Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,497 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving out to Orange County from the Philadelphia suburbs for school (FIDM) in January and I've started to look into places around Irvine. Usually my school uses Toscana Apartments for student housing but have options for me to rent on my own. FIDM is on a quarterly schedule and wants way to much for 3 months, so for personal reasons its better to be out there all year. School will help with finding places and referrals but I've read some reviews and I'll be honest I'm a little scared. I'll be 21 when I make the move and moving out for the first time on my own. My mom and I are coming out this fall to look at places, but I want to make sure I chose something in a good area. I will have my car with me so if I do need to commute that is not an issue. Any suggestions?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwallacexo View Post
I'll be moving out to Orange County from the Philadelphia suburbs for school (FIDM) in January and I've started to look into places around Irvine. Usually my school uses Toscana Apartments for student housing but have options for me to rent on my own. FIDM is on a quarterly schedule and wants way to much for 3 months, so for personal reasons its better to be out there all year. School will help with finding places and referrals but I've read some reviews and I'll be honest I'm a little scared. I'll be 21 when I make the move and moving out for the first time on my own. My mom and I are coming out this fall to look at places, but I want to make sure I chose something in a good area. I will have my car with me so if I do need to commute that is not an issue. Any suggestions?!
Howdy from a former Philadelphian (well, Delaware county) currently in Irvine.

First question: what is your budget? That's usually the driving factor in any housing decision here. If you are $1300+utilities there are alot of good options right in Irvine & Tustin Ranch.

On the opposite end of things, you may want to check out craigs list for shared rentals (roomates). With the high cost of housing it is a pretty common practice out here, especailly among the 20 something student set. Many of the 2br apartments & townhouses here are specifically designed for shared living as they have 2 master suites each w/ their own bathroom and then share a common kitchen & living area. When I came out here as a single (many years, a wife & 2 kids ago....) I never even considered the roomate thing as everyone I knew in PA had our own apt. But out here it is common if not the norm at that lifestage. I was actually one of the few in my circle of friends that did have their own place.

Just some food for thought.

Also - check out philly's best cheesesteaks on Barranca when you get to irvine. Only decent cheesesteak in OC, plus they have Tastycakes if you start jonesing for a Krimpet.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 AM

I don't want spend more then $1,500 a month on living. I've started looking at craigslist for private renters as well as roomates. School will also help with roomate referrals, which would also be a lot easier to get to know people. I'm looking to move the begging of January so I've given myself a good time period to way out all options .. thankfully. Reading reviews on line scared me a bit and my main concern is to find somewhere that's a decent place to live. At 21 I don't need to live in a multi million dollar apartment covered in granite and marble but I do want to make sure its a decent apt and nothing to major will happen.

I'll have to check out the cheese steaks! And I'll be stocking up on the Tastycakes, I know I'll miss those. I always get a craving for them when there no where to be found.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
I am assuming the $1.5k is for rent, utilities, ++++ - basically everything to do with housing. For that price you could easily afford a 1BR in Irvine or tustin. Most of the apts. in Irvine and several in Tustin & newport are owned by the Irvine company's apartment division - IAC. Its pretty hard to go wrong with any of the IAC appartments as most are clean and all the areas they operate in are safe. There are a few complexes I would not reccomend due to their proximity to HUD and other low income housing, but for the most part they are pretty nice.

Just be aware that Irvine and Tustin are pretty much family oriented burbs, so not alot going on for a young single. If you are looking for a younger crowd look at places in Newport Beach or Costa Mesa. Be pretty granular in your research on CM, it has a lot of grittier areas and some that are flat out barrios with mexican crammed into stacks of apartments & fourplexes. The Mesa Verde area of CM is OK, but it is an island in a sea of lower income housing. The east side (closer to Irvine/ Newport) tends to be better. Avoid the west side except for the aforementioned Mesa Verde area.

Newport is more wide open. Alot of room rentals and "Mother in Law" type apartments over garages that people rent out by the beach. One unique area would be Balboa Island. It's Newport, but off the pennisula and a bit more quiet, but "the newport scene" is a short ferry or car ride away. Make sure anyplace you get on Balboa comes woth parking as it is a pain to find on the island, particularly in the summer. The pennisula has alot going on, but it is alot of short term rentals (think Avalon/Stone Harbor at the shore) with all the noise, partying and rabble rousing that goes w/ that. The Corona Del Mar area of newport is VERY nice - also very expensive & snooty - but there are some MIL type rentals there as well. Again Craigslist and maybe realtor.com would be your best bet to ID some of these in Newport.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 PM

yes the $1,500 would include all of that. i've found a few places on line that i like that i've added to my list to check out when i come out, some being in the newport area. i've checked out the irvine company's website and was going to look at a few of the location as well but i'm starting to like the roomate idea, even if its to sublet for someone this way i can get use to the area and find somewhere that will be a good location to fit me and my life style. looking online has been a bit harder then what i was thinking it would be. thank you for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County