Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,250,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloYiannopoulos4Prez View Post
A simple comment and a message to the OP and similar "hate the rich" posters:

I cannot afford to live in a wealthy OC area like Newport Beach and I never will be able to afford it. But I don't hate the people who live there just because they live better than I do in material terms.

Stop hating people who have done better than you (financially). A lot of anger in this thread is driven by envy. Learn to appreciate all aspects of life, not just the material. If you want to be very wealthy, get educated, work day and night at a profession that pays well, make connections with successful people, and pass your wealth and values down to the next generation so they can pick up where you left off.

You're absolutely right. But it's so much easier to hate and complain about how it's "unfair" than it is to save, sacrifice and be focused on goals not to only make them but achieve them. There are reasons that I don't tell people at work my financial means. If I did the envy/jealousy and the "unfairness" would immediately start.

Btw great post. I wish I could rep you more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,250,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
a lot people are professionals earning $100-200k, so that's $200-400k as a couple.. then these people have made tremendous gains on real estate (hundreds of thousands since '08-12) and the stock market has tripled since 2008 and at this rate will quadruple shortly so it's easy to see how everyone here is feeling rich. In addition OC probably has a disproportionate number of entrepreneurs and consultants with business income so they get to exploit the system to the core and not pay very much in tax. I know a fellow Engineer who was a consultant and made $180,000/yr and paid something like 10% overall tax.. he used to writeoff everything including virtually all the food he consumed when we met.
Nobody is exploiting anything. Our tax code allows certain things. Hell dude I take deductions/write offs whenever I can get them. And why shouldn't I? It's not illegal.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,082,402 times
Basing my opinion on the frequency which wealth OC'ers are featured on American Greed, 100% of wealthy OC'ers are on top of a ponzi scheme.

[Seriously though, watch the show. It's comical how often OC comes up]

Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM

64 posts, read 50,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Nobody is exploiting anything. Our tax code allows certain things. Hell dude I take deductions/write offs whenever I can get them. And why shouldn't I? It's not illegal.
He can't do it. So it's not "fair."

Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,260,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OC View Post
He can't do it. So it's not "fair."
I know, I sold my CA home bought a new one out of State, paying cash and ... lost my mortgage deduction. Oh nuts I gave it up to have no mortgage payment.

Oh, now I can sell that home and with all the money I saved not being in CA, it will now allow me to move back and buy a home in SoCal with .... cash.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:43 PM

126 posts, read 206,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
a lot people are professionals earning $100-200k, so that's $200-400k as a couple.. then these people have made tremendous gains on real estate (hundreds of thousands since '08-12) and the stock market has tripled since 2008 and at this rate will quadruple shortly so it's easy to see how everyone here is feeling rich. In addition OC probably has a disproportionate number of entrepreneurs and consultants with business income so they get to exploit the system to the core and not pay very much in tax. I know a fellow Engineer who was a consultant and made $180,000/yr and paid something like 10% overall tax.. he used to writeoff everything including virtually all the food he consumed when we met.
I have my own business. I too take advantage of the write-offs / deductions. BUT if you are planning to buy a house, taking off too much will lower your income and you won't qualify for a loan. But that shouldn't matter if you making $$$ and can pay cash.

However, on paper, a person making 200k and taking a bunch of write-off, the AGI will be a lot lower than 200k. So on paper, their income is what 30k? lol

Also, you run the risk of getting audited.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM

126 posts, read 206,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I know, I sold my CA home bought a new one out of State, paying cash and ... lost my mortgage deduction. Oh nuts I gave it up to have no mortgage payment.

Oh, now I can sell that home and with all the money I saved not being in CA, it will now allow me to move back and buy a home in SoCal with .... cash.
CA doesn't need more people. Stay where you are thank you!

Old 02-16-2017, 04:51 PM

64 posts, read 50,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Yeah if you actually get up the gumption to move back

Old 02-16-2017, 07:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,641,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I'm from the midwest (St. Louis) and lived 7 years in Colorado. I've seen my fair share of wealth and rich people. But having lived two years here in the "OC" and hanging out in Newport, Laguna, Coto, etc. and driving around Nellie Gail and so many other wealthy subdivisions it's sickening how wealthy people are here compared to the rest of the country. I mean what the hell does everyone do around here to justify this wealth and standard of living? Is everyone a doctor, lawyer, business owner, super professional? Some of you wonder why OC and CA in general has such a bad rap well think about it.............the average Californian or more specifically the average Orange Countian is so far out of touch with mainstream America it's laughable. I mean some of the people out here live like gluttons. The gap between the haves and the have nots is most apparent in a county like Orange that's for sure. I've never seen so many BMW's, Mercedes, Maseratis, Ferraris, Bentleys etc. The funny thing is this state is bankrupt. LMAO! It's quite ironic. There are many things I love about Southern California and south Orange County is a very nice place to live. But there are WAY too many out of touch wealthy snobs out here.

There's nothing like watching an OCian out washing their beautiful car or better yet having it detailed by some Mexican teenager all the while wondering to myself when the hell it's going to rain again. After all OC uses more water than any other county in Southern California! Yall are some funny people out here!
There certainly is a lot of wealth in OC (So what?), but plenty of people here and in LA are struggling to meet their mortgage or rent payments.

Is your house payment gobbling up 43% of your income? Compare Orange County with other U.S. cities - The Orange County Register

"Mortgage payments are gobbling up the biggest slice of homeowners' income since 2010, a report by online real estate tracker Zillow says.

In the Los Angeles/Orange County metropolitan region, homebuyers in Q4 2016 could expect to spend 43 percent of their monthly income on mortgage payments, according to the report."

SoCal is nice, but I swear I don't understand why most people who fork out 43 percent of their income don't just move to a more affordable area. There are extenuating circumstances for some, but whoa! Still, it's not for me to decide. To each his own.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM

174 posts, read 205,670 times
I met some guy in California and he just kept saying he should move away. I was in California and it really wasn't all that great anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County