Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times

Advertisements

AyeScotland, I appreciate your candid post. I know that many people are afraid to "be real" on this site for fear of persecution from those who seem to live to do so. I have shared enough detail about our needs in my threads you have contributed to, that you were able to speak directly to those, which is most helpful.

By your description, it doesn't sound like OC would be a good fit for us, which was what I suspected, but DH said we should have a look as there were jobs showing up in his searches in OC. It turns out these jobs would mean a huge pay cut and that is a deal breaker.

We can't stand two-story cookie cutter, stucco with Spanish tile roof homes and that is all we have seen when we search mls listings in the inland suburbs. There are some beach homes in Dana Point that look interesting and are within budget, but it sounds as though we'd be pretty limited to our tiny bubble if we were to move there. And the commute to places where I could dance would likely be miserable. Living in an area that is highly religious isn't preferable.

I know that many will say that all high schools have at least some drug problems, but some as worse than others. I imagine access to prescription drugs and unlimited funds coupled with busy, working parents probably contribute to the problem in OC.

Just to clarify, I wasn't speaking of swim team in TO as we have never lived there. Rather I was referring to the swim mania here in the East Bay. I was wondering if TO was similar with regards to the swim/sports obsession. I know it is prevalent in our society pretty much everywhere, but I also know that it is more pervasive in some places than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
AyeScotland, I appreciate your candid post. I know that many people are afraid to "be real" on this site for fear of persecution from those who seem to live to do so. I have shared enough detail about our needs in my threads you have contributed to, that you were able to speak directly to those, which is most helpful.

By your description, it doesn't sound like OC would be a good fit for us, which was what I suspected, but DH said we should have a look as there were jobs showing up in his searches in OC. It turns out these jobs would mean a huge pay cut and that is a deal breaker.

We can't stand two-story cookie cutter, stucco with Spanish tile roof homes and that is all we have seen when we search mls listings in the inland suburbs. There are some beach homes in Dana Point that look interesting and are within budget, but it sounds as though we'd be pretty limited to our tiny bubble if we were to move there. And the commute to places where I could dance would likely be miserable. Living in an area that is highly religious isn't preferable.

I know that many will say that all high schools have at least some drug problems, but some as worse than others. I imagine access to prescription drugs and unlimited funds coupled with busy, working parents probably contribute to the problem in OC.

Just to clarify, I wasn't speaking of swim team in TO as we have never lived there. Rather I was referring to the swim mania here in the East Bay. I was wondering if TO was similar with regards to the swim/sports obsession. I know it is prevalent in our society pretty much everywhere, but I also know that it is more pervasive in some places than others.
Jayne:

I know for certain swimming is huge in Aliso. A friend of mine said whose son is at Aliso Niguel, said that her son swims DAILY. Apparently swim season has already started.

Re not waiting to live in an area that is highly religious, ha, you aint the only one!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM

LuvSouthOC,

It is exactly the same way up here. Kids swim every single day. That is just not for us. I think you really have to love something and it has to feed your soul in order to do it every day. Sounds like perhaps you and I both belong in Ventura county.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
LuvSouthOC,

It is exactly the same way up here. Kids swim every single day. That is just not for us. I think you really have to love something and it has to feed your soul in order to do it every day. Sounds like perhaps you and I both belong in Ventura county.
Nope, I am happy in Laguna Niguel and content to drive up to Ventura on occasion.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
LuvSouthOC,

Well, I have family members who live in Maine who swim every single day. And travel for tournaments. Gasp. Kids who enjoy it, too. Doesn't always mean that they are OC type suburbia 'do 2 sports and school' kind of families. Also, some kids really really love sports! I realize some parents have artist or dancer kids. Fortunately, there are all types of programs and classes/communities available.

I, too, have seen your threads...and understand you are searching for the needle in the haystack. I just don't know why there are ad nauseum threads dissecting other people's choices-that's what it feels like at this point. What you want is not in so cal. Except for the weather. But not the air quality, the types of housing at the price you want, nor, especially, the types of people, families and lifestyle that you both prefer and think is optimal.

Maybe Ojai, but not sure you can find a commutable job for enough money to OWN your dream home from there. I agree with all of the negatives written about so cal/OC, etc., but I have come to accept that this is what it is. This IS so cal. Love it or leave it. It's not for you. We get it. And some of us agree with your assessments. Just a reminder that not all kids who are active all the time are on a 'track'. Though, the ones who aren't usually live in the more urban hoods with either hip/artsy parents or lower income families. That's the so cal reality and, by in large, it's the bay area reality as far as schools/families/cost and quality of life factors go.

And your daughters dance and don't care about sports. We get it. I have nieces in San Diego who dance-there are plenty of mom and pop dance studios, including the ones they attend. The ones you are likely to find in the areas you want to live in may well be the 'chain studio' type that are not what you are looking for, similar to chain martial arts schools. So, if you want to drive to other areas that are probably not as affluent and may be a little grittier, you can find hidden places to study dance, gems even, probably owned by interesting people who possibly do not speak english that well, as examples...they could be russian, chinese, etc. This is multiculturalism of CA, at your doorstep, not in PC speak that philosophizes ideas....

Also, no one is 'in fear of stating the truth', based on what I am familiar with in my several years of posting on this forum. It could be b/c people are accustomed to giving people suggestions on where to live in a given city or state...based on the assumption that people want to live there! It's a moving forum, not a forum to discuss how one's personal lifestyle and goals are superior to others'. Most people on the OC forum like living there and try to point people in the right direction.

I personally point out so cal and SD specific areas in general. If I recall, you did live in SD [or maybe it was a different poster and if so, I apologize.] before but did not like it and had air quality issues. You are not likely going to enjoy OC if you did not like Encinitas, which is mellower overall and less on the materialistic track than OC...only *slightly* so, of course and depending on the specific area.

At best, you can hope to find a bubble of a few other cast aways who 'know what you mean'. But the dominant culture here in so cal is what it is. There are no secret coves waiting to be discovered. Trust. me. for. real. I am speaking from personal experience, 11 years and counting! And am fortunate to have 1 other friend who feels the same. Even then, you just live your life and there's no point in us discussing with one another constantly how other people parent or their lifestyle choices, etc.

But mostly, you'll find that people enjoy living in OC or anywhere in So CAL, for what it is. It suits them. And most posters on CD are helping people who desire to move to their area/city.

BTW, Just want to add, since we're all about 'being real' on this thread, Ojai has a known drug problem among its local kids, as well. Several years back it was meth. Not sure if it has morphed into something else by now. This I learned from firsthand sources who had several family members living there for decades now. I don't particularly think Ventura or Oxnard will get you out of this 'playing sports every day and being on a track mindset', either. I think maybe you can find pockets of families doing things different in places, but pretty much around the country, this is the family life. I think parts of Oregon and Humboldt county may afford some different opportunities....and certainly many places are less 'amped' than so cal. I mean, honestly, this is southern California. It's not NYC or Boston, so it's not as intense on the surface per se, but it's still so cal.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-21-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:

The good school districts in SO CAL primarily reside in such neighborhoods. Unless one has copious amounts of money, and then, one deals with affluent kid problems. Perhaps Portland, OR or somewhere in the NE would be a good fit for you guys....something with diverse architecture and more range of incomes than the strict 'few good school districts' and 'everyone else' that pretty much sums up CA metro areas these days.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Jayne:

I know for certain swimming is huge in Aliso. A friend of mine said whose son is at Aliso Niguel, said that her son swims DAILY. Apparently swim season has already started.

Re not waiting to live in an area that is highly religious, ha, you aint the only one!
Yea, welcome to most of the USA on that one. Wait, which one? Come to think of it, both of them!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Shoot us. We are a city of mostly physically active people, and that extends all the way down to kids. That's probably a good part of the reason why Aliso Viejo has OC's longest life expectancy; we are not couch potatoes. The city attracts a lot of young, and middle-aged, people who love to be active.

That said, swimming is huge in Aliso, as is surfing (Aliso Niguel men's surf team has won championships), as well as other organized sports; and boating, biking and hiking.

Gymnastics also rule, so the city trains some Olympic champs and contenders. Hockey and ice skating are popular as well, in AV (Aliso Viejo Ice Palace).

It's not by chance that a huge sports hotel (Rennaissance ClubSport) with swimming and multiple basketball, racquetball and squash courts ......is here. Careful research went into that decision.

Nevertheless, there are several independent dance and acting studios in Aliso Viejo; and kids who want to be physically active, but not in the above sports, can do so without feeling they are in any way unusual.

I agree, though, AV and OC are not for everyone.

PS

Sports are not everything, and we have good schools, including one which is a private International Baccalaureate (IB) World school; and a few UCI profesors are working on a proposal to open a STEM school in AV.

Last edited by pacific2; 02-21-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 PM

I know that OC is a wonderful place and people are lucky to live there. I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of sports, it simply isn't a priority of ours.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Yea, welcome to most of the USA on that one. Wait, which one? Come to think of it, both of them!
In some circles, they're basically one and the same, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County