Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 AM

4 posts, read 12,188 times

Advertisements

We're (hubby, myself & two daughters 7 & 11) moving to HB next summer and would appreciate advice on neighborhoods and schools. I'd like to live close to my parents, whom are 1 mi. from the beach (they're new in town & can't provide much advice). To be near them I'm looking at 2 school districts 1) Isaac Sowers Middle/Edison High 2) Ethel Dwyer Middle/HB High. I will visit schools over the summer, but any inside information would be grateful. Regarding neighborhoods, Hamilton to the PCH seems attractive as it is near the beach, bikeable and seems kid friendly (able to play outside). I don't know anything about the area near HB High & Dwyer. Where are the areas that kids can bike and play outside safely in that part of town? I'd prefer to avoid HOAs and prefer down-to-earth neighborhoods. The older, ungated areas of Sea Cliff look interesting, but rather pricey & I understand Sea Cliff is considered the upscale part of town. We can afford ~600k, but we plan to rent for a year or two, before buying. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Couldn't tell you too much, but Edison is a powerhouse football program currently if your child/teen happens to play football

Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,219 times
From you post I understand that you are interested only in non-gated communities located near the beach and my comments should be taken with that thought in mind.

The area from Hamilton to Banning is a nice area most of the homes were built in the late 6os and 70s. These homes have backyards and are nice. There is also an occasional Mac Mansion. For example, the “castle house” off of Magnolia and Bermuda. As well as several of off Christine Dr. that look toward the (distant) Beach. I personally think these large homes are neat, on the other hand I don‘t live next door to them. Because you are still a distance from the beach you don’t get the rowdiness that at times can be annoying. On the down side you do get the beach traffic on Brookhurst and to a lesser degree on Bushard and Magnolia streets.

Things to consider: The Ascon/Nesi toxic waste site located off of Hamilton and Magnolia. When you visit homes, visit at different times of the day. Note if you will be downwind from that site. Edison HS is located close to the site while Sowers is a little further but they all are downwind. By the way Sowers was an elementary school teacher who died unexpectedly. I still have fond memories of him. Also keep in mind that the AES power generation plant is located nearby. Some community members have complained about the plant. You are also in the flood plain of the Santa Ana river. You should also look at homes South of Talbert roughly between Edwards and Springdale. This Community is similar to the one above but is located several miles to the north. These homes have backyards and were built in the late 60s and 70s. There are a few homes that will have a distant beach view. Beach traffic would not be an issue since these streets do not have access to the beach. I do not know but I suspect that they are also built on a flood plain. You need to talk to the realtor on this issue.

The “Seacliff area” that you mentioned in your post is bordered by Ellis, Edwards, Golden West and Garfield streets. It is a very upscale community. It really can’t be compared to the area along Hamilton. The neighborhood is much more upscale. Many of the lots are huge by CA coastal standards. Some are over an acre in size. The area is also not on the beach but still close. In my opinion it is a very nice area to live. Seacliff School is also located nearby--a very nice school. The bad new is this area is expensive. You should also look into the adjacent communities roughly bordered by Golden West, Ellis, Gothard, Main and Garfield. Nice homes, less expensive and still fairly close to the beach

Other areas to consider: Huntington Harbor. An older community but still considered the premiere community in Huntington Beach. It has the most expensive residential real estate in Huntington Beach. If you must live next to the water this is the place to live. Homes are older but many have been renovated. It's up scale. It’s beautiful. Down side: none. Though I find the homes too close together. It feels crowded. If you have the money you can anchor your yacht in front of your home. Unfortunately this area is very expensive.

Other non-gated communities near the beach: The triangle formed by 17th Street, Lake street and Palm street. This is a very nice area. Traffic can be of concern especially along Main Street, which has some very nice homes. Many of the homes are older but have been updated. There are a few of the older unrestored homes, as well as the Mac Mansions. But in my opinion, the Mac Mansions fit in this eclectic mix. I personally like this area. It is close to the beach without the rowdiness of the Main and PCH area. The homes along Lake Park and Farquhar Park are lovely. This is a nice area but can be expensive.

PCH Homes. These homes are located on PCH roughly from 5th street to Golden West Street. They are about as close to the beach as you can get. Most of these homes were custom built, but because the lots tend to be long and narrow they have a sameness. I you need a backyard these homes are not for you, although many have roof terraces. These homes are beautiful and very expensive. Down side: The area especially during the summer can get crowded with beach goers. Parking can be difficult. There are also numerous apartment located adjacent to this area as you move inland.

There are also the new homes being built overlooking Bolsa Chica. Some of these homes have beach views but they are distant. I don’t know if these homes are going to be gated, though a couple a months ago I was able to drive into the development. You may also want to look at the area adjacent to this new development roughly surrounded by Warner, Los Patos and Bolsa Chica. This is an eclectic mix. There are some apartments especially on the Warner side but there are also many custom homes built on large lots. Many of these homes are very beautiful.

There are other nice areas to live in HB but these are the ones that are close to the Beach that are non-gated.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 57,395 times
Hello, My name is Matthew and I just moved down to Huntington Beach from Northridge (LA). I love it down here and can see that it is a great place to own a house. Prices are at its lowest point so don't hesitate, try to buy soon. Still getting acquainted with my surroundings but sure is easy to do when the area is beautiful and the beach just a couple miles away. I am run a learn to swim program for people of all ages even ADULTS. Swimventure.com Check it out if you are interested. Matthew Olaya Pool Manager/Head Coach Huntington Beach Swim Venture

Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,188 times
Default Huntington Beach

Thanks for the information on Huntington Beach. I'll doublecheck the areas around Hamilton & Magnolia. I wasn't aware of a toxic waste site! Funny the realitor never mentioned it. I like the homes around Lake Park, but will have to check how safe it is for kids to bike and play outside. Huntington Harbour is too expensive. I'm grateful for the new leads.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM

69 posts, read 184,370 times
honestly anything by hb high or ethyl dwyer is gonna be super safe for kids to play outside etc. the only bad areas at all in hb are in the 92647 zip code. I'd say ANYTHING, well any house to buy, south of garfield is good for sure, though most of huntington beach is

Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,894 times
Default 92647

Hi All,

I have read many comments concerning the 92647 zip code that are a bit conflicting. Since the area is quite large, I am not surprised about the different views. To be a little more specific, could anyone share their knowledge with me about the neighborhood south of Goldenwest College?? I am thinking of purchasing a house in the neighborhood that is bordered by Goldenwest, Gorthard, Edinger, and Heil. Do you have any thoughts about this neighborhood in terms of investment quality? Safety? Is being so close to the college a positive or a negative? Thanks to all for replying.

Mlmpep

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM

89 posts, read 186,279 times
Even at current prices, $600 K isn't a huge amount of cash for HB, so you may not be able to choose from all neighborhoods. Be warned that a lot of the "houses" advertised on sites like Zillow or Realtor.com are actually townhouses or condos. (The condos across the street from our house are still around $400 K.) That said, it's a good time to be looking!

Neighborhoods you might like include those adjacent to (west and north of) Central Park. Great for kids and biking, and still a reasonably short bike ride to the beach. Spectacular library in the park, too. The area is also up on the mesa, so out of the flood plain. (It will be part of Huntington Peninsula when sea level rises.)

HB is a nice, laid back town, with a good mix of age groups. It's more like a real town than some of our snobby neighbors (like Newport Beach and Seal Beach.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County