Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 25,428 times

Advertisements

relative to income?

I just read an article where some realtor association states they expect home prices in LA to increase in 2010

Realtors lol!

Your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Realtors always say that. That's how they can talk people into buying homes in a declining market.

The low end of the market has already been pounded but the high end has yet to really take their medicine. The funny thing is, if a house has been on the market at $1,000,000 for a year and finally drops the price to $850,000k to seal the deal, the median price will go up because that high dollar sale gets thrown into the equation. That's the only way I see prices going "up" for a while. That said, I don't really expect any of the nicer areas to become affordable relative to incomes because there's enough people with tons of money to crowd out the rest of us in the nicer areas.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,855,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That said, I don't really expect any of the nicer areas to become affordable relative to incomes because there's enough people with tons of money to crowd out the rest of us in the nicer areas.
This is true. The median to me does not mean much. I would rather have the median per square foot in each area. Even that is not good enough. In 2006 I wanted to buy but looked at the prices and household incomes and figured the prices are not sustainable. Now I am not sure any more. First, we might be changing like the rest of the world and have to pay more than 33% of income towards housing and just live poorer. So then the math changes. Also if we have some inflation, that might at least partially push the wages up, then the prices in the 600-700 range might be more palatable. All said at this point it is a crap shoot. The realtors want people to buy and sell every year, so anything they say is out the window IMHO. We finally bought for many reasons, but also accepted that at least in the short term (5 yrs?), we are going to be loosers.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:18 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
Housing prices may not recover for at least another two years and it will be a decade or two more before they get back to what they were at the bubble's peak. Moreover, the market tends to overcorrect, where it will trough 10-15% below what will eventually be the new mean.

Realtors make their money selling houses. So of course they are going to blow a lot of smoke up your backside. They will quote recent headlines that would seem to indicate that the market is bottoming out, but what they won't tell you are the internal numbers in those stories that still show a market in an overall decline. Plus the recent tax credit has hyped up sales, but that credit is now just about over and things will slump again.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 AM

8 posts, read 25,428 times
How much of a correction will there be in places like Irvine, HB, Laguna, etc? There has to be a correction b/c some of the asking prices are just ridiculous.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Prices in Orange County are still pretty high in relation to rents. The lower interest rates have helped the buy vs rent calculations, but its still cheaper to rent. But interest rates should go up and rents are going down, this will make matters even worse.

Its sort of funny, there is a decent amount of cash going into cash-flow properties, but this weakens rents further which reduces their cash-flow and the value of the property.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
OC home prices are going to rise in 2010 just like I am going to make gold from sand The Realtors have been barking this nonsense regardless of what year it is. There is going to be a further deceleration of home prices in the SoCal housing market through 2011, caused by:

- FHA pullback next Spring when the target of 1.25 Trillion in financings is reached but with private investor confidence still at almost zero levels
- Shadow inventory hitting the MLS
- Increase in interest rates, Fed has already indicated that they will do this soon enough
- Further bailouts to stop declines unpopular due to current astronomical deficits

Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyFi View Post
How much of a correction will there be in places like Irvine, HB, Laguna, etc? There has to be a correction b/c some of the asking prices are just ridiculous.
It depends where you are looking and what you are looking to pay.

In certain very nice areas of HB, prices are not too far off from incomes. In fact, if you remove retirees that have their house paid off, and people who have modest mortgages due to putting down large amounts, I think you will find several upscale HB communities that are correct in terms of income/mortgage ratio....or at least pretty close.

Really, not everyone can live in the best communities. Where I grew up, San Marino was the big deal, and Arcadia was next. In OC its Newport, HB, and a few of the smaller upscale communities. But someone has to live in Fullerton and Orange, and someone has to live in Santa Ana and Buena Park.

If you really want to know when HB is close to bottom, wait until prices fall to somewhere around 5-7x average income for that area. Normally its 3x for mortgage purposes, but there are enough people in that area that have been in their homes forever that you need to compensate for in some way. The reason is that people who have been in their homes forever have cheap mortgages and don't need to make as much money to support their lifestyle. So those people pull the average income down some. Note this really doesn't apply in the new build areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County