Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM

78 posts, read 263,666 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
my family (wife and 2 kids:6 months and 3 years old) are thinking of moving back to SoCA in approx. 2 years when economic conditions hopefully improve by then. We currently live in Houston, and regardless good job and decent local economy, we simply do not like it ! We have lived in the Los Angeles area for almost 20years and simply miss the good, old CA lifestyle.
I have noticed that home affordability in a few areas (Lake Forest,Aliso Viejo,etc.) has improved and we could afford a 3bdr. (town)house for approx. $300,000.
Most important to us is safe area with good schools and of course, source of income. I am in the IT industry (Network/Server Administrator) with over 13 years of experience and several certifications. I am guessing, I could probably make over $65,000/year but I can put down 20% on a home so that monthly mortgage payments are lower. Wife is housewife for now but we neither have any debt at all.
We are thinking of visiting SoCA this Thanksgiving to get a feel for everything and even have a second choice in case we don't feel it's worth it. That is Northern Virginia/D.C. area where jobs are plenty and education is solid. But , we definitely want to give CA first choice and are not so thrilled by snow and cold weather in the Northeast.
Now, do you all think it is a bad idea to move back to CA after all the fiscal mess or do you feel things will improve eventually,especially regarding taxes, public education, and quality of life in general?
Thanks for all your opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM

161 posts, read 573,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
Hello everybody,
my family (wife and 2 kids:6 months and 3 years old) are thinking of moving back to SoCA in approx. 2 years when economic conditions hopefully improve by then. We currently live in Houston, and regardless good job and decent local economy, we simply do not like it ! We have lived in the Los Angeles area for almost 20years and simply miss the good, old CA lifestyle.
I have noticed that home affordability in a few areas (Lake Forest,Aliso Viejo,etc.) has improved and we could afford a 3bdr. (town)house for approx. $300,000.
Most important to us is safe area with good schools and of course, source of income. I am in the IT industry (Network/Server Administrator) with over 13 years of experience and several certifications. I am guessing, I could probably make over $65,000/year but I can put down 20% on a home so that monthly mortgage payments are lower. Wife is housewife for now but we neither have any debt at all.
We are thinking of visiting SoCA this Thanksgiving to get a feel for everything and even have a second choice in case we don't feel it's worth it. That is Northern Virginia/D.C. area where jobs are plenty and education is solid. But , we definitely want to give CA first choice and are not so thrilled by snow and cold weather in the Northeast.
Now, do you all think it is a bad idea to move back to CA after all the fiscal mess or do you feel things will improve eventually,especially regarding taxes, public education, and quality of life in general?
Before leaving Texas, you should at least check out (if you haven't already) Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio. All three cities have great schools, decent cost of living, plenty to do outdoors (I always have fun in TX when I go there to visit my family), better scenery than Houston, and most importantly, MORE BEARABLE WEATHER than Houston. Sure, it's gets hot in those areas in the summer, but for the most part, it is dry heat (and not as bad as Phoenix I might add). I would personally never live in Houston just because I wouldn't be able to stand the humidity and the bugs. Just head West or North and you would probably be much happier.

But if you are set on Cali, then more power to you. I might end up really missing this great state (except for SD and Fresno) when I move to Dallas next year. Places like Santa Barbara, Encinitas, Monterey, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and Santa Cruz are enough to make someone want to come back.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Personally, I think that you should live where your family (parents and siblings) are located. Let your kids have a grandma and grandpa that they know. In the long run that is more important than weather, economics, etc.

The pluses in OC are awesome weather, nearby mountains, ocean, desert, etc. Lots to do, a normally robust economy, and great places to eat. The negatives are crowds, traffic, a lifestyle of never ending rushing around, insane competitiveness, people competing with eachother through their kids at school, poor moral atmosphere amongst kids (materialism, lack of emphasis on morals, no work ethic, etc), real estate prices and lack of water (no real trees or grass, rivers and lakes are dry and emptty.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 AM

78 posts, read 263,666 times
Default No family around

Thanks for all your posts.
Our closest family are sister-in-laws in Miami. I love Miami and FL BUT there are NO JOBS in IT !
We traveled even to Charlotte, NC , liked it but still didn't feel right. Now, they are having unemployment as high as CA.
Have I seen other parts of Texas? Yes and no thank you. San Antonio is more of my liking but then again, Texas is simply not for us.
Seems like it is between SoCA preferrably and D.C. area as backup
Do you folks think CA might get out of this financial mess sooner than later?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,188 times
My husband & I are kind've in the same boat. We moved to Austin, TX 1 1/2 years ago & still don't feel like we are at home. More like a fish out of water. We bought a house in 12/08 & are planning on selling it at the 2 year mark so another 1 1/2 years to go. I can't wait! I miss so many things like my family, friends, beach, mountains, In-N-Out, riding my beach cruiser everywhere (can't do that in Austin! You would get killed by the drivers on the road or die of heat stroke) going to Laughlin for the weekend. The economic times in CA as well as across the nation will definitely get better at some point, the question is when. I think 2 years will be a great time to move back to So Ca; the prices of homes will have come down even lower from what some realtors have told me & hopefully the unemployment rate will subside. If you have a job there, I would say go for it.
Coming from So Ca, TX is definitely a quirky & hot place to be for sure. People think, talk, & act differently here & can't drive worth of beans. The best things in TX are lower house prices, lower gas prices, lower registration fees, & damn good BBQ, that's about it. Do a pros & cons list. It will help to sort out the confusion. As far as DC, I don't know much about that. My husband said most of the city is pretty ghetto. I guess it just depends on the area. The cold & snowy weather I would say is a huge deterent.
The good thing about moving to a different state like TX from So Cal is you really learn to appreciate what you had before. It has been a good learning experience & I don't regret it but we are ready to high tail it back home

Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget_misses_CA View Post
The good thing about moving to a different state like TX from So Cal is you really learn to appreciate what you had before. It has been a good learning experience & I don't regret it but we are ready to high tail it back home
Hi Gidget!

I can relate to you and your husband after moving from SoCal to CO with our family for several years. Like the song says "You don't know what you've got till its gone." How true that is. And sometimes it does take moving away to really appreciate CA even with all its strengths and weaknesses. A big cheap house doesn't necessarily make life more fullfilliing or enjoyable. I'll take living near the coast anyday. I hope you guys find your way back. Our biggest concern was selling our home in a down market. We had done some upgrades which ultimately helped us sell it without losing our shirt in the process. Maybe the market will balance out a bit more for you once it is time to sell.

Derek

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,
We came back after moving to CO with our three kiddos. Its good if you can do it when they are still young. They pretty much want to go where you want to go. I work in the IT field out here in software. But I know there are network jobs especailly for skiled workers. With 13 years experience and current skills you should be able to find work.

The rest of it really boils down to personal preference and best fit. East Coast and West Coast are pretty different. Both have their own unique sets of pros/cons.

Derek

Old 08-08-2009, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,
that is a decision you will have to make. If you are really unhappy in Houston and miss So California moving back seems to make sense. I am just wondering, even without debts, how you will make a mortgage payment on a loan of $240,000 not to mention if the economy does improve like everyone hopes and thinks it will, those $300,000 homes today will be much more 2 years from now.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Nita

Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,989 times
Quote:
Do you folks think CA might get out of this financial mess sooner than later?
MUCH much later. Last time there was a recession it took around 8 years to turn it around fully. This recession is far worse.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
Waiting two years is a good idea because no matter what you see in the media about increased home sales, the prices they are getting for those aren't too great and many of those sales are to vulture capital firms. More foreclosure inventory is hitting the market every day. So you are wise to wait because it looks like the market will sink another 10-15% before it begins to rebound.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County