Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:36 PM

36 posts, read 78,218 times

Advertisements

Some more additional thoughts.

Even though the smog is bad here it is much improved over the last 20 years, especially in the Inland Empire.

The coastal stratus in May, June, July drives me crazy. I've seen it warmer in Newport Beach in November then all of June. Spring and Fall are very nice.

50% of LA students drop out of high school. It's only a matter of time till they become a problem for everbody.

The state of California just raised the income tax by 10%. They call it a loan/advance. yeah right. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
I've not read all the replies. I guess I'm wow'd because here my husband and I are working on relocation to Orange county or San Diego...we don't have children and never will...we were thinking $160K will be our gross income from our jobs and about $20K from our side businesses...wondering if it's sufficient to live on and accomplish our personal goals...I guess I needed some perspective...LOL. I know we'll be totally fine

Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I've not read all the replies. I guess I'm wow'd because here my husband and I are working on relocation to Orange county or San Diego...we don't have children and never will...we were thinking $160K will be our gross income from our jobs and about $20K from our side businesses...wondering if it's sufficient to live on and accomplish our personal goals...I guess I needed some perspective...LOL. I know we'll be totally fine
$180k is a lot of money for DINKs, even here.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
$180k is a lot of money for DINKs, even here.
Yeah, $180K is doing pretty good. You just can't expect the universe. With 20% down, you get to buy a $540K place, maybe $700K if you really stretch. That doesn't buy an ocean view house. It doesn't buy a 3000 sq ft place with remodled everything. But it can buy a pleasant house in a good neighborhood.

As long as you are grounded, and not obsessed with flash and keeping up with your neighbors, you'll do fine.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM

8 posts, read 26,087 times
After living in Wisconsin for 25 years and being really, really tired of the cold weather and snow, I moved to SoCal. I live in the city of Brea and work in Anaheim. I understand how you feel and wanting to move to a state that has sun, ocean, and many outdoor and fun activities. I rent a single bedroom apartment and the monthly rent is $1,300. Brea and Yorda Linda have very good schools, but you will not be able to rent a house for less than $2,500. Everything is more expensive in SoCal, car insurance, food, clothes. It it were just you and your significant other, I would say to go ahead and give it a try. But, with children I would recommend staying in the Midwest or moving to a Southern State with not State taxes. By the way, the state of CA is bankrupt and they just raised state taxes by an additional 10%. Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
No way I'd want to raise kids in Southern Cal. You should consider Northern Virginia instead. Rents here are much more reasonable relative to incomes. Jobs are more plentiful than anywhere else in the country. The schools here are great (small class sizes) and there's a lot more interesting things your kids would experience here. While not as warm as Cal or FL in the winter, the weather isn't that bad, compared to the midwest. I was a victim of California's crummy public education system and was grateful my kids were able to get much better when we moved to NoVA when they were very small.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
For any retired couples or 2 retired ladies who wants to move to hemet, riverside county ca, 92545. we are looking for fellow retirees to share our 4bdr/2ba house. sharing cost will be affordable and reasonable. if interested email me at [email]paltog01@gmail.com[/email].

Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattym05 View Post
My husband and I want to move from the midwest winters to either Florida or California. We have 5 children one of which wants to attend college in either place in 2011. I prefer Southern California for the obvious reason(sun, water, excitement) is it feasible to live there with all the economy issues right now? We want to rent a home for about a year to make sure we are staying. Want a 4 bedroom with good schools, etc. looking to rent for anywhere between 1,500 to 2,000 a month.
You can take this for what it is. We lived in Irvine for 27 years. We moved to Keller TX to get away from the crowded feeling of OC, the high cost, and the hurried lifestyle. Our move was a no-brainer. We sold our house in Irvine, bought a real nice home in Keller for cash and put money in the bank. Going from TX to Irvine will be very difficult but only you can make that decision. Don't let people on either side sway you. Just do your homework and hope for the best.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 PM

268 posts, read 890,173 times
I'd recommend Florida. Overall it's easier to provide for your family and you still get nice weather. Yes, the summers are humid but the winter months are perfect! Great beaches, alots to do for families and did anyone mention NO STATE INCOME TAXES?!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Coastal living is a lot more economical in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County