Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 24,725 times

Advertisements

Thank you all soo much for your help!! I'm still not sure about my safety though... what I've realized reading about Santa Ana (on this thread and on any thread) seems a little contradicting to me... some poeple say Santa Ana is a really horrible place full of gangs and crime and make it look like the Bronx, others say it's no big deal and that there's no more crime than in other places and that the only thing about Santa Ana is that it's full of Mexican people and that those who say it's a bad place say it because they're somehow racist against Mexicans and they're afraid of them and don't really know what's going on in Santa Ana. I don't really know what the truth about Santa Ana is, but I'm incredibly thankful to all of you for your comments and help and for expressing your opinions and points of view about Santa Ana, they all helped!!!=)

And replying to "antibes": LOL, well, thank you, I'm very glad my English is that good, yes I've been to America before but never lived years over there. My spoken English is a lot worse than my written one though... anyway I don't know what's odd about my posts?? What is unusual for me (an European) to know in English?? =P Me selling apartments??? ROFLOL!!!
Someone posted a link to some real estate site when I mentioned Windsor Village North to ask me if that was the area, I didn't post it, and does that make you think I'm here to sell apartments?? geez... I don't think I've mentioned anything other than asking about how Santa Ana is like and if it would be safe for me, why so suspicious?? you're the second person who says I can't be an exchange student because my English is too good to be foreign and yadda yadda. I didn't even know Santa Ana existed, found out I was staying there, googled it to see how it was like and found horrible stuff about it and found this forum, got worried and I thought I'd ask here since a lot of people here know the area!! what is so bad and makes me so "suspicious"??
Anyway thanks for your advice!! I think I'll be in Windsor Village North, that's why I was asking about it
And BTW... could anybody please let me know what "street smart" means?? I keep reading you have to be street smart or use street smarts in Santa Ana but I have no idea what that is.

Last edited by Sugarr; 07-01-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 24,725 times
Okay, reading more and more on the threads about Santa Ana now I'm really confused. Some people say it's HORRIBLE, full of crime and gangs like I said before and very dangerous, others say there's no more crime there than in other areas and that the only reason people say it's bad is because they're being "racist" against Mexicans.
I have absolutely nothing against Mexicans, they don't bother me at all, in fact I have some Mexican friends and there's some amazing people in Mexico, even though it's one of the most dangerous places on Earth in some ways it's a great place in others, I guess there's both amazing Mexicans and a few horrible Mexicans. I have no idea how the Mexicans in California are like though, I guess they have to be very poor to become immigrants and move to the USA, those with a better life in Mexico wouldn't move there, and the ones I know live in Mexico. Do they commit a lot of crime in California or something?? why do many people dislike them?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
The posters who say it's mostly Mexican but it's not particularly dangerous are correct. Its crime rate is more or less average all the way all around.

That being said, since you're from Europe, it probably will be dangerous because an average crime rate city in the US = a dangerous city in Europe.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
Mexican people are just like you, somebody from somewhere else. That is what the US is all about.
Gangs are part of the mexican culture and their usual targets are each other and not innocent bystanders. That doesn't mean that you can't get caught in the cross fire if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I think your biggest danger is to become attracted to one of these guys yourself. A lot of Mexican guys are very handsome and very suave. If they are in gangs, they have money to spend on you to show you a good time. They can be extremely charming and very sexually exciting. They can also be very jealous of you to the point of abuse and other competing Mexican women will be also.
Pay attention to your studies and listen carefully to your house parents and you will be ok. If you are very attractive, dress down and don't bring attention to your looks.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Default Good Post!!!

This is very honest and good post!! I experienced this in California as well, however I thought that many Mexican men were very polite. People shouldn't be catagorized as being bad or good because they are of a certain race. There are good and bad anywhere and with any race. It makes sense that opposites attract and Mexican, Italian, Greek and dark skinned men and women are usually attracted to blondes in my experience. Yukiko11 makes some really good points here, just be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Mexican people are just like you, somebody from somewhere else. That is what the US is all about.
Gangs are part of the mexican culture and their usual targets are each other and not innocent bystanders. That doesn't mean that you can't get caught in the cross fire if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I think your biggest danger is to become attracted to one of these guys yourself. A lot of Mexican guys are very handsome and very suave. If they are in gangs, they have money to spend on you to show you a good time. They can be extremely charming and very sexually exciting. They can also be very jealous of you to the point of abuse and other competing Mexican women will be also.
Pay attention to your studies and listen carefully to your house parents and you will be ok. If you are very attractive, dress down and don't bring attention to your looks.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:27 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I have no Santa Ana advice for you, but I sympathize with your worry. I've been an exchange student in 3 countries- including 2 in Europe. It's nerve wracking to move to a country where you aren't used to speaking or listening to the language and you're not sure of the area. Based on my experiences of two homestays in Iceland, 3 in Mexico, and 1 in England you are not going to be put in a dangerous part of town. While the families might not be the richest of the rich, they have to be wealthy enough to have a spare bedroom for you. They also absolutely aren't hosting for the little money they generally get to help feed you- they really want to help out. Let them help you!

I had a short term homestay in Mexico City for a week away from the town I was based in. For the week before, I was plagued with cold sweats. My homestay mom went on and on about how the neighborhood I was going to live in was dangerous. Several of my friends in Mexico City expressed worry and one of their mother's even called my program director and told him that I would be staying with their family on the other side of town because she was worried about my safety! And you know what- it was the best experience I had in my entire year abroad. The neighborhood was seen as rough by outsiders and besides some cat calls (where guys lean out car windows and yell at you), it was fine. It was the safest I felt. You could be surprised and the experience will be very valuable to you. Just try not to stress out!

Just out of curiosity, what country are you from?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarr View Post
And replying to "antibes": LOL, well, thank you, I'm very glad my English is that good, yes I've been to America before but never lived years over there. My spoken English is a lot worse than my written one though... anyway I don't know what's odd about my posts?? What is unusual for me (an European) to know in English?? =P Me selling apartments??? ROFLOL!!!
Someone posted a link to some real estate site when I mentioned Windsor Village North to ask me if that was the area, I didn't post it, and does that make you think I'm here to sell apartments?? geez... I don't think I've mentioned anything other than asking about how Santa Ana is like and if it would be safe for me, why so suspicious?? you're the second person who says I can't be an exchange student because my English is too good to be foreign and yadda yadda. I didn't even know Santa Ana existed, found out I was staying there, googled it to see how it was like and found horrible stuff about it and found this forum, got worried and I thought I'd ask here since a lot of people here know the area!! what is so bad and makes me so "suspicious"??
Anyway thanks for your advice!! I think I'll be in Windsor Village North, that's why I was asking about it
And BTW... could anybody please let me know what "street smart" means?? I keep reading you have to be street smart or use street smarts in Santa Ana but I have no idea what that is.

You use terms as BTW and ROFLOL - which no Europeans I know would know what it is - but you don't know what the word "street smart" means....? And your grammar is American, and not the way Europeans use it in english either.
That's why I wondered if your post is for real. Something is odd here.... But in any case, its your business.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post

I'm quite sure Sugarr is a fabricated post by someone pretending to be a European.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarr View Post
Thank you all so much for replying!!! I was a bit scared of what I read online because it seemed like an horrible place full of crime, kinda like the Bronx, but your comments have made me feel a little better, thank you all!!!=)
And to the person who said my English is perfect, well thank you so much!! I try... but my spoken English is a lot worse than my written English=P
Again thanks so much to everyone!! And please feel free to keep giving me advice or info about Santa Ana if you feel like it because I'd love to learn as much as possible about the place before going there.
Thank you!!!! xoxo
PLaces to visit:

Bowers Museum

Discovery Science Center

Mainplace mall (it has a different name now, but everyone still calls it mainplace).

The Old Orange County Courthouse.

The Pavillion, Don Cribb Theater, Gorilla Theater, or the Main Street PLayers, depending on your preference.

The Ronal Regan Federal Building is pretty neat, but all said and done it is just a government building, still worth a look. THe courtrooms are beautiful especially the main one.

South Coast Plaza (a large crazy busy shopping mall).

Farmers market (4th and Bush on Wednesdays - I might be off by a street but Bush is close enough for you to see it).

Just take a walk around Downtown and see what you see.

Eating and drinking places:
Bistro (or whatever they call Shellys now); Memphis; Gypsy Den; Original Mikes; various Mexican food exstblishments; McCormic & Schmitts; California Pizza Kitchen (at mainplace).

Nearby places:
Orange County
Old Town Orange.

Silverado Canyon and hike in the Cleveland National Forest

Beaches - Particularly Balboa in Newport, Corona Del Mar,
Laguna Beach and the tide pool beach just north of Laguna.
Huntington Beach is a good place for people watching although
the beach is not as nice

The Block at Orange.

Outside Orange County

Big Bear area (skiing in winter, hiking and camping inthe summer.

Catalina ISland

Hike to Holy Jim Falls. A nice short hike, but hard to get to.

Hike to the Braidge to Nowhere (all day (12 hour) to hike/picnic. Easy to get lost bring a friend(s)

Hike to the top of Mt. Whitney (looooong rigourous hike) Camp at the base location part way up the mountain, leave at 5 a.m. and you might get back before dark as long as you limit your rsting and staring at the views time.

Find a friend wiht a boat and go to the Colorado River.

You can spend a year just visiting tourist attractions like Disneyland, Sea World, Knotts Berry Farm, 6 Flags, The water parks, San Diego Zoo, Hollywood, etc, etc.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
If you have 1 kilogram of toughness, then Santa Ana should be a breeze, the people in OC who complain about it are a bunch of *******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County