Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 PM

38 posts, read 72,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had no idea they broke ground for the Disneyland Hotel that early. Very interesting. And that's a great souvenir.
The Disneyland Hotel was supposed to open at the same time as Disneyland but was delayed by almost 3 months. Labor strikes (the same that plagued Disneyland) and a shortage of workers as they were all working to finish Disneyland. The Hotel opened on October 5th and had only 7 rooms available opening night with an 8th being used as a lobby/office/registration room. It's official Grand opening was not until August of 1956 when they had a little over 200 rooms, shops, administration building, pool, restaurants and a bar.

Disneyland® Hotel: The Early Years 1954-1988
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:16 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,234 times
Anyone you know where this intersection (photo) is today?

It's from a neat 1958 driver education film showing nice footage around the area (

Driving Tips for Beginners - Part 1 (1958) - YouTube )

I guess Lincoln Ave / Center St was CA-18 at the time, so this may be at Lincoln @ Euclid? or Lincoln & Manchester?

The sign confuses me, saying US-101 straight ahead, but Santa Ana Fwy right. When did US-101 switch to the Santa Ana Fwy alignment? Just ahead is a road closed sign, so I'm curious if the switch was happening then or some freeway expansion was going on.

no particular reason, just some useless historical pondering...

Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM

38 posts, read 72,511 times
Has to be somewhere in that area with all those parameters. My guess is heading south on Euclid north of Orangethorpe.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,601 times
The Red Vest was a Bar/Lounge attatched to Danny's Coffee Shop, later changed to Denny's. It finally became the dining room of Chris and Pitts restaurant ot Euclid and Crescent (not LaPalma) It all went away circa 2009

Last edited by fladnag; 02-21-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,601 times
Santa Ana FWY was 101 at the time. SR 18 was an extention of US 91 into Long Beach. The picture is an intesection near Buena Park where US 91 crossed Santa Ana FWY. Probably near Lincoln or Manchester.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,146 times
Dew, I got a notification that you wanted a still shot of the intersection, but now your post is gone.

Anyway, here are two stills I took, the second provided so you can see the buildings and signs in the background, perhaps they will help. I sharpened the focus a little bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladnag View Post
The Red Vest was a Bar/Lounge attatched to Danny's Coffee Shop, later changed to Denny's. It finally became the dining room of Chris and Pitts restaurant ot Euclid and Crescent (not LaPalma) It all went away circa 2009
Thanks for this info, fladnag.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Sorry, C2 I hadn't seen your first link with the still. Then, waking up, saw it so I deleted the post. Thanks for enlarging the photos.

I don't recognize any of the buildings. I'm going to think about it and look at a map. The Santa Ana and the 91 converge at Magnolia between LaPalma (south) and Orangethorpe (north). There was a tricky way to get on the on-ramps for both in that spot. It could also be Beach Blvd. I'm just not sure.

BTW: I DID recognize the voice on the film. We used to watch all kinds of films on littering and safety and driving in school. Same guy. That made me laugh. And feel older than dirt.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
I guess Lincoln Ave / Center St was CA-18 at the time, so this may be at Lincoln @ Euclid? or Lincoln & Manchester?

The sign confuses me, saying US-101 straight ahead, but Santa Ana Fwy right. When did US-101 switch to the Santa Ana Fwy alignment? Just ahead is a road closed sign, so I'm curious if the switch was happening then or some freeway expansion was going on.
I believe that Lincoln and Manchester is correct.

Those street signs are really confusing, thanks to those who pointed out the highway history. I too was totally confused about the 101 sign straight ahead and also it saying Los Angeles was straight ahead - but since the road curves to the left, it made a bit more sense. It's hard to see in the still, but the sign says Anaheim is one mile to the right, as well as the Santa Ana Freeway, so I figure that Anaheim meant downtown Anaheim,which is a mile from the Lincoln/Manchester intersection, rather than the city limits. I think that the reason it says both the Santa Ana Freeway is to the right and the 101 is straight ahead is possibly that, as there usually are, there were on and off ramps for north and south, so that if you turned right, you would have the ramp for one direction, and if you went straight, you would have the ramp for the other direction. It seems a bit silly to call them by different names, but it may also be that the name "Santa Ana Freeway" was so new that they referred to it also as the 101 so people would see both names and find the freeway using whichever name they were familiar with. I don't know, just a theory.

Anyway, I found this 1959 street map that shows Lincoln Avenue as both Highways 91 and 18, so the street with the traffic crossing in front of the camera is Lincoln: http://www.cahighways.org/maps/1959rmn.jpg

I then found this earlier photo of the intersection of Lincoln and Manchester. This is looking south where Lincoln intersects Manchester, Manchester curving to the right at the bottom of the photo. I believe that the building in the bottom right of the intersection is the building (gas station?) in the video to the left of the intersection.:

With the widening of the freeway and changes to the on-ramps/off-ramps and such, Manchester north of Lincoln really doesn't exist any longer - it was essentially absorbed into the on-ramp from Lincoln onto the southbound freeway. There is a fragment of it left, paralleling the off-ramp to Lincoln. All the buildings in the video are gone now.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
That almost makes me weep.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
C2: Have you got a date on that photo?

And any chance of enlarging the bottom right so we can read the sign on the storefront of that building?

Great find, BTW.

(Just so I have this straight, downtown Anaheim would be to the right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County