Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 AM

14 posts, read 36,300 times

Advertisements

Coldjensens: My husband is an artist, so that might be an option for the kids; we'll probably give the public schools a chance when we first arrive- I'd rather they immerse themselves with the kids they live around, unless that option actually turned out to be ludicrous.

I'm familiar with everything else you mentioned, but having lived with it myself throughout my high school years I don't fear it. And the crowds, etc. of going to the beach never deterred us from going to Doheny nearly every weekend I spent at my grandparents house in San Juan Capistrano. We LOVE the ocean.

Though we'll end up driving the other direction very often for Knotts and Disney, too...

Superkoz: Thank you! That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I have no qualms of shopping in the Vietnamese stores and such. I prefer it, in most cases. Your description of neighbors sounds very much like my own Russian relatives, so obviously one I'd be very comfortable with.

I feel very good about this move now, and I really appreciate everyone's insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,769,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoz View Post
People - Of course there are exceptions, but my overall experience has been very positive with the Vietnamese people. They are extremely friendly, quiet and respectful neighbors. They also value education, tend to be very hard workers, and are really grateful and proud Americans. Many of the older generation don't speak much English, but the younger generation is very Americanized. Just stay away from the older drivers, because the stereotype is true - they really are bad drivers - LOL Hope this helps!
I second this. I have Vietnamese neighbors next door to me in Washington state and I have barely heard a peep out of them in the five or so years they have been living in my development. They run a nail salon and their daughter is a college student.

When I was living in OC, I saw that quiet nature there as well and, iirc, many of the immigrant Vietnamese in OC are Catholics. There has been a little Vietnamese gang activity over the years in Garden Grove and Westminster, but I personally have never encountered it. When it does occur, it is almost always between Vietnamese.

Before the big Vietnamese influx after 1975, what is now Little Saigon was definitely heading for the dumper. The Vietnamese have totally revitalized it and made it a positive contributor to the community (though you hear some occasional grousing from whites about non-English signs). Being forced to flee your homeland because of a repressive Communist government had to be heart wrenching, but they've persevered. My hat's off to them.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Thank you, RobE! I am very much looking forward to meeting our new neighbors and frequenting the Vietnamese establishments around the house.

My own family fled Communist Russia during WWII - I can completely empathize with the plight of those who fled Vietnam.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM

108 posts, read 360,670 times
It's very weird, I worked for the local phone company in the Westminster area for 5 years. I went into several Vietnamese homes a day, almost every day, and I always felt like they were quite UNfriendly. In fact it was a very pleasant surprise when I would be greeted with a smile, because it was so rare. This was the sentiment from my co-workers also. I grew up with some Vietnamese kids as good friends, but their parents wouldn't so much as say hi to me. My experience has been pretty different from some others on the board.

Having said that, I have several Vietnamese and Cambodian friends that don't match my above description and my parents Vietnamese neighbors are very nice. So who knows!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Ah, that may be a cultural quirk we share as well; many of my Russian relatives come across as cold and unfriendly, but if you get to know them (or rather, they get to know you) you find that they're quite the opposite, just very business like and to the point. It's good to know different experiences so I can be prepared for anything; thank you, TSO2.0!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM

108 posts, read 360,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarilas View Post
Ah, that may be a cultural quirk we share as well; many of my Russian relatives come across as cold and unfriendly, but if you get to know them (or rather, they get to know you) you find that they're quite the opposite, just very business like and to the point. It's good to know different experiences so I can be prepared for anything; thank you, TSO2.0!

This is what I kind of assumed must be the case.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Default it's ironic

Mine is exact same story as yours - even same cross-streets. I haven't lived here for 20 years and have been renting the house out since the late 80s. Now I'm back in my old house. It's sure changed a lot. If you're ok with the Vietnamese takeover, and it sounds like you are, you'll like it fine. I'm not so thrilled about it, but what can one do?

I will say that it appears that they have improved things, not dragged them down. My neighborhood looks better now than it did when I left 20 years ago, and area shopping centers look more upscale. However, all the local grocery stores and other businesses have been taken over by Vietnamese, so no more walking to what used to be Ralph's or Albertson's. Even after being here for more than a generation, they apparently still won't learn our language and they still can't drive worth a damn.

Westminster has become synonymous with "vietnamese", which I find unfortunate. Nothing against vietnamese per se, I just dont like the idea of the takeover. I didn't like it when I left, and it's much worse now. I'd move to FV or especially HB in a heartbeat, but with Prop 13 the idea would be cost-prohibitive.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:36 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,929,808 times
Fountain Valley over Westminster? Not a wise at all. All the gangs HB kicked out went to Fountain Valley.

I lived in San Gabriel for almost 3 years. The side right next to Alhambra. There is no way Westminster is more Asian than Alhambra. Westminster is a nice city. Most of the cities in SoCal have become "taken over" by one ethnic or another just like Alhambra. Theres nothing you can do about that unless you want to become Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,324,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Fountain Valley over Westminster? Not a wise at all. All the gangs HB kicked out went to Fountain Valley.
LOL quit making stuff up.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,929,808 times
Verbatim by a former Huntington Beach officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County