U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM

26 posts, read 78,242 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mid-50s lady who will be looking for a rental. I'd love a place with charm in a safe neighborhood, walking distance to stores/cafes, if possible. I'd prefer to stay under $1300. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM

694 posts, read 1,179,034 times
It seems to be a nice place. Katellla turns into a pretty road on the high hills.
Why don't you consider getting a rental with me, SueBeeM?
I am 49year old woman with a cat. What do you think?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM

30,085 posts, read 73,793,339 times
If you live in Old town Orange it is very nice. That is where the chaming homes and charming neighbors are concentrated.

Here is what it was like for me when I lived there.

I got up at 6:30 a.m. and got showered and dressed. I got my dog on a leash and once in a while a child or two in our Red Ryder wagon and walk through old town. Even when it was early enough to still be dark, things were quiet and I felt perfectly safe. I walked along and examined the classic turn of the century architecture exhibited in most houses and many buildings. I enjoyed the quaint old fashioned atmosphere and greeted people who happened to be awake and outside. I would walk by the school and watch a very old oriental gentlaman doing Tai Chi exercises on the playground. If I was late enough I would greet the kids collecting on the sidewalk of the elementary school and let them pet the dog. Most days I would stop in for tea and a short chat with an older lady who just started greeting me as I walked by each day and later invited me in for tea every day that I came by. I would talk along the little park or sit on a bench and watch the sun rise and listen to the bees buzzing in the honey making display barn. Some days I would stop in a Watsons pharmacy/cafe and chat with the owner, Scott Parker if he was there. My 2-3 mile walk often took several hours because more time was spent chatting than walking. Eventually I would make my way home, change into my suit and walk to my office or to the train station (if I had to go into Los anegeles that day). Some days I had to start really early, or cut out chatting in order to be ready in time.

At lunch time, my wife and kids would walk up to my office and we would have lunch in one of the parks, or sometimes I would meet her at Hart Park where there was more for the kids to do.

In the evening I would walk home and we would walk to the grocery store or movie rental place etc. Often we would walk up to the Chapman UNiversity campus and meet friends for dinner or coffee at Poppa Hassans (fabulous Shwarama), at the Filling Station, or at Felix's (Cuban) we might window shop in the windows of a few dozen antique stores on our way through the circle. We might just have tea 9or coffee for other people) at Diedrichs (we would not patronize Starbucks becuse of what they did to that beautiful old bank building, I think that Diedrichs is nto a Starbucks too, but I will go to that location whatever the name is, they did ag good job keeping it nice). We might also sit at the fountain in the circle for a time and just relax or greet friends who came by. Other days we would walk to the church to attend various social, events or classes.

Weekends if we did nto go hiking out at Silverado Canyon, or to the beach, we did some gardening, attended church events, wandered around the circle, sometimes we would even drive up to teh nearby Century movie theaters for a show, or walk to mainplace mall. We usually had breakfast at Watsons with or without friends. Many times we went and had breakfast alone and ended up having friends join us. On Sunday after walking to Church we often went with a large group of friends to Pat & Oscars for lunch and discussion. Sometimes we would walk or bike there, but it is a bit of a trek.

Pretty much we walked to everywhere we went and pulled the kids along in the red ryder wagon. We left the wgaon outside any store or resturuant that we went into and never had any problem. We knew quite a few of the store owners, resturuant owners, and residents, so we did not have to go anywhere to see our friends. We were very involved in the local methodist church which was also in walking distance. I put about 5,000 miles a year on my car. Most of that was vacation trips, going to Silverado Canyon, or to the beach or maountins, or for work. In short it was a fabulous place to live and a fabulous lifestyle.

We later moved to Santa Ana but remained connected to Orange for much of our social life and shoppping. Even later, we moved to Michigan, but I still spend about 15 or so weeks in Orange COunty each year. I spend as much time as I can in old town orange and always visit Pappa Hassans when I am there. Old TOwn orange is one of the things that we miss the most. It is an absolutely great place.

There is some crime there like anywhere else. OUr garage got broken into once and our fence got tagged every now and again. Somone broke into my car that was parked in the driveay and stole a two wheel cart for hauling boxes. During the INternatioanl Street Fair we sometimes had drunk people pee or throw up in our driveway. The biggest issue was that someone once stabbed our dog through the fence with something. (He recovered with a few dozen stitches).

We never felt threatened or unsafe, but there were problems. If I were going to live permantenyl in Orange Coutny again, Old town orange would be on the short list of five places that I would like to live (only three of which I could possibly afford to live in).

Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,162,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBeeM View Post
I'm a single mid-50s lady who will be looking for a rental. I'd love a place with charm in a safe neighborhood, walking distance to stores/cafes, if possible. I'd prefer to stay under $1300. Any thoughts?
I live next city over from Orange (Anaheim), and have driven it and walked through it countless times.

I don't know about current prices for rentals, but I can say where I would be careful if I was a single woman....

92865 zip code comprises the area of the city north of Katella Ave. There are literally dozens of apartment communites that are in back of the Village of Orange (on Tustin St., the old "Mall of Orange), especially on Canal Street and those environs, stretching from Lincoln AVE (east/west) south to Meats, and there are more apts/condos south of Meats and along it as well. Also are apartments on the streets that cross Orange/Olive Road north of Taft Ave. (though you will have to love the train for these )

Did you want a 1 or 2 bd? You should be able to find something in your price range in this area.

92866 is Old Town and east and south, as mentioned above. Probably more expensive than 92865 and don't forget about the Historical folks. But probably doesn't matter since you plan to rent, not own. You might some deals outside of the historical area.

92867 has many apartment communities as well; many are between Tustin St. and the 55 fwy; some of these look a little worn and, at least to my mind seem a tad isolated and uninviting. Use care in this area; prices should be lower, though.

92868 is the west side; many apartments, but be careful, especially on the far west edge. If it is way below your range, don't take it. The Block is nearby, and there are some nice places not far from there.

92869 is east of 55 and some parts border the wilderness. Either it is very expensive or it isn't but is near El Modena (an old barrio area). You might some good deals there but be careful if it is near Hewes/Chapman. Get a good sense first if you would be feel comfortable or not.

Just my two cents.

92867 is gen

Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM

We lived in 92868 and were at the outside edge of old town. Other parts of 92868 were awful (loads of apartments, too close to main street or the freeway). I am not sure that a zip code is a workable designation for real estate becuase it encompasses very different areas.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,162,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We lived in 92868 and were at the outside edge of old town. Other parts of 92868 were awful (loads of apartments, too close to main street or the freeway). I am not sure that a zip code is a workable designation for real estate becuase it encompasses very different areas.
Yes, zip codes may not be the best way to go for designating real estate, but absent very many names of neighborhoods I had to start somewhere.

That is why I tried to indicate intersections as well.....

Parts of 92868 are not good because of the OVC (Orange Varrio Cypress) gang. Fortunately, the injunction against them still holds; the ACLU's bid to have it lifted was rejected.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:23 PM

Thanks for some great answers. I hope to go explore the area within next few weeks. To LearningCA, thanks for the idea but I have 3 cats (2 belong to one of daughters) right now & am also far too independent to be a good roommate!
My only other location idea at this moment is Long Beach. I love unique, eclectic areas with people who are accepting of others. Broadway in LB is great. I have lots of exploring to do, yay!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM

to Coldjensens, thank you for taking the time to write a "day in the life"...what you described sounds like heaven on earth! You must be a very happy person!

Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 8,587 times
I also liked the day in a life of ...
It almost sounds like a science fiction story where someone goes back in time.
It does sound wonderful.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Yes, zip codes may not be the best way to go for designating real estate, but absent very many names of neighborhoods I had to start somewhere.

That is why I tried to indicate intersections as well.....

Parts of 92868 are not good because of the OVC (Orange Varrio Cypress) gang. Fortunately, the injunction against them still holds; the ACLU's bid to have it lifted was rejected.

Those are the cretins who kept painting on our fence (3 or 4 times). I would like to accuse them of being the dog stabbers too, but I have no idea. We almost never saw groups of gang kids wandering around. The taggin showed that they were around, but we did not see them. We certianly never felt threatened by them. We saw a lot more gang presense in Santa Ana than in Orange, but even there, they stayed out of our neighborhood for themost part.

Certain parts of Orange County are a trip back to the past. Old Town is one such area. Our neighborhood in Santa Ana (French Park) is that way too. One newspaper writed called it Mayberry (only with grafitti).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-25-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County