Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:48 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I AGREE!! Head for the hills!!! Avoid Southern Cal like the plague.. It is too populated, too expensive and over-rated. There are too many nice places to choose that are more affordable...
As much as I hate certain aspects of SoCal and OC you don't sound like you've traveled much or lived in other nicer areas. EVERY nice area in the US is expensive. I lived in South Denver in Colorado. It's a little more affordable but it's still expensive compared to other working and middle class areas in America. OC is a very beautiful place as is much of the coastal California area. There will always be people wanting to live here hence why it's so expensive.

I grew up in a place called Glendale/Wesbter Groves Missouri. It's a very quaint all American town outside of St. Louis. My parents bought our childhood home probably for less than $100K. You know what that house is worth now? Probably $3-$400K. EVERYWHERE worth living i.e. with really good schools and low crime is getting expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM

15 posts, read 64,196 times
Things may have change since you were here. Are you aware that Irvine is now known as the jumping off place for third-world countries with way too much money, and hardly reflects CA, i.e.,

Welcome to the United Nations - ..., Not Recommended, Oct 13, 2009, apartment review of Woodbridge Meadows Apartments in Irvine, CA

Many are passing up Irvine and heading towards Ladera Ranch and Rancho Santa Margarita area, but watch out for the trespassing, prowling dumpster diving issue here.

Good luck

Last edited by centuries; 10-14-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattym05 View Post
My husband and I want to move from the midwest winters to either Florida or California. We have 5 children one of which wants to attend college in either place in 2011. I prefer Southern California for the obvious reason(sun, water, excitement) is it feasible to live there with all the economy issues right now? We want to rent a home for about a year to make sure we are staying. Want a 4 bedroom with good schools, etc. looking to rent for anywhere between 1,500 to 2,000 a month.
Where in Florida? I'm in South Florida and you can get a nice rental for that price depending on location, gated or not gated. Just keep in mind our job market is not too great now and depending on your profession the move may not be a good one. Schools are not so good on a whole, there are areas where the schools are better but not really the best. If that's a priority you may want to tack on private school costs $$$ on top of your already high expenses.

The problem with any area, any job that pays well is usually in a high rent area. That is unless you work for yourself.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattym05 View Post
My husband and I want to move from the midwest winters to either Florida or California. We have 5 children one of which wants to attend college in either place in 2011. I prefer Southern California for the obvious reason(sun, water, excitement) is it feasible to live there with all the economy issues right now? We want to rent a home for about a year to make sure we are staying. Want a 4 bedroom with good schools, etc. looking to rent for anywhere between 1,500 to 2,000 a month.
I don't live in OC but I'm willing to bet $1500 to $2000 a month will not get you a 4BR house anywhere you'd want to live.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM

43 posts, read 108,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Uh oh, another midwestern family that saw too many reruns of "The OC" on SOAPnet.

You'll have to tell your teenager that no, he or she is not Lauren Conrad or Spencer Pratt and no, it isn't just like "The Hills". For the mom's - no, life won't be like "The (So Called) Real Housewives of Orange County". At that budget one can assume you are making a little shy of $100,000K which after cost of living, taxes, other associated "sunshine" fees in CA and that size family, you'll be lucky to be living in "North County"; yep, Buena Park, Stanton, Santa Ana, and perhaps, even Garden Grove, yes, all close to fun and excitement, probably the best of the bunch compared to other parts of SoCal at that price. You should be fluent in another language other than English and your kids should toughen up a bit as North County neighborhoods can be rough on white midwestern kids, but not to worry, excitement will be part of their daily vocabulary.

The most exciting part will be living in your cramped two bedroom or perhaps bug infested three bedroom apartment, with the bonus of lots of fun music being blasted till early morning. Don't worry, you find plenty of new kinds of fun.

If apartment living is beneath you, you could move to the IE (Inland Empire) or worse yet, the high desert where gangs, trash, crime, unimaginable commutes, and intense heat create a new definition of quality of life that will have you begging for that "boring" midwest life and wishing for those winters of yours in no time. But hey, you'll have plenty of sun and water as the sweat pours from your brow.

If you love your kids, you will not move them to a crumbling state with vacuous ideas of sun, water and excitement just because you dislike a little snow or find where you live too boring. Otherwise, you'll up your budget and move to a community that will worth raising kids in.

In all seriousness, CA is not a place on the budget you described and will certainly find you quality of life substantially diminished. Though if your heart is set on CA, Orange County is truly the crown jewel of SoCal, but even then it is an island where the tide of destruction is rising higher every day.
Wow, if all the Southern California residents are as bleak as you you are right I think California may not be for me! By the way I nor my teenager has ever seen an episode of the OC. But thanks for the uplifting and very positive attitude!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:06 PM

Thank you for your advice! It was very detailed and honest and that is what I was looking for. This is a move that my family has talked about for years so we just needed to know if it was worth persuing. I hear a lot of negative feedback on Orange County, but I wonder about northern Ca. if it is at all better there.? I lived in California 20 years ago for only about 3 years so that is all I have to base this on, other than extensive visits. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Coldjensens,
Thanks for the great example. I think no matter where you want to move to you never know what the area is like until you hear from locals, so this helps a lot. Some people on this site have been helpful and other not at all. Thanks for the advice!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 PM

Ha, that is funny because it's true. I am beginning to think some people have never visited or even know how to get to the midwest!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM

[quote=Donna7;11125116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
The OP is not asking questions about midwestern cities but about OC. There is truth in this reply.. Many people thing OC is just like the tv series. I am not kidding people watch waaaay too much tv.

Raelynn28, I have several newsflashes: (1) My husband and I DID live in OC at one time. Moved back to our home state strictly so that we could raise our future children amongst relatives (meaning grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) I see you don't live in OC anymore. What makes you more of an expert than me or anyone else who doesn't live there anymore? (2) As far as "The OC" show nonsense, I get just a little bit tired of reading that as I've never in my life watched that show yet. How do you or anyone else know what someone has or has not watched? So, yeah, I'm going to stick to my original assertion that some people's idea of "Midwestern families" come from watching re-runs of "Green Acres" and "Hee-Haw." It makes about as much sense as the original assertion that people think that "The OC" show represents OC, CA. What are we all? A bunch of teen-age schoolgirls in love with Troy from High School Musical? I, for one, am 46 years old, thank you, and am quite capable of thinking for myself and making my own decisions.

If someone wants to be obknoxious and condenscending to whole groups of people located in a particular geographic area in the United States, then they need to be ready for whatever comes their way. The original posters don't need smart alec answers or presumptions made about what they know or don't know. Just answer the question as posed and move on. No need for personal digs.

I don't mind reading people's views about living in OC or anywhere else for that matter. However, don't insult people's intelligence and diminish what they know or what they don't know about living somewhere else. Basically, some posters need to quit making assumptions about whole groups of people based on their own personal biases and stereotypes.

P.S. - when I say, "you" in my post, I am using "you" in general, not personally towards you.
I agree, I did not spend time on this site to hear the derogatory remarks about my ignorance of Orange County. Just wanted some sound advice, wow so much sarcasim makes me a little sad for them they must be miserable in there own life!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
As much as I hate certain aspects of SoCal and OC you don't sound like you've traveled much or lived in other nicer areas. EVERY nice area in the US is expensive. I lived in South Denver in Colorado. It's a little more affordable but it's still expensive compared to other working and middle class areas in America. OC is a very beautiful place as is much of the coastal California area. There will always be people wanting to live here hence why it's so expensive.

I grew up in a place called Glendale/Wesbter Groves Missouri. It's a very quaint all American town outside of St. Louis. My parents bought our childhood home probably for less than $100K. You know what that house is worth now? Probably $3-$400K. EVERYWHERE worth living i.e. with really good schools and low crime is getting expensive.
Actually, I have traveled somewhat. Denmark, Greece, Italy, and just about every state in the US. I just happen to think California is a beautiful state but I am beginning to question my plan of living there because of all the responses I have gotten. Maybe I should not have mentioned I live in the Midwest, believe it or not we do get of the state once in awhile and we are not all farmers. Sorry to be sarcastic but I am annoyed with some of the assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County