Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM

121 posts, read 220,966 times

Advertisements

I hope I don't offend anyone, but what is portrayed on Bravo I'm hoping is a joke. We will be in OC for a few years with my husband's job and I look forward to having friendships that will be lasting. Please tell be there are nice, normal folks in Orange County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,171,824 times
What's wrong with what you saw on Bravo?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,837,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone, but what is portrayed on Bravo I'm hoping is a joke. We will be in OC for a few years with my husband's job and I look forward to having friendships that will be lasting. Please tell be there are nice, normal folks in Orange County
Nope, everything in OC is as portrayed on reality TV. Everyone's rich and shallow and they live in exclusive gate guarded communities full of custom mansions. Keep watching and learning. TV is good for you.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,569,402 times
Quote:
People may "type" you just because you watch Bravo (or too much TV in general).

Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nope, everything in OC is as portrayed on reality TV. Everyone's rich and shallow and they live in exclusive gate guarded communities full of custom mansions. Keep watching and learning. TV is good for you.

Television is more often than not pathological hypnosis...

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM

12 posts, read 66,522 times
No, all the women are not like those fools. I watch that show to laugh at the vulgarity of newly upper middle class people. There are a lot of normal people here who have their wits about them not to act that silly.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,468,581 times
Default Reality check!

Quote:
There are three million people in Orange County. I have never seen that show (read about it in our local newspaper) but the vast majority are not like these publicity-hounds.

Where in Orange County will you be, by the way?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,533,896 times
It partially depends on where you live, but more on who you are and who you hang out with. If by housewives, you mean stay at home moms, they are rare except at either end of the incoome spectrum. Everyone in the middle has huge morgages that require both spouses to work.

We decided to bite the bullet and have my wife quit her job to take care of our children. It was hard, but we muddled through and eventually got our finances in good shape again after many years. My wife suddenly found herself a bit lonely. Everyone that she knew worked during the day. She had a hard time meeting other stay at home moms who were not either uber rich and therefore either snobby, or simply not interested in doing the things that my wife could afford to do, or dirt poor and not a good match for reasons that I do not care to post.

My wife found several solutions to meet other "normal" stay at home moms. (For most people "normal" means "people who are like me). She joined a church based group called "MOPS" (Mothers of Pre-schoolers) and met lots of nice moms there. She met others through our church. She started a group of moms who would meet at various parks on Thursday at around 10 a.m. and have picnic lunch and let all the kids play together. Her friends invited a friend of their, and that person might invite another friend or two. That group grew to about 20 moms before it fell apart after four or five years. Eventually she made some friends of similar stay at home moms and met one or two of their friends and gradually built a new circle of friends, thus, she usually had several people that she could call to get together for an outing, picnic, trip to a museum or just lunch.

None of her friends were anything like what they show on that stupid TV show although I have met women like that. (well, maybe one of her frineds was kind of like that, another one I always thought was a complete loon, but the rest were "normal").

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,812,606 times
I remember when I was in South OC, a co worker would watch the "real OC housewives" during the break. When I asked her, she said since most of her family were out of state, they watched that show and thought that is how she lives. She wanted to know what their perception was. And this was some hard working woman/mother.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,207,590 times
Quote:
Not to worry,the persons that are portrayed on "The Real Housewives of OC" are caricatures. Yes,there are families like that in OC,quite a few of them in fact,but they can be found in any place,including the one you are coming from.The Bravo program is meant to draw viewers and should be viewed as entertainment. Most OC residents seldom if ever watch it,and those that do just laugh and kind of shake their heads.While Orange County does have a good number of pretentious people,most are down to earth and are just as normal as the ones you are leaving behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County