Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 04:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilamai View Post
Every city has posers. Difference is, Newport posers have money. Lots of it.
You might have someone with money acting like they have more than they do which makes them posers too. By definition a poser is a person who acts more well off than they really are. But you're right every city or town has their share of posers.
I know a few people who are considered well off/rich etc by most standards, but if you met them you couldn't tell their wealth by their demeanor or what they drove. One guy wants to drive a Lambo? Ok he goes rents one for a weekend or a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Old but really interesting thread. The original poster compared the nice parts of south OC to St. Louis and CO came to the conclusion that OC was rolling in dough. Having grown up in North OC, and knowing that part of the county, there are certainly modest areas where people are scrimping to get by and get ahead. I left OC for school in Boston, and jobs in NYC and Chicago, and can tell you that real wealth in those areas is generational and deep. Areas of those cities have suburbs which have every other car a Land Rover, but the wealth is not in your face as it is in some parts of OC. But for every NB and CDM in OC, there is a Stanton, a Garden Grove and a Santa Ana. I just found his conclusion to be in a bubble since he did not really explore the county to see it all.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Old but really interesting thread. The original poster compared the nice parts of south OC to St. Louis and CO came to the conclusion that OC was rolling in dough. Having grown up in North OC, and knowing that part of the county, there are certainly modest areas where people are scrimping to get by and get ahead. I left OC for school in Boston, and jobs in NYC and Chicago, and can tell you that real wealth in those areas is generational and deep. Areas of those cities have suburbs which have every other car a Land Rover, but the wealth is not in your face as it is in some parts of OC. But for every NB and CDM in OC, there is a Stanton, a Garden Grove and a Santa Ana. I just found his conclusion to be in a bubble since he did not really explore the county to see it all.
There area few areas like that in SoCak but not like back east as the growth has been so huge over the last 40 years or so, that Generational wealth just does not exist in most places as there are very few people her who have been here for more than one or two generations.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
a lot people are professionals earning $100-200k, so that's $200-400k as a couple.. then these people have made tremendous gains on real estate (hundreds of thousands since '08-12) and the stock market has tripled since 2008 and at this rate will quadruple shortly so it's easy to see how everyone here is feeling rich. In addition OC probably has a disproportionate number of entrepreneurs and consultants with business income so they get to exploit the system to the core and not pay very much in tax. I know a fellow Engineer who was a consultant and made $180,000/yr and paid something like 10% overall tax.. he used to writeoff everything including virtually all the food he consumed when we met.
Please notify the IRS.

The IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects.

Whistleblowers have helped the IRS detect and deter tax noncompliance, evasion and avoidance, helping to protect both the nation’s revenue collection and the integrity of our voluntary compliance tax system. Indeed, since 2007, information submitted by whistleblowers has assisted the IRS in collecting $3.4 billion in revenue, and, in turn, the IRS has approved more than $465 million in monetary awards to whistleblowers.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f211.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/uac/whistleblower-informant-award

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5251.pdf

Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
ACA and Obamacare are the same thing. The media called it Obamacare to get the Conservative voters red piping hot.
They are easily baited aren't they.

I have ACA insurance from the exchange, Get no financial aid. Don't buy it from an agent.

Obamacare is when someone does get financial help. ONLY 1/3 of people who buy from the exchange get financial help.

So the stuff I have read on here where everyone who buys exchange insurance is on financial aid.
Crock of crap. More alternative facts and fake news.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I think mostly business owners or two specialty doctors. This is for the Newport Beach, Corona Delmar. The rest of OC is not as bad. Orange is one example.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Please notify the IRS.

The IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects.

Whistleblowers have helped the IRS detect and deter tax noncompliance, evasion and avoidance, helping to protect both the nation’s revenue collection and the integrity of our voluntary compliance tax system. Indeed, since 2007, information submitted by whistleblowers has assisted the IRS in collecting $3.4 billion in revenue, and, in turn, the IRS has approved more than $465 million in monetary awards to whistleblowers.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f211.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/uac/whistleblower-informant-award

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5251.pdf

I can pretty much guarantee you that while that engineer may write off all those expenses he probably is well outside of the guideline of what is actually tax write off. There are things I can and can't write off.

Wait until that guy gets audited. I've been audited. It's not a fun process

Old 02-26-2017, 05:29 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
I don't know if it is real or not. My friend lives in OC and told me that people driving very expensive car even in the poor part of OC. They lease BMW, Mercedes but rent a 1 house apartment in converted garages.

Some doing service jobs (restaurant, nails, hairstylist, bartender ) that pay cash and understate their income so they don't pay much tax. Less tax, more money to flaunt.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I don't know if it is real or not. My friend lives in OC and told me that people driving very expensive car even in the poor part of OC. They lease BMW, Mercedes but rent a 1 house apartment in converted garages.

Some doing service jobs (restaurant, nails, hairstylist, bartender ) that pay cash and understate their income so they don't pay much tax. Less tax, more money to flaunt.
That's partially true.

A lot of "fake it to make it" $30,000'ers in OC.

There used to be a morning "sports car" event in OC, around the Spectrum. You used to see a lot of fakers there flaunting their cars. I brought my Ferrari 355 there a while ago, totally cherry, and in working condition. Next to me, a young guy parked his 2014 brand new Audi R8. He looked about 10 years younger than me, definitely born in the 80s, not the 70s. I was like, "Nice ride man."

He replies, "It's nice, but the prices on 91 Octane are killing me."

That's how I knew he was part of the $30,000'er club.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's partially true.

A lot of "fake it to make it" $30,000'ers in OC.

There used to be a morning "sports car" event in OC, around the Spectrum. You used to see a lot of fakers there flaunting their cars. I brought my Ferrari 355 there a while ago, totally cherry, and in working condition. Next to me, a young guy parked his 2014 brand new Audi R8. He looked about 10 years younger than me, definitely born in the 80s, not the 70s. I was like, "Nice ride man."

He replies, "It's nice, but the prices on 91 Octane are killing me."

That's how I knew he was part of the $30,000'er club.
If you can afford to MAINTAIN that 355, hats off to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County