Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 09:11 PM

34 posts, read 227,641 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I wasn't sure whether to post this in the LA forum, or here or both! So I picked here first.

My dh and I will be traveling to Los Angeles and Orange County for three days. This is a long overdue mini-vacation (first trip away from kids in 7 years, also our 7 year wedding anniversary that weekend!) I absolutely love S. Cal, and have talked about it daily since I was last there (10 years ago!)

I want to sight see in LA (dh has never been) and then head down to Orange County - I am considering making a move there, so while I want to see the sights there as well, it also has another purpose. I will be looking at towns that we could possibly live in, driving by schools, neighborhoods etc. We will rent a car while there.

- I would love to live in LA but it seems to be out of our range...Orange County might be a better fit for us. Though my dh could work in either place. I posted here once before and got great advice on LA. It's not out of the question as it would be my first choice - but the rent seems a lot more there!!

After doing some research,in OC I want to check out Costa Mesa, Newport Beach (I don't think we can afford to live there but I definitely want to visit!), Laguna Beach, Dana Point...I am sure I am forgetting a few here...Any other suggestions?

If we decided to move there, we could spend $2500 or a bit more if needed on rent. I would really prefer a house with 3 bedrooms, no matter how small the yard. We need an area with good schools (of course!) and the closer to the coast, the better. I am not moving 3000 miles away to live too far inland, though I don't expect ocean views on that price. I will also be continuing college out there, so I need a good community college plus a good school for the last two yrs of college.

Any recommendations you may have for me would be much appreciated! I am so happy to be going but all of the planning is making my head spin!

We will be spending the first day in LA, then driving to OC the next morning. I am looking for advice on what hotel to stay in in LA and Orange county (was thinking Newport Beach for OC?) .."sights to see" in Orange County,, places to eat etc. I have LA sight seeing planned out but don't know where to stay. And I am not sure what to do for fun in Orange county while we are there

- And just so you know, I am coming from one of the other most crowded states in the nation - NJ, within a commutable distance to NYC - so the traffic, prices etc. will not phase me lol. I just like the way of life, scenery, and weather out there a whole lot better than I do here!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 PM

77 posts, read 632,600 times
Laguna Niguel (close to Saddleback college in Mission Viejo)has many homes with ocean view and way more affordable than NPB,LB ,or DP .Irvine(has Irvine Valley college) ,and huntington beach are both great cities.Also check Talega of San Clemente(wonderful beach community).All these cities have good schools ,you need to check the schools rating site before enrolling ur kids to know which schools are the best in the city .

AS for places to go,resturants,and what to do,here are some :

1.Balboa Island
2.Fashion Island (if you like shopping )
3.Casa Romantica in San Clemente
4.Main beach in Laguna Beach,and salt creek beach in Dana Point
5.Laguna Art Museum

If you come visit for a second time on July or August ,don't miss the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna beach

restaurants:
First Cabin in Balboa bay club in NPB(the club is prv but the restaurant is open to public),their baked Atlantic salmon is my hubby's fav(I trust his taste )
If you like Mideastern cuisine ,then I recommend the Caspian at 14100 Culver Dr. in Irvine,or Darya in Costa Mesa close to South Coast Plaza .

for seafood try Harbor Grill in Dana point Harbor ,their seafood is Mesquite grilled .

If you like Indian ,then Natraj Cuisine Of India in LB is very good.

Sushi Wasabi restaurant in Tustin .

for Mexican my fav is el torito grill in NPB.

And I dont like Italian food ,so I don't know about any good Itailan.

I dont know if I should recommend the Sandpiper in Laguna beach to you ,it is just a small old pub ,but has the best music and cozy atmosphere IMO.Locals here call it the dirty bird.

Hope you will enjoy ur stay here ,and safe trip .

Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 AM

Thanks so much for posting, Jenali. Everything you wrote was very helpful and much appreciated!! I will definitely be researching all that you named, and I clicked the positive rating button for ya!

*edited to add..we will be there soon, toward the end of May! I am getting ready to book everything within this week. Can't wait to go!!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 PM

160 posts, read 975,783 times
My suggestion for renting a house would be to look in Ladera Ranch. This is were I live and it is a wonderful community. You can get a small 3brm house for about $2500 a month and there is amenities galore here for the kids...pools and parks everywhere and lots of activities. Schools are excellent. Saddleback Comm College is right down the road as is The Shops at Mission Viejo (nice, upscale mall). Shopping and restaurants close by.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Shadow42, thank you! That sounds really nice, and I will be adding it to the list of places to see while we are there for sure. How far is it to the beach from there? I'm sorry if that sounds silly - but sometimes it is hard to judge just looking at a map.

Jenali - thanks for the tip about the Sandpiper, we will definitely go there. I looked it up, and from what I could find, it definitely looks like a place both my dh and I would enjoy! I definitely want to "do as the locals do" while we are there to get a good feel for it.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:46 PM

160 posts, read 975,783 times
Depending upon the beach you go to, I would say....

Laguna Beach 20-30minutes away
Dana Point Beaches 15minutes
San Clemente beaches about 20 minutes

Also, if you will looking around Laguna Beach, make reservations for dinner at the Montage Resort and Spa which is right on PCH. Get an ocean view seat. It is breathtaking. You can then walk around the resort and down to the beach after dinner. The food is excellent!

Also a great place for lunch in Laguna is Las Brisas which is right on the cliffs there...you can also dine beach side at the Laguna Hotel...all on PCH in Laguna Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County