Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6947033

This new law should help control gafitti blight in Santa Ana. It is supposedly the most strict and coprehnesive anti-grafitti law in California. A step int he right direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
30 years too late.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times
Gee why didn't they think of that sooner? Pass a law against grafitti and it will go away. You think these young thugs have any respect for the law? Many of them have been in and out of jail all their lives. It's against the law to do grafitti now. Another law will suddenly make them shape up? The only possible cure for this problem would be draconian punishment administered swiftly by the courts. Never going to happen in a state run by Democrats. Ever drive though LA and see the razor wire protecting the freeway signs? That's where OC is headed.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
OC has nothing compared to LA,Philladel or NYC.Can it blow up to that?Of course.But there is no epidemic from what I see and have heard about OC.Right direction though.I always wondered why Orange County does not have the razor wire?San Diego County has it on about 70% of our signs,LA about 85,Riverside and San Bernandino County has them as well.But I do not see them in Orange County.Weird.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 AM

This does nto just make graffitti illegal. It has been illegal for a long time. Under the new law, parents can be made to pay the cost of cleaning up the graffitti. That is a great move. It may help discourage the wannabe bangers before they become criminals. Gangbanging often starts with graffitti. That is how they get young kids involved. It is exciting and fun and you get to see your work on the sign or wall or whatever for weeks after the event. Then they move on to bigger and better crimes.

Every City should adopt this ordinance as long as it holds up. Let the parents take responsibility for not raising their children and hit them where it will get their attention.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
If forcing a parent to be fiscally responsible for their child made a better parent, California parents would be best on Earth! Is there even an ounce of evidence that this is the case?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
If forcing a parent to be fiscally responsible for their child made a better parent, California parents would be best on Earth! Is there even an ounce of evidence that this is the case?
It does not make them be a better parent, but it will force them to pay attention to what their kid is doing. Normally they can just ignore their kids (and many do) and do not much care if they get into trouble. Now if their kid causes trouble, it comes back on them. This concept is how Santa Ana got a lot of their gang problem resolved. If you have a rental full of gang bangers, go after the landlord financially. Otherwise all the absentee landlords tend to just ignore things as long as they are making money in the short term. You have to get their ateention.

Parents are the same way. Many parents are effectively absentee parents. Howevr if it will suddenly cost them something, they have an incentive to make sure that their kid does not do the act where otherwise they have no incentive at all. Now they need to extnd this to other forms of vandalism and possibly even to crimes. If an underage kid commits a crime, they may get off with a week in juvi, but their parents should have to pay damages. Puts an end to the "i do nto care what my kid does to someone else" attitude in a hurry.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times
I still say that the only effective method is to dole out severe punishment the very first time these punks are caught shoplifting. Make them afraid to getting involved with the legal system.

Here's a story told by Walter Williams a black economics professor at George Mason University.

Young Walt had a job as a shoe shine boy. On the way to work each day he would enjoy letting air out of car tires. He was letting the air out of the third tire on a Buick one day when he felt the huge impact from a boot on his bottom. He did not even turn to see who had hit him but grabbed his shoeshine kit and ran as fast as he could. He never again let the air out of tires. And to this day he cannot bend over at a service station to put air in his own tires without feeling uncomfortable about that boot perhaps lurking behind him.

Here's a guy with a common sense approach to youth crime. Give them punishment they will remember and do it swiftly. But he is so at odds with the pansy waist Democrats that run California. I wish I had the chance to vote for Williams for president over that joker we've got now, but too few would join me.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
How's this for punishment:

Mexico police accused of spray-painting teens

Quote:
MONTERREY, Mexico (AP) - Four teenagers say police in a northern Mexican town spray-painted their hair, shoes and buttocks to teach them not to paint graffiti on public property.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:03 PM

That is funny. I think that those cops should be commended, not suspended.

I tried to do that once. They painted gaffitti on our wall and the city painted over. The next night they painted it again and the city painted it over again. repeat one more time.

That night I got several cans of spray paint and sat behind the wall reading a book until 2 a.m. I was going to reach over the wall and paint them if they came back to paint the wall. They did nto return. Probably just as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County