Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times

Advertisements

Orange County really doesn't fit for me. I can't sympathize with OC's culture and most of its inhabitants are pretty old school.

Last edited by West of Encino; 09-25-2010 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
"The" OC culture? How did you manage to distill them all down into one size fits all?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"The" OC culture? How did you manage to distill them all down into one size fits all?
Would be fun to sum up an area's culture in one sentence. Perhaps fodder for a new thread.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Especially when summing the culture of the Casa Bonita district of Santa Ana with Laguna Niguel.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Especially when summing the culture of the Casa Bonita district of Santa Ana with Laguna Niguel.
A culture of excellent domestic help and yard care?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-25-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 AM

Yeah, the bus riders!

Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 AM

....where the aroma of Mexican food mingles with the scent of choice homegrown cannabis. Oops, no that would be Laguna or DP.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 AM

257 posts, read 945,911 times
Three months ago, I would have said a resounding "YES!" I absolutely LOVE Southern California. Love it, love it, love it.

We went househunting a few months back, and the best I could find that I would live in was a small 3 bedroom townhouse (I have 4 kids). I was only able to negotiate the price down to $785,000. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be plopping down that kind of money for a place to live.

So I have come to realize that Southern California does not meet my long term goals for my family. If I was the type of person who is content living paycheck to paycheck, or the type of person content to force my kids to figure out how to pay for college themselves, then I would not have such a problem being a slave to a huge mortgage.

Long story short, I am moving back to Texas. There I can have a huge 5 bedroom house on a half acre lot for $400,000. Which means I will have money to enjoy my life and put my kids thru college.

So as much as I love California, I am taking my dreams elsewhere.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
Three months ago, I would have said a resounding "YES!" I absolutely LOVE Southern California. Love it, love it, love it.

We went househunting a few months back, and the best I could find that I would live in was a small 3 bedroom townhouse (I have 4 kids). I was only able to negotiate the price down to $785,000. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be plopping down that kind of money for a place to live.

So I have come to realize that Southern California does not meet my long term goals for my family. If I was the type of person who is content living paycheck to paycheck, or the type of person content to force my kids to figure out how to pay for college themselves, then I would not have such a problem being a slave to a huge mortgage.

Long story short, I am moving back to Texas. There I can have a huge 5 bedroom house on a half acre lot for $400,000. Which means I will have money to enjoy my life and put my kids thru college.

You really didn't have to move all the way back to Texas. You could have just started looking in places like Ontario where you could have found a perfectly nice SFH on 1/2 acre (though more commonly 1/4 acre) for $400K and still been within an hour of the beach. You probably could have even found something decent in Mission Viejo for that. Sounds like you had unrealistic dreams that a trip to Realtor.com could have disspelled, saving you months of fruitless searching.

That one can't live in a family size house near the beach for half a mil is no big secret.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post

It's amusing that the assumption is that everyone with a good sized mortgage is living paycheck to paycheck and won't be able to send their kids to college. No one I know (and yes, I live in Orange County) is in that situation.
Bye bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County