Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginOC View Post
Can I ask you something? How old are you? Because, if you lived in OC for 22 years and you've been gone for at least 7, how could anyone have even warned you what it was like? I was assuming you were fairly young but all that would have to put you at at least 47-50?

Also, when did you actually leave OC? Because in most places I've seen you say 2001 but in at least one other thread you said you left in 1999.

I haven't seen anyone calling you names but you do come across like you think you know everything about the area including telling people who actually live here that you know more than they do.

It is much more helpful to people contemplating relocation to hear from people who live in the area.

Ok, ok ladies - you BOTH have made some good and valid points about the plus and minuses of living in the OC.

A new clean slate, shall we?

Peace.

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
A Peace-maker are you? Well I think that LivinginOC and I have already squared things up. Wouldn't you agree? I am not here to fight and never have made it my intention to stir up trouble. Just correcting some of the comments that I have read that seem so totally off the wall. I know I don't live in the area anymore but I also know that OC hasn't changed that much because I have friends and relatives that still live there and give me the story at least on a weekly basis. I hope that people have been helped and directed somewhere else if they don't have the money to live there. It really isn't a very fun place to live when you are struggling financially.

Anyway,, thanks for the suggestion and have a nice week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Ok, ok ladies - you BOTH have made some good and valid points about the plus and minuses of living in the OC.

A new clean slate, shall we?

Peace.

?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM

68 posts, read 207,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
A Peace-maker are you? Well I think that LivinginOC and I have already squared things up. Wouldn't you agree?
Yep! Raelyn and I are definitely at peace as far as I'm concerned. No problems at all on my end!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 43,453 times
Sugarr, I have worked in and near downtown Santa Ana for over two decades, and my work involves a fair degree of interaction with the local community. There are a lot of posts in this thread and I don't know whether you mentioned which European country you are from. Then it would be easier to compare Santa Ana with neighborhoods or communities in your native country. Santa Ana has basically two societies - a Mexican/Hispanic one and a white American one. They intersect and interact at different points, but are like oil and water. Downtown is primarily a huge Mexican shopping district that co-exists peacefully with a predominately white art scene. As in any city, there are areas and neighborhoods to avoid and know that Americans rarely walk places; especially in Southern California, everyone has a car and drives, even if it is to the market a block away. There are Mexican gangs and gang neighborhoods, but in general the Mexican/Mexican American population is very warm and friendly. The white Americans in general are not so effusive or polite but should also be welcoming as well. I think the biggest problem you will have is encountering the ignorance of most Americans about your country, society and culture. Your host family should be best able to clue you in to the ins and outs of living in Santa Ana. Follow their advice and have a nice visit! You'll enjoy Santa Ana and Southern California.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I hope that people have been helped and directed somewhere else if they don't have the money to live there. It really isn't a very fun place to live when you are struggling financially.

Anyway,, thanks for the suggestion and have a nice week.

You're right on that one for sure. You need good money to live in California.
I had a neighbour living a few blocks from me in Laguna who got into a bad car accident, and was in a coma for three months. She didn't have a sufficient budget for a life in California. During this time her insurance company canceled their policy on her since she was unconscious and not able to pay her premium on time... She certainly had no fun time trying to straighten her life out and trying to exist on no money. Suffering frequent epileptic attacks from her ordeal, and having partial memory loss while being a single mom did not help. I could have vomited on the conservatives and their "we are the best, we are the greatest" delusions when this woman, in her condition, also had to spend her days fighting for her rights which were constantly being denied to her by her own country, her own government. She was nothing but a street dog after she was not self sufficient anymore and no one cared. No one should have to be in that position after suffering such an ordeal. Her young son had to care for his own mother whenever she had her epileptic fits. She would be knocked out for days after these attacks, unable to care for herself, to cook food or wash herself. He was only about 7 at the time.

I hope americans get their free health care. You deserve it. It wont be worse than anything you already have, and there is always the option to go for private care for those who just love to pay for their overpriced healthcare costs...

Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 AM

Weird, I also had a very good friend in the 90's that also had a bad accident that went into a coma as well. Fortunately her husband took care of the kids. I lost touch with her after awhile and never did find out what became of her family after I moved to Oregon. The family moved and I lost contact with them. Anyway, times are tough for everyone right now..

Have a nice week and weekend coming up...

Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 PM

142 posts, read 471,289 times
Ahh it would seem the mysterious "European" sugarr has moved on....

Old 07-15-2009, 11:09 PM

You don't think she was legite do you? I never really got that impression.. but her English was really good for a foreigner and that was a little odd to me. Anyway, maybe she changed her mind and we scared her away... I probably wouldn't have wanted to go there after reading the thread either, LOL. Or maybe she is packing and on her way? I thought it was odd and totally unsafe that she mentioned a location when she was scared to go there in the first place. I wouldn't ever tell anyone where I was going to be on a national forum... You know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoll View Post

Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoll View Post

Yup! Surprise, surprise...

Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Weird, I also had a very good friend in the 90's that also had a bad accident that went into a coma as well. Fortunately her husband took care of the kids. I lost touch with her after awhile and never did find out what became of her family after I moved to Oregon. The family moved and I lost contact with them. Anyway, times are tough for everyone right now..

Have a nice week and weekend coming up...
So true, things are difficult.

My friend had no husband to look after her. Would have been a lot easier if she did. She's a real sweet person. It was so sad for her son; such a small kid handling a sick mother on his own. I would try to help out almost every day but daytime I naturally had to work.

How is Oregon? Do you enjoy living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County