Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start this thread because I think the area is kind of special (and not just because I grew up there) . It sits in an area in which freeways don't cross, there are still wild hillsides, and little or no interaction with Hollywood "stars"....though I'm sure Octomom is a dubious claim to fame these days......

And a lot more things were going on back in the '70s and '80s as far as "stuff to do".

Anybody with me on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Well, if you want to go back to the 50's my parents ate at Nixon's on Whittier Blvd. Yes, it was owned by "the" Nixons. Think it was Trickey Dick's brother.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM

Default a blast from the past!

Thanks, DewDrop!

My memories do not go back that far, since I am only 42; thanks for sharing! Anything I know from that era or before would be from reading or from others' stories.

Where along Whittier Blvd. was Nixon's? That is, what intersection?

One thing I very definitely remember; there was a miniature golf course in La Habra at the corner of Whittier and Harbor Blvds. It was still there when my family moved there in '76....has been a rest home for some time now......

Used to be a miniature golf course in La Mirada as well.....those things seem to be dying out, along with bowling alleys...at least here in the Southland.....

Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Anyone remember a place in La Habra called "Good Time Phosters"? It was there in 1979.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anyone remember a place in La Habra called "Good Time Phosters"? It was there in 1979.
Sorry, Charles. I don't remember that. What was it?

One thing that comes to mind right now is "Market Basket". That was a shopping chain that was around in the '70s. There were at least three that I can remember along Whittier Blvd during my childhood; one at Colima Rd, one between Russell and First Aves., and one in La Habra between Hacienda and Idaho. They later became Hughes Markets, and, ultimately, Ralphs. The Ralphs that was there in La Habra on Whittier Blvd. closed recently, but the other two are still there.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Sorry, Charles. I don't remember that. What was it?
It was a place to buy fake IDs. It was in a strip mall or something.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,727 times
Quote:
Thanks, DewDrop!

My memories do not go back that far, since I am only 42; thanks for sharing! Anything I know from that era or before would be from reading or from others' stories.

Where along Whittier Blvd. was Nixon's? That is, what intersection?

One thing I very definitely remember; there was a miniature golf course in La Habra at the corner of Whittier and Harbor Blvds. It was still there when my family moved there in '76....has been a rest home for some time now......

Used to be a miniature golf course in La Mirada as well.....those things seem to be dying out, along with bowling alleys...at least here in the Southland.....
We lived near both those miniature golf courses, La Habra from 1965-70 and La Mirada from 70-83. Both of them had trampolines... of which I was forbidden to partake. My parents thought I'd break an arm and they didn't want their insurance to skyrocket. I loved the arcade at La Habra. The guy who ran the La Mirada golf was mean. He was always on the loudspeaker yelling at kids. And towards the end the course was overgrown with weeds and the grass was dead and the astroturf was worn out.

My other fav places in the area were the single screen movie theaters on Whittier Blvd. There was one near the La Habra 300 Bowl and another in Whittier up by Hadley that crumpled during the narrows earthquake. The bowling alley is still there.

Anything cool that happens in this world, happens in a bowling alley.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
We lived near both those miniature golf courses, La Habra from 1965-70 and La Mirada from 70-83. Both of them had trampolines... of which I was forbidden to partake. My parents thought I'd break an arm and they didn't want their insurance to skyrocket. I loved the arcade at La Habra. The guy who ran the La Mirada golf was mean. He was always on the loudspeaker yelling at kids. And towards the end the course was overgrown with weeds and the grass was dead and the astroturf was worn out.

My other fav places in the area were the single screen movie theaters on Whittier Blvd. There was one near the La Habra 300 Bowl and another in Whittier up by Hadley that crumpled during the narrows earthquake. The bowling alley is still there.

Anything cool that happens in this world, happens in a bowling alley.
Yeah, the ol' La Habra 300. My parents bowled there for years....it was right down the street from our house. When my mom and her husband are in town (she is out of state now) they always make it a point to visit there.

In fact, they were there the night that Glen Allison bowled a 900 series, though Guinness would not take it. It was on my dad's b-day (07/01/82).
You're right about things happening in a bowling alley, but if it is in La Habra it tends to be ignored by the outside world.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:

One thing that comes to mind right now is "Market Basket". That was a shopping chain that was around in the '70s. There were at least three that I can remember along Whittier Blvd during my childhood; one at Colima Rd, one between Russell and First Aves., and one in La Habra between Hacienda and Idaho. They later became Hughes Markets, and, ultimately, Ralphs. The Ralphs that was there in La Habra on Whittier Blvd. closed recently, but the other two are still there.
I remember them well. They were Kroger's first entry into the So Cal market, and the only market in South OC that sold fresh scrapple. The one from my childhood is now the San Clemente DMV.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Love the picture, Fontucky!

It would be nice to know where to find stuff like this.

Online? Or did you take pictures of Market Baskets while you were growing up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County