Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times

Advertisements

Benihana is in the middle of a business district next to the airport, so no veiw. Also, don't go to Benihana hungry. My experience there (well the benihana in Vegas) is you don't get alot of food for the money.

Blue water grill will be difficult to stay at under $30 at. It is an upscale seafood place. I've eaten at the one at South Coast Plaza and it was good seafood. Not sure if you'll get the view you are looking for as I have'nt been to that location.

If you want to spend the same money as BWG, try the Harborside restaurant at the Balboa pavillion. Food is OK, but it has a great location right on the water in newport harbor. It's also next to the Balboa fun zone, a little boardwalk area that your team may enjoy checking out. Food is not as good a blue water, but the view/ ambiance is much better. You may want to also try Newport Landing as well, Its in the Fun Zone area. Upscale seafood. Probably same or a little more $$ then Harborside, but better food. Nice view on the harbor as well.

Call to see which can handle your party size. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
This is in Laguna Beach. The restaurant behind the man in the second picture and the woman in the third, the building with the striped awnings, is Las Brisas. The rest appear to have been taken along the cliff top walk that runs thru Heisler park from Las Brisas.

If you updated the clothes those pictures could have been taken yesterday. It all looks pretty much the same today as then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Victor Hugo's, .
I think that sounds right. Those are my parents and I vaguely remember her narrating this photo in a slide show once. I think she mentioned Victor Hugo's.

Good job guys, thanks.

"Legendary Las Brisas overlooking the Pacific and the Beautiful Laguna Beach coastline has been a Southern California landmark since its inception in 1938 as the Victor Hugo Inn. Converted to Las Brisas in 1979, it has become a magnet for visitors from all over the world. "

from

http://www.lasbrisaslagunabeach.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,110.9,,0,2.85

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...2688&encType=1

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nHk4eRE8Qb...tor%2BHugo.jpg

Last edited by Charles; 09-05-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
The 5th picture holds a vital clue as to both the location and that the pic isn't reversed: the bulk of the hotel rising up from Main Beach.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:05 AM

713 posts, read 1,957,524 times
Quote:
Benihana is in the middle of a business district next to the airport, so no veiw. Also, don't go to Benihana hungry. My experience there (well the benihana in Vegas) is you don't get alot of food for the money.

Blue water grill will be difficult to stay at under $30 at. It is an upscale seafood place. I've eaten at the one at South Coast Plaza and it was good seafood. Not sure if you'll get the view you are looking for as I have'nt been to that location.

If you want to spend the same money as BWG, try the Harborside restaurant at the Balboa pavillion. Food is OK, but it has a great location right on the water in newport harbor. It's also next to the Balboa fun zone, a little boardwalk area that your team may enjoy checking out. Food is not as good a blue water, but the view/ ambiance is much better. You may want to also try Newport Landing as well, Its in the Fun Zone area. Upscale seafood. Probably same or a little more $$ then Harborside, but better food. Nice view on the harbor as well.

Call to see which can handle your party size. Good Luck!
Thanks. Could you rank Neport Landing, Blue Water Grill, and Harborside from best to worst based on location and taste of food? Do not worry about price. If you could focus on what a college athlete would be most impressed by. And anyone can reply to this post!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:21 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
First, where did you eat in Morro Bay, and did you like it?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Thanks. Could you rank Neport Landing, Blue Water Grill, and Harborside from best to worst based on location and taste of food? Do not worry about price. If you could focus on what a college athlete would be most impressed by. And anyone can reply to this post!
Blue water grill Food: 9 View ?
Harborside Food: 6 View (of harbor): 10
Newport landing: Food: 7.5(based on Past input from FIL) View (of harbor):10

Old 09-05-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
First, where did you eat in Morro Bay, and did you like it?

haha... Hofbrau. It was GREAT!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Blue water grill Food: 9 View ?
Harborside Food: 6 View (of harbor): 10
Newport landing: Food: 7.5(based on Past input from FIL) View (of harbor):10

Thanks!

I will will pick between Harborside and Newport

Old 09-06-2009, 05:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Harborside is better able to accomodate large groups and has a much better view.

Newport landing has better food, and makes some awesome mixed drinks, but that is not helpful for college students.

When I lived on a boat in the fun zone marina, we went to Newport landing often for drinks but rarely for dinner. If we had groups guests from out of town, we wook them to the Pavillion for dinner (or Magic Island - GOne; or Opassoa Thai (No view but a fun place). Now I think that i woudl stick with THe Pavillion. UNless you are looking to pound a couple of big Kahunas and stagger home from Newport Landing.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, while the attention is on this thread. Anybody know where these photos were taken? I think this is Laguna Beach somewhere, at some restaurant. Photos were taken around 1960 or early 1961. It's also possible (I hope not) that some of the images are reversed as I scanned these Kodachrome slides using a Nikon slide scanner and the slides may have been in backwards.

Picture 1: Heisler Park trail near the present Gazebo, along Cliff Drive on the ocean side where the road bends, just a few feet down (south) from Las Brisas.

Picture 2 and 3: Outside Las Brisas outdoor bar area, on the ocean side. Great place for afternoon Sunday cocktails!

Picture 4: In Heisler Park on the park trail, near Cliff/Jasmine Street area. The pink building in the background is either a hotel or a condo (can't remember). The artist has a painting of the old Laguna-greeter leaned against a chair.

Interesting to see that there are much more palm trees in Laguna now than in the 60's. They must have planted quite a few since. It looks quite similar from those days, apart from looking a bit more barren than today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County