U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,929,371 times

Advertisements

I heard that relatively few Orange County residents commute to LA to work, as opposed to NY's Long Island. Is most work primarily inside the county for it's residents?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM

916 posts, read 3,559,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I heard that relatively few Orange County residents commute to LA to work, as opposed to NY's Long Island. Is most work primarily inside the county for it's residents?
don't know where you heard that. I bet 25% - 50% of OC residents commute into LA County. All you have to do is drive on the 5N or 405N and you'll think the same.

The county line is irrelevant. OC is basically a suburb of LA. It's all one big sprawl from West LA all the way down to Irvine.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 PM

26,342 posts, read 90,547,755 times
Quote:
I heard that relatively few Orange County residents commute to LA to work, ....Is most work primarily inside the county for it's residents?

Go to post 4 of this thread. Good data from year 2000:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...lace-find.html

Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Go to post 4 of this thread. Good data from year 2000:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...lace-find.html
So if I read correctly about 20% work outside the county. Some may not work in LA I suppose but rather in San Bernardino, Riverside, or san diego.

Also that is from the 2000 census. Who knows how things have changed but I bet the mortgage / real estate industrty collapse has more people leaving OC for work.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,239,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
don't know where you heard that. I bet 25% - 50% of OC residents commute into LA County. All you have to do is drive on the 5N or 405N and you'll think the same.

The county line is irrelevant. OC is basically a suburb of LA. It's all one big sprawl from West LA all the way down to Irvine.
I very much disagree with this. In my entire circle of friends & family, I know 2 people who work in LA(A BIL at MTA and a friend who consults and has clients in LA (actually, Burbank)). Everyone else works in OC. Maybe because I am in Irvine and not closer to the "curtain" or because most of my circle are white collar workers, LA commuters don't seem to me to be a big part of the population.

OC is not like the burbs of many an east coast city where everyone hops in a car or on the train to a central downtown core for work. We have plenty of jobs right here.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I very much disagree with this. In my entire circle of friends & family, I know 2 people who work in LA(A BIL at MTA and a friend who consults and has clients in LA (actually, Burbank)). Everyone else works in OC. Maybe because I am in Irvine and not closer to the "curtain" or because most of my circle are white collar workers, LA commuters don't seem to me to be a big part of the population.

OC is not like the burbs of many an east coast city where everyone hops in a car or on the train to a central downtown core for work. We have plenty of jobs right here.
Just looked it up. In 2000, 20% commuted out of OC to other counties. 18% commuted out of OC specifically into LA.

As I said before, with the fall of OC's main industries (real esatate and mortgages) the number is now likely higher.

Regarding LA for comparison, 7% commuted out of LA to other counties including OC, Ventura, etc.

There are certainly jobs all over socal but the crossover from OC into LA is material.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Just looked it up. In 2000, 20% commuted out of OC to other counties. 18% commuted out of OC specifically into LA.

As I said before, with the fall of OC's main industries (real esatate and mortgages) the number is now likely higher.

Regarding LA for comparison, 7% commuted out of LA to other counties including OC, Ventura, etc.
If anything I would say there are more people living & working in the OC then in 2000.

While RE & Mortgages have declined in the past 18-24 months, since the 2000 numbers cited there has been a resurgence in defense and tech has grown significantly. Plus OC has had higher employment growth (percentage wise) then LA from 2000 until now.

Lastly I doubt many displaced in RE or Mortgages in OC found started driving north for work, they're pretty much all SOL in those feilds all over Socal nowadays. Besides, When those jobs were around I bet alot of those folks were IE to OC commuters, not OC residents, particularly the construction workers.

Bottom line, back to the OP, unlike an east coast metro area were a significant portion of the workforce goes from the burbs to the city core for work, most OC residents work here as well. Probably >80-85%.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,067,386 times
I have a decent amount of people I know who work in Los Angeles and I live down in southern Orange County. It probably is like 20% of the people I know. Most people I know (like 50%) work specifically in the city of Irvine which is a major job hub in So Cal. The others are a mix of working at home or other OC cities. I know several airline pilots for United and American all based out of LAX and flight attendants for Southwest, American, United, and Delta who all are based out of LAX (I know lots of aviation people though due to being a former military wife; many ex-military pilots became airline pilots). A few people I know work out of Boeing Long Beach (where my husband used to work) and some out of Boeing El Segundo that live down here. I have a few friends (8 I think) whose husbands work in downtown Los Angeles, four of which ride Metrolink to work. One friend works part time for Disney in Burbank. Four neighbors I know work in Los Angeles County, one at Toyota Corporate in Torrance, one at Ralphs corporate in Compton, and a couple who commute by UCLA vanpool out of Laguna Hills Park and Ride to their work at UCLA. I don't want to put you asleep going on and on, but yeah, people work in L.A. even in deep south Orange County. Still, roughly 80% of the people I know stay in OC for work.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,929,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post

While I hesitate to take the findings of one family versus many thousand, I see what you are saying. My county of Fairfax VA. Just outside DC is a major employment center as well. Still we have a sizable amount of DC workers too, so as usual the truth is somewhere in between if I consider what others say.

Also does anyone ride the train in SoCal? I thought it was car country!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
While I hesitate to take the findings of one family versus many thousand, I see what you are saying. My county of Fairfax VA. Just outside DC is a major employment center as well. Still we have a sizable amount of DC workers too, so as usual the truth is somewhere in between if I consider what others say.

Also does anyone ride the train in SoCal? I thought it was car country!
There is Metrolink service into LA. But the OC line will only take you into Downtown LA.. Unfortunately, there is no rail into the job centers in century city/ West LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County