U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,784 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm helping my daughter and son-in law find an apartment in Orange County. They are currently commuting from Oceanside and need to get in closer. My daughter works at USC and takes the metrolink into LA and her husband works in Newport Beach. Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific neighborhood, apartment complex or at least a town they should live in? They only have one car so they need to be somewhat near the metrolink station.
They want a 1 bedroom apt. and are looking to spend about 1300 or less. It seems like the apartment reviews are so bad!! Its overwhelming! Would love to hear some first hand experiences of great places to live and eventually raise a family!
Thanks in advance and God Bless!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,744,048 times
Orange could be a nice choice. There is a metrolink near the Block and Mainplace Mall, giving them things to do, and it's along the same rail as the Oceanside rail. Travel to Newport Beach is right down the 55 which turns into Newport Blvd

Old 06-05-2009, 05:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,932,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Orange could be a nice choice. There is a metrolink near the Block and Mainplace Mall, giving them things to do, and it's along the same rail as the Oceanside rail. Travel to Newport Beach is right down the 55 which turns into Newport Blvd
I agree, Orange is a good option. Maybe Fullerton as well, but a longer drive to Newport than Orange. Irvine could work also as it is on the border of Newport and has two train stations nearby (Tustin and Irvine). It would be a slightly longer train commute than Orange or Fullerton, but still much better than Oceanside. Irvine is the most expensive option, Orange and Fullerton are more similarly priced. Take a visit and drive up from Oceanside to visit these areas and see which one "feels" most natural and best.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:19 PM

110 posts, read 416,510 times
I suggest living close to a station that is also an Amtrak stop. From LA downtown to OC you have Fullerton, Anehiem, Santa Ana, Irvine, San Juan Capistrano then Oceanside. Monthly Metrolink passes also work on Amtrak and increase the frequency of trains by almost double. I don't leave Irvine much, so I can't help with the other cities. I can say that having the Amtrak option has made my commute a lot less stressful.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,932,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slang75 View Post
I suggest living close to a station that is also an Amtrak stop. From LA downtown to OC you have Fullerton, Anehiem, Santa Ana, Irvine, San Juan Capistrano then Oceanside. Monthly Metrolink passes also work on Amtrak and increase the frequency of trains by almost double. I don't leave Irvine much, so I can't help with the other cities. I can say that having the Amtrak option has made my commute a lot less stressful.
Yes, very very true. Plus, because Amtrak makes less stops when running on time so an Amtrak train is faster. Although Amtrak does seem more often delayed. I've done Irvine to L.A. Union in 55 minutes on an Amtrak train because it just speeds through some Metrolink only stations. Metrolink usually takes an hour and twenty minutes.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 AM

879 posts, read 2,696,923 times
I'd go with Fullerton, there is a small and cute adjacent Downtown with some apartments and condos. It'd be possible to find a place that wouldn't require a car from home to the station. Irvine's transit center is somewhat remote.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 AM

2,652 posts, read 5,139,973 times
You could try Winwood Glen Apartments in Irvine. It is off Jamboree & offers a straight shot to Newport and is close to the Tustin metrolink station.

Little older, but most of the IAC complexes are pretty well kept up.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,380,292 times
I agree with the previous post on Fullerton. Plenty of apartments to choose from within walking distance of the Metrolink Station, which is located in a lively, very attractive downtown.

Harbor Blvd runs directly into Newport Beach from Fullerton, but that would not be the ideal commute. You'd likely take the 57 fwy for most of the trip to and from work.

As a place to raise a family, Fullerton and Brea (just to the north) are very attractive, walkable communities, and the public schools are excellent.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM

29,919 posts, read 73,184,551 times
When I trained to LA I avoided AMtrack They are more expensive, have far fewer trains are more irregular and are less clean. The one advantage is that you can buy food on the Amtrack trains and some of them have electrical outlets to plug in a computer or phone charger. Oh and watch out for the older trains. Sometimes the AC goes out and it is miserable. I far prefer metrolink and only use Amtrack when there are no metroloink trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>