Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 19,742 times

Advertisements

Moving to our first house in this specific zip next weekend and I have a million "newbie" questions. The official City of Santa Ana website is crap...not a single informative piece of info for a new resident. So I'm reaching out through this forum for help with things like - Who do I call to set up utilities? What phone and cable companies offer service in S.A.? Who has the contract for trash pickup? Where is the S.A. post office? etc.etc.etc.
Thanks for any and all help!
R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds511 View Post
Moving to our first house in this specific zip next weekend and I have a million "newbie" questions. The official City of Santa Ana website is crap...not a single informative piece of info for a new resident. So I'm reaching out through this forum for help with things like - Who do I call to set up utilities? What phone and cable companies offer service in S.A.? Who has the contract for trash pickup? Where is the S.A. post office? etc.etc.etc.
Thanks for any and all help!
R
You are moving into a house next weekend and you don't know the answers to these questions - weeks in advance?

Are you renting (I hope)?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Wow, last minute Larry.

All of this info can be found after spending a few minutes with a search engine. I'll start you off with a couple:

Your electric utility will be Southern California Edison.

To find ISP info, go here and enter your new zip code.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 PM

58 posts, read 123,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds511 View Post
Moving to our first house in this specific zip next weekend and I have a million "newbie" questions.
Good thing you aren't a procrastinator waiting until the day before you move in to track down all these things. Way to stay ahead of the game. Are you a city planner by chance?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
no need to be mean He asked for help, not lectures. Do you better prepared people now feel like you are better human beings than the op? I hope so because your comments can serve no other purpose. PLease think about what you are trying to or likely to accomplish before you say something or write something. Perhaps you intended to accomplish nothing and just wanted to be critical. However I ten to think that most people are not that nasty. MAybe I am wrong.

OP can you give cross streets?

The Newsp[apers are the Orange County Register and there is a Santa Ana daily, just do not believe what they write. They get a bit wild sometimes. Some of it is good though Gustavo sometimes breaks stories that the big papers miss at first.

Telephone depends on which service you get. If you are getting cable TV and internet, you may want to get VOIP phone. It is much cheaper.

Cable is Comcast.

Trash pick up comes from the city. Call the City or go through teh webdsite.

Look online to see if your neighborhood asspociation has a web site. Join your neighborhood association. One thing that is nice and somewhat unique about Santa Ana is that your neighbors will help you.

I suggest that you also join Santa Ana Kiwanis if you can afford it. It is a great way to get to know some people who are actice in and knowlegable about the city.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of getting in contact with your neighborhood association. If you are not in an area with an actice neighborhood association, that may be bad. with a few exceptions, most of the nice nieghborhoods hace well organized associations. They are volunttary associations - groups of neighbors banding together to help keep their area nicce. Membership is voluntary, but the fees are nohting and it is a good idea to participate;.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
This appears to be in the McFadden and Raitt areas. Yikes!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
McFadden and Raitt? Do you have an address? 92704 covers a large area. However for much of that area, the important information that you need to know is the address for Grants for Guns in Costa Mesa. . .

(Just kidding, it is not that bad, but much of this area is pretty rough. Where exactly is this house?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County