Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM

25 posts, read 78,577 times

Advertisements

I will be taking a job in Irvine ca in the middle of November from NJ and I plan on living in Newport beach I found some reasonable places down there. Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect. Cool places to go such as bars and restaraunts. How easy it is too meet new people. I only know one person living in Orange county so this is all going to be a really big adjustment. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Tanner,

Welcome to "the OC"

My experience w/ making friends in NB/Irvine is that you find ALOT of superficial "friends" but only a few true buddies. Cast a broad net and be prepared to sort through a lot of dirt to get a few nuggets. Also, don't get put off when people show an interest in doing something with you or otherwise sound agreeable to doing something but then won't commit to an actual plan or flake if they do make a plan with you. Its just the way it is. Drove me nuts when I first got here from Philly, but I just learned to take those people out of my rolodex & move on.

The bar scene in OC is very very fake and superficial with more posing going on then on a fashion show runway - by both the guys and gals. Find other outlets to meet people. I would highly recommend getting into some sports leagues or other interest group to make friends. Church or Synagogue if that's your thing is a good avenue to.

Since I am now a married old fart I can't make a lot of recco's on hotspots. One of the younger guys I work with told me the District outdoor center on the Tustin/Irvine border has a good singles scene on Fridays

Good luck and welcome to OC

Old 10-16-2009, 06:43 PM

34 posts, read 168,430 times
I just moved to Newport Beach 2 weeks ago so I'm in the same boat as you. I've found a few places. How old are you? Male or female? Hit me up in private message.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
IMO none of the bars down on Balboa, mutt lynchs, cassidys, etc are "superficial," neither are any of the places on main st in HB. For that you need to go to places near the airport and fashion island.

The only "quirk" if you will is that HB is still a bit racist and it seems like you have to be sleeved to be cool.

There are a couple decent spots in Costa Mesa...check out goat hill tavern. Also, if you're working in Irvine check out some of the bars (sports) at the Spectrum.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Tannerj,

Why do you want to live in Newport if you are working in Irvine? Just live in Irvine and save yourself the 500.00 a month increase for the same place and be 15 min to the beach instead of 5. Please don't move to NB because it has "Beach" in the name and it sounds cool! (It's far from cool).

Unless you want to join the ranks of Benzo leasers that live in a 1 bedroom apartment. Single in Newport is going to be a drag, extremely superficial, cliquish, and overall boring if you aren't that type.

So many better places to live as a single person, plus you will just be going to L.A. if you want real nightlife anyways.

Last edited by Mach50; 10-19-2009 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 AM

I am not moving there just because it has the name Beach in the title..LOL. I still havent settled on a place yet but for the deal i found it is definetly the most reasonable so far. I will be out there this weekend to find a place, does anyone have any recommendations on where to look. I have been doing lot's of research on apt sites and craiglist and I keep coming back to the Beach House apts in Newport. Does anyone know anything about this place. Thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerj View Post
I am not moving there just because it has the name Beach in the title..LOL. I still havent settled on a place yet but for the deal i found it is definetly the most reasonable so far. I will be out there this weekend to find a place, does anyone have any recommendations on where to look. I have been doing lot's of research on apt sites and craiglist and I keep coming back to the Beach House apts in Newport. Does anyone know anything about this place. Thanks
Beach House Apartments
1433 Superior Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92663

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

That is on the Costa Mesa side of 'Newport', you will be away from most of the pretentious Fashion Island people.

It will probably be a bit seedy, if it is inexpensive, but more 'real'. It may not actually be that bad. Definitely check it out though, because my friend lived in Coronado on that side of Newport and it was horrible!

How much is rent there?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 AM

I can get a studio for 1000 including all utilities except electricity. I plan on looking at some other places also while i am there. does anyone know of any car services that can drive me around or am i better off just renting a car. I have no idea how to get to any place around there. thanks,

Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Rent a car so you can get around and explore. Bring a GPS to navigate or you can go old school and go to any book or drug store and get a "Thomas Guide" - a local map book that is accurate, has great detail & is a good resource.

Look around the area by these beach house apartments. I don't know the apartments, but the area is not that great. Not really bad - just not that great. East of Placentia nearby in Costa Mesa there are lots of recent immigrant fourplexes and small apartment blocks with families stuffed into studio & 1Br apts. Dont assume a Newport mailing adress means this place does'nt have the same issue.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations of any other places or know of any places that might be available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County