Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:52 PM

33 posts, read 72,318 times

Advertisements

[quote=jaynetarzana;33545591]
By your description, it doesn't sound like OC would be a good fit for us, which was what I suspected, but DH said we should have a look as there were jobs showing up in his searches in OC. It turns out these jobs would mean a huge pay cut and that is a deal breaker.

We can't stand two-story cookie cutter, stucco with Spanish tile roof homes and that is all we have seen when we search mls listings in the inland suburbs.

Jaynetarzana- You have another two-and-a-half years or so before daughter #1 will be in 7th grade, right? If so, perhaps in the meantime your DH can land one if those high-paying jobs in the Bay Area that would allow him to work in So Cal. Then, your artistic, dancing daughters could go to the Orange County School of the Arts in Santa Ana for grades 7-12. All arts, NO sports, and rated very high academically (API 914, #4 in OC this year per OCSA's web site). This is a great school, a public charter school so no tuition (but I think they do ask parents to buy a certain amount of fundraising scrip each year -- IMO, one of the least painful fundraising methods, as you just give the school the money that you would otherwise be giving the retailer). Admission by audition and crazy popular -- they get way more kids applying each year than they have room for. BTW, you don't even have to live in Orange County for your kids to go there -- the school's reputation is so good that they have/have had kids ride the train from places like San Diego and San Bernadino (after driving down from Big Bear) each day, and the school has a bus that goes up to Los Alamitos to pick up kids who live in that area (and I imagine some may live in the South Bay area of L.A. and ride that Los Al school bus). As a charter school, they do not put up with things that the non-charter public schools have to put up with -- they toss kids out of the school due to behavior issues or poor academic performance (I believe defined as below 2.0, but might be slightly higher). I know some kids who go there, and they absolutely love it! (If you are interested in checking it out, they have three Preview Days each year -- one Saturday each in Oct and Nov, and one Saturday in January. You get the general admission session, can take a tour, and and can visit some of the arts conservatories that your child is interested in.)

Here's the link to the OCSA web site. If you haven't already, check it out for those artistic, dancing daughters of yours:

OCSA Home

Also, I think your budget would allow you to buy a home in Santa Ana's West Floral Park or Jack Fisher Park neighborhoods, where you could possibly find a mid-century modern, but definitely a ranch that you could modernize on the interior (if not already done). Jack Fisher Park doesn't seem to have a web site (or at least not an up-to-date one), but here is a link to the West Floral Park web site. You will see that they have lots of activities. Among their activities is a yearly garden tour, where several homeowners open up their gardens to the public for touring. This year's tour is Saturday May 5. If you could be in the area that day, it might be worth going to the garden tour, as 1) it would give you a chance to talk with some of the homeowners and get a feel for the people and the neighborhood, and 2) the real estate professionals will not miss the opportunity to have open houses that day, giving you a chance to see inside some of the homes. Again, you wouldn't have to live in Santa Ana for your girls to go to OCSA, but if you lived in one of the nice, historic neighborhoods of Santa Ana, they could sleep in later, as they would not be far from school.

Welcome to West Floral Park |

Plus, if you lived in Santa Ana, that would give you easy access to multiple ballroom dancing places.

Just some more thoughts for your consideration...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
Thanks, AyeScotland. So far, we haven't had any luck locating a job for DH anywhere in SoCal that pays anywhere close to what he makes in the Bay Area. I'm starting to resign myself to living up here long term and taking vacations in SoCal.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:58 AM

51 posts, read 80,502 times
Red face OC vs Ventura

I actually lived in Corona and commuted to Orange county alot, but it was a bit crowded for me. Im in Tennessee now and thinking of going back to Calif, I might try Ventura. Is there enough work in Ventura county, im only familiar with Thousand Oaks etc, wasn't much work there, does the city of Venture have work and is it safe???

Im 57, have a M.A. in Health Care Admin and do secretarial work, when i looked at the Hospital in Thousand Oaks, there were no admin jobs available so im a bit worried about that, Is ventura better?

any tips would be helpful, Im also surprised no one mentioned Ventura's proximity to Malibu and closeness to Santa Barbara which is gorgeous and reminds me of Florida here on the east coast where i used to live.

Im kind of a conservative person but Corona was too dead for me, i like being closer to places like Hollywood Pasadena etc. Any tips? for work and affordable places i guess that is a joke. lol I would be coming out there alone with 2 kitties.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Both are like about the same.. I say stay away from the larger county...

Last edited by owl6969; 02-28-2016 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Saw this thread in the California forum

Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
Im 57, have a M.A. in Health Care Admin and do secretarial work, when i looked at the Hospital in Thousand Oaks, there were no admin jobs available so im a bit worried about that, Is ventura better?
Check online for jobs:
County of Ventura (for Ventura County Medical Center and clinic system), Ventura
Community Memorial Hospital, Ventura
St. John's Medical Center, Oxnard
Aurora Vista del Mar Hospital (psych), Ventura

There is a Ventura County forum here, BTW.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
I actually lived in Corona and commuted to Orange county alot, but it was a bit crowded for me. Im in Tennessee now and thinking of going back to Calif, I might try Ventura. Is there enough work in Ventura county, im only familiar with Thousand Oaks etc, wasn't much work there, does the city of Venture have work and is it safe???

any tips would be helpful, Im also surprised no one mentioned Ventura's proximity to Malibu and closeness to Santa Barbara which is gorgeous and reminds me of Florida here on the east coast where i used to live.

Im kind of a conservative person but Corona was too dead for me, i like being closer to places like Hollywood Pasadena etc. Any tips? for work and affordable places i guess that is a joke. lol I would be coming out there alone with 2 kitties.
Ventura to me is so many things, and among those many things, it is such a beautiful place. I am starting to really love the place due to the open space. Thousand Oaks is such a nice place, as are Ojai and Ventura. And access to LA, Malibu and Santa Barbara, are all impressive things.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ventura to me is so many things, and among those many things, it is such a beautiful place. I am starting to really love the place due to the open space. Thousand Oaks is such a nice place, as are Ojai and Ventura. And access to LA, Malibu and Santa Barbara, are all impressive things.
Yes, the open space is special, and we are again fighting to save it: What is SOAR? SOAR

Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
I like the developed space of the OC that's close enough to open space, a nice balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County