Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM

13 posts, read 26,062 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that someone out there can give me some advice.. I just found out I was accepted to Laguna College of Art and Design; which is phenomenal. However, that also means a move from Nowhere, Iowa to Laguna Beach, California. Unfortunately I come from the 'have talent, work hard, don't have much money' category. Obviously in city Laguna is stupendously expensive...but are there surrounding areas (that are not too shady) or places where perhaps rent is not astronomical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
HousingMaps

what is your budget?

More likely to be cheapest west of the 55 and inland from the coast.

You would be heading against traffic in the morning heading towards your school.

Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map

Out of the box: Maybe rent a room from someone in south OC, closer than Santa Ana and nicer too; a lot of people are hurting right now due to the economy and they may have an extra bedroom to rent.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Renting a room in Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo or Lake Forest would probably be the cheapest/closest choice.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/s...min&maxAsk=600
(Be careful using Craigslist, lots of scams)

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Thanks I appreciate the advice Luckily I have some time to do a thorough search online; however, its just weird renting a place in a city you've never visited :P Unfortunately visiting for a few days then renting just isn't an option, so Thanks Again!!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyethyme View Post
Thanks I appreciate the advice Luckily I have some time to do a thorough search online; however, its just weird renting a place in a city you've never visited :P Unfortunately visiting for a few days then renting just isn't an option, so Thanks Again!!
Are you saying you're going to rent a place here from Iowa without visiting?

You might want to see this thread if that's the case:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ing-lease.html

Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the posts! I have used all the information and continue to web-surf complexes, etc. Definately looking into more of the surrounding areas.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyethyme View Post
Hi
Noticed your posting from awhile ago.
Are you now at LCAD and would you be able to recommend a way to find a room or some kind of accommodation close to the school for taking June/July .... M - Th / 2 Full time classes? Hoping to get into Freshman housing when school starts but need to take these classes in the summer.
Thanks for any help.
Coming from Baltimore.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
The big question is what kind of transportation will you have? LCAD is fairly isolated.

If you don't have a car, I would check out a cheaper community along the coast (Costa Mesa comes to mind) and take the number one bus along PCH.

You maybe able to rent a room for under $500 month in Laguna Beach.

If you have a car, Laguna Hills and Lake Forest are very good bets. Costa Mesa will provide more activities and amenities for a college student.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsees View Post
Hi
Noticed your posting from awhile ago.
Are you now at LCAD and would you be able to recommend a way to find a room or some kind of accommodation close to the school for taking June/July .... M - Th / 2 Full time classes? Hoping to get into Freshman housing when school starts but need to take these classes in the summer.
Thanks for any help.
Coming from Baltimore.

Hey-
I ended up getting a place in Irvine, which is about 15-20 min drive away. I do see some signs up for 'room to rent' and stuff around school; but those are like 950$. Pretty much because you're renting in Laguna Beach, which is super expensive (even for around here). I think maybe the registrar has a list of students looking for roomies? Or if you have a car look for a place a little further out, like Irvine (its really nice and clean and safe).
cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County