Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 PM

40 posts, read 175,585 times

Advertisements

I have no doubt that OC has racists. But I don't think its predominant at all. I suspect the Inland Empire is far worse. Or maybe I just don't associate with the OC people who are racist. I find the attitude here to be very progressive and open-minded when it comes to accepting race, religion, sexual orientation, politics, etc. That's been my experience at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,262 times
Hell no. I've lived all over California and I'd have to say Kern County is the worst. I couldn't stand that hellhole. Bakersfield has actual racist white trash neighborhoods then you got the town of taft which is an acronym for theyr'e all f**kin tweekers but the worst is Oildale. That place is a trip its nothing to see people with out right swatstikas tattoed on them there. just read this wiki article.

Oildale, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 8,237 times
NO OC is not racist, i would think its the least!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
Well my experience in OC sucked as far as racism but I'll admit we are not your "typical OC" Mexican family either. We are not religious, we are not conservative, we are not new immigrants, we have an eduction and we have lived in many areas where Hispanics are not considered the low class.

I have never heard or received so many racial comments in my life until I lived in South OC.

I don't stand so well to hearing things like "just hire a Mexican" or the word wetb***s being thrown around by white/asian people. Or, my favorite is being asked "do you speak english?". haha love it OC!

So...Compared to Long Beach, San Diego, BayArea and Sacramento, OC is much worse as far as racial consciousness IMO.

There are definitely more racist counties though, Ridgecrest in Kern Co is probably they worst place I have ever been in, but along the Coast...I'd have to say OC was the worse for us, by far.

Last edited by Mach50; 06-12-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 AM

8 posts, read 32,540 times
Default An AA perspective: The OC, LA, IE, SB, Whites, Latinos, Asians

Really the question should be which counties are more racially hostile. And for whom? It is going to be different for different races in different places in relation with different races. I do not know a lot about all the counties in California but I know a lot about Southern California.
I’m African American and I spent about the first 20 years of my life in the OC and spent the next 10 years in various parts of Los Angeles areas often living in the whitest enclaves.

Now first let me say that I think most people of all races are decent people. Unfortunately, some bad people of all races create problems that all the rest of us have to deal with. So what I am about to say is going to be me painting in broad strokes for simplicities sake and in relation to being an African American in some of the counties discussed.

White people in the OC are less overtly hostile than white people in San Bernardino or the Inland Empire towards AAs in my opinion but more hostile in their attitudes, speech, and actions in the OC as compared to Los Angeles. Not that it does not maybe happen but I have never personally seen or known someone attacked by a skinhead or neo-Nazi etceteras anywhere in Los Angeles County. I have however seen plenty of skinheads in the OC and known people harassed and my family member was a victim of white supremacist. Granted most (but not all) OC skinhead types are softer and less troubling then what one would have to contend with in the Inland Empire or San Bernardino, or basically anywhere you have poor white people.

With regard to crime statistics, do not believe any crime statistics coming from rich OC cities. I know firsthand how some of these cities work. They have to “manage” the numbers to maintain their publicity and squeaky clean images. Most crimes that are committed can often be charged in a variety of ways and most criminal acts usually can have multiple counts. But police have a lot of discretion. But believe me I know firsthand that a minority kid (African American, Hispanic, Asian) in certain OC cities that are the victim of a hate crime will generally be dismissed as a regular assault etceteras whenever possible unless that kid has rich and powerful parents with a team of lawyers. And even then, who knows. I know firsthand but want get into it hear. So hate crime stats (while helpful) are not going to tell you what areas are the most “racially hostile”.

With regard to Hispanics, I think they are much less racist in the OC. In Los Angeles County there are some neighborhoods that I would not enter in broad daylight as an AA if you paid me $50 for fear of attack or harassment and I am not at all exaggerating. I cannot say the same about any neighborhood in the OC that I would be that that fearful of being attacked for being an AA by Hispanics or any other race for that matter. But let me also say that it is not the average Joe hard working Hispanic that is killing the AA'. It is the gangsters. And Los Angeles is a very large county that has plenty of areas where Hispanics and AA’s get along just fine though. And honestly, the latino neighborhoods that I would be afraid to enter are the same ones that most folks of any race would rather not go to. I fell very comfortable in mainstream multi cultural Los Angeles.

With regards to Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese Asians, it is rather funny and ironic in a dark humor way, but I find Asians to be the more racist in attitudes than Whites or Hispanics no matter what county we are talking about. The weird thing is however, I would prefer racist Asians than racist Whites or racist Hispanics any day of the week, because I never hear of any violence with regard to their brand of racism. So in action they are the least racist.

Honestly, I feel most comfortable overall in Los Angeles but would not want to raise kids anywhere in So Cal. Maybe the bay area somewhere some day. Somewhere more tolerant and multicultural. Anybody know if Berkeley or San Francisco are all they are cracked up to be?

Last edited by MRpeaceandlove; 10-02-2009 at 03:45 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRpeaceandlove View Post
Really the question should be which counties are more racially hostile. And for whom? It is going to be different for different races in different places in relation with different races. I do not know a lot about all the counties in California but I know a lot about Southern California.
I’m African American and I spent about the first 20 years of my life in the OC and spent the next 10 years in various parts of Los Angeles areas often living in the whitest enclaves.

Now first let me say that I think most people of all races are decent people. Unfortunately, some bad people of all races create problems that all the rest of us have to deal with. So what I am about to say is going to be me painting in broad strokes for simplicities sake and in relation to being an African American in some of the counties discussed.

White people in the OC are less overtly hostile than white people in San Bernardino or the Inland Empire towards AAs in my opinion but more hostile in their attitudes, speech, and actions in the OC as compared to Los Angeles. Not that it does not maybe happen but I have never personally seen or known someone attacked by a skinhead or neo-Nazi etceteras anywhere in Los Angeles County. I have however seen plenty of skinheads in the OC and known people harassed and my family member was a victim of white supremacist. Granted most (but not all) OC skinhead types are softer and less troubling then what one would have to contend with in the Inland Empire or San Bernardino, or basically anywhere you have poor white people.

With regard to crime statistics, do not believe any crime statistics coming from rich OC cities. I know firsthand how some of these cities work. They have to “manage” the numbers to maintain their publicity and squeaky clean images. Most crimes that are committed can often be charged in a variety of ways and most criminal acts usually can have multiple counts. But police have a lot of discretion. But believe me I know firsthand that a minority kid (African American, Hispanic, Asian) in certain OC cities that are the victim of a hate crime will generally be dismissed as a regular assault etceteras whenever possible unless that kid has rich and powerful parents with a team of lawyers. And even then, who knows. I know firsthand but want get into it hear. So hate crime stats (while helpful) are not going to tell you what areas are the most “racially hostile”.

With regard to Hispanics, I think they are much less racist in the OC. In Los Angeles County there are some neighborhoods that I would not enter in broad daylight as an AA if you paid me $50 for fear of attack or harassment and I am not at all exaggerating. I cannot say the same about any neighborhood in the OC that I would be that that fearful of being attacked for being an AA by Hispanics or any other race for that matter. But let me also say that it is not the average Joe hard working Hispanic that is killing the AA'. It is the gangsters. And Los Angeles is a very large county that has plenty of areas where Hispanics and AA’s get along just fine though. And honestly, the latino neighborhoods that I would be afraid to enter are the same ones that most folks of any race would rather not go to. I fell very comfortable in mainstream multi cultural Los Angeles.

With regards to Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese Asians, it is rather funny and ironic in a dark humor way, but I find Asians to be the more racist in attitudes than Whites or Hispanics no matter what county we are talking about. The weird thing is however, I would prefer racist Asians than racist Whites or racist Hispanics any day of the week, because I never hear of any violence with regard to their brand of racism. So in action they are the least racist.

Honestly, I feel most comfortable overall in Los Angeles but would not want to raise kids anywhere in So Cal. Maybe the bay area somewhere some day. Somewhere more tolerant and multicultural. Anybody know if Berkeley or San Francisco are all they are cracked up to be?
Excellent post and thanks for the candid response.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson View Post
GM files chapter 11, Chrysler is gasping its last breath, without Chinese financial assistance we can't survive and you proud leftwingers are still nipping about racism.....
That's right. Like the typical conservative, appear indifferent to the enormous problem of racism while practicing it.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
As a black man who has visited orange county many times, I cant say that I have had any problems. East san diego county is much much worse. That whole temecula, fall brook, lake side, santee area is bad.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 32,540 times
What is the situation in Northern Caliornia Nor Cal Dude?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,199 times
Racism is not "owned" by whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County