Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
We don't have basements because we dont have tornados

I really didn't know how fresh California's produce was until I visited my friend in Virginia during late winter one year.....
Lack of tornadoes is not the reason CA doesn't have basements.

How come California homes have no basement?

I noticed this too. In CA I'd make a big salad on Sunday and eat a little bit of it for lunch through the week. It was fresh until TH or F. In CO and AL it was becoming old by Wednesday. May be the extra day or two of shipping from CA to other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Lack of tornadoes is not the reason CA doesn't have basements.

How come California homes have no basement?

I noticed this too. In CA I'd make a big salad on Sunday and eat a little bit of it for lunch through the week. It was fresh until TH or F. In CO and AL it was becoming old by Wednesday. May be the extra day or two of shipping from CA to other states.

Well, heck, Charles, thanks for teaching me something new today! (But one poster on that thread mentioned the lack of frost and I don't quite understand, as we do get frost and the ground does freeze in certain areas of CA. I'll check it out when I have more time. thanks.)....I have been checking out properties in CO and they all have basements....and they have tornados, so I just put it all together with what I have seen on the news and movies as far as escaping disaster.....i.e. as in rushing down to the 'root cellar' in order to let the tornado pass.... Fairly old homes in CA sometimes have basements.....my grandparents had one, (Northern Cal), but it was not anything like what they have in CO.....it was more like a 'root cellar' with the double door lifting out into the yard......canned goods were stored in it...

My friend in Virginia has one, but it's not big.....they have a sump pump down there and maybe a water heater or somehting, I can't remember...

Anyway, I was trying to point out a few reasons why CA is so populated....living here my whole live, I can handle an earthquake and have been through 2 very bad fires, but a tornado would definitely make me feel uneasy.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I was trying to point out a few reasons why CA is so populated....living here my whole live, I can handle an earthquake and have been through 2 very bad fires, but a tornado would definitely make me feel uneasy.
Earthquakes are scary because of their unpredictability. I vividly remember the 1971 quake - scared the heck out of me, I was 9. The 1994 was scary too - I guess the whole thing of being in a deep sleep and your house starts bouncing and windows are deafening.

We've have several tornado warnings here in spring but you can tell they're coming and you can practically watch them on the radar displays and the weathermen can pretty much tell you the path within a mile or so.

I went through a nasty Colorado blizzard three years ago. My hands were shaking when I got home after driving through it for three yours. Still, they are predictable.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My understanding, and as explained below on the Redfin website, is that short sales are extremely difficult to secure.

Redfin explains it this way, it is worth reading the text in the lower URL.

"This home is flagged as a short sale. We're sorry, we don't tour or write offers on short sales because of the slim chance that you'll get the home. "

which points to:

Short Sales | Redfin

Redfin allows a home searcher to filter out short sales. This will probably give you a realistic picture of the housing market.

Here's a thread that has some info

https://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...hort-sale.html

Still, there are indications that things may loosen up. Also, and this is important, even if you can't score a short sale, short sales are still used as comps. That's good for you the home buyer.
Obama's standardized short-sale plan could help troubled homeowners -- latimes.com

Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,296 times
Depends what your plans are. If you want to buy my advice would be Laguna Niguel because of the Mello Roos taxes. I don't think you would have and complaints with ether if you are renting. Both cities are very nice and safe.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaAgnt View Post
Depends what your plans are. If you want to buy my advice would be Laguna Niguel because of the Mello Roos taxes. I don't think you would have and complaints with ether if you are renting. Both cities are very nice and safe.

Mello Roos amounts can be found here:

County Of Orange - Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office

Mello Roos amounts are of finite length in years and are based on the age of the home, not the purchase date. So, if a home built in 1995 has a 20 year Mello Roos maturity, it will expire in about five years. That means, with all else being equal (not that it ever is), a home with a $4000/year Mello Roos expiring in 2015 is preferable to a home with a $3000/year Mello Roos expiring in 2025.

The big hassle is finding out when these Mello Roos expire. There is no website that provides this information. You literally have to telephone somebody (telephone, you know, 1930s technology) and provide a property address and the person at the other end of the phone will put down her tuna sandwich and look it up for you.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 AM

81 posts, read 195,964 times
Quote:

Aliso has a college.....can't think of the name right now. It's kind of a Japanese word...I was there for a swim meet.....it's a nice campus...
Soka University off Wood Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County