the core of a very large nation(which makes it more susceptible to problems like this). We can see how this problem has hurt Europe with the influx of self-segregating, self-ruling Muslim cultures and Eastern Europeans that send their cash back to their home countries while taking low end labor positions(very similar situation to Central and Southern Americans in the US).

When the melting pot is not embraced by whole cultures, you will have major problems. It's not so much nationalism as it is for the good of community health. And of course, nationalism/patriotism isn't necessarily a bad thing; it just depends on how it is applied by the population.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 20,353 times
Default Orange County

NO! There are more mexicans in O C than in mexico city.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnmona View Post
NO! There are more mexicans in O C than in mexico city.
?como?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times
Didn't I read just in the last few days the Justice Dept is investigating a Latino gang in LA that is carrying out racially motivated murders targeting blacks? Does Orange County have anything that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County