Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
1) I grew up in LA County but lived on the east coast as an adult for about 5 years (NYC/Wash, D.C.). Trust me, try moving away for a few years and you will WELCOME the boredom you currently hate. At least that is how it happened for me. The summers back east are WORSE than the winters (though I didn't care for the winters either).

2) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The SoCalif. landscape is very UNIQUE. Nothing like it in the United States: Deserts, Mountains, and Ocean in one place. The tallest mountain peak in New York state is only 5,344 feet. Mt Whitney is over 14,000 feet and there are several peaks in LA County over 10,000 feet. Mt. San Gorgonio is over 11,000 feet high and overlooks a desert. Very FEW places on earth like that. Or try hiking Temescal Canyon near Santa Monica....there is even a small waterfall, vegetation is pretty lush, and there is an ocean overlook at the top. On a very clear day you can see Catalina Island.

Yes, we do NOT have the green or tree coverage like say New England or the Southeast. A tip of the hat to them for that. It comes with cold winters (new england) and very hot, humid summers (southeast).

Finally, LA County which developed earlier than OC has some very nice tree-lined communities such as Pasadena, So. Pasadena, Holmby Hills, Hancock Park, etc.
Oh, I agree (and stated) that unless you are in the mountains....and maybe I should have added a place you go ON PURPOSE (like hiking in Santa Monica- which is pretty!), you don't get to *live* with it....ya' know? You have to GO there to see it/experience it...you don't just get it by default.

I also agree about the summers....I can't stand the humidity of Chicago or NYC in the summer. I totally forgot about that! Probably because I take for granted the fact that overall, CA is not humid.

OC does have some really nice tree lined communities similar to the LA ones mentioned. And I love those neighborhoods you mentioned! Great residential architecture! But, again, by and large.....when you are out and about, or if you don't live in a lush and established neighborhood....its just kinda "blah". Other than the sun shining....its a developed, concrete mess! haha! But....Im talking in comparison to the tree cover of the east coast, etc. I do realize the CA landscape, overall, is the most diverse in probably all the country (it also bogarts nearly the entire Pacific coast, so go figure! haha!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM

72 posts, read 200,847 times
There is probably no perfect weather and it depends upon your preferences in terms of activities. I would say that weather in Southern Cal is probably "one of the best" for outdoor activities years round.
I live in Central NJ and this year we had over 80 inches of Snow this winter, a few floods in Spring, a handfull of confortable days (for me mid 70's) and now we had over 10 days (beside today...) of 90 F + days and several air quality alerts. So overall I do like seasons, I like skiing and all but I have toa dmit that being able to have dinner almost every day of the year outside is very tempting...

Happy 4th of July week end in CA ! we are going to close to 100 F, 60 % humidity this week end...

Pcosbill

Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post
There is probably no perfect weather and it depends upon your preferences in terms of activities. I would say that weather in Southern Cal is probably "one of the best" for outdoor activities years round.
I live in Central NJ and this year we had over 80 inches of Snow this winter, a few floods in Spring, a handfull of confortable days (for me mid 70's) and now we had over 10 days (beside today...) of 90 F + days and several air quality alerts. So overall I do like seasons, I like skiing and all but I have toa dmit that being able to have dinner almost every day of the year outside is very tempting...

Happy 4th of July week end in CA ! we are going to close to 100 F, 60 % humidity this week end...

Pcosbill
I've seen on the TV how hot the East Coast has been this summer. Here it has been the opposite with one of the coolest summers on record so far.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 200,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I've seen on the TV how hot the East Coast has been this summer. Here it has been the opposite with one of the coolest summers on record so far.

The problem is also that the plants and grass or not used to it and (no offense) right now it looks like California in late August

Hope to be able to move to OC late summer early fall

Pecosbill

Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 PM

93 posts, read 265,050 times
Another thing besides weather that I appreciate about SoCal is whenver I look up I see mountains. When I visit family in Michigan I really notice the lack of mountains and I think that is a bit boring.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
Another thing besides weather that I appreciate about SoCal is whenver I look up I see mountains. When I visit family in Michigan I really notice the lack of mountains and I think that is a bit boring.
I agree with this. I love seeing the mountains. I miss them right now, as I'm in Palo Alto for the summer.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:40 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
The great thing about places like San Diego is that you have it all. Mountains and ocean, surfing and snow skiing all at your fingertips. I love San Diego weather. Give me that 330 days of Fall, as someone said earlier on this forum, any day.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:14 PM

69 posts, read 178,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
The great thing about places like San Diego is that you have it all. Mountains and ocean, surfing and snow skiing all at your fingertips. I love San Diego weather. Give me that 330 days of Fall, as someone said earlier on this forum, any day.
Exactly. We have the ocean, snow, rivers (with no gators), beautiful
mountains, 70's during the day, 60's at night, can't beat that. We have it
all, if you don't like it go to Miami or something.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM

457 posts, read 978,537 times
I've lived in a Chicago suburb for 25 years and now in Orange County for 25 years. Hot topic in Orange County? The weather! Which by the way is constantly sunny and gets to be boring after the initial euphoria of it wears off. It's like I'm in a Groundhog Day movie. Can't believe I get excited when I see puffy white clouds! Oh yea, it's dry heat...I'll remember that the next time I drive to Vegas or Palm Springs in August. 113 freakin degrees. I agree with the original post. I'm ready to move for the season changes too. My thought.....I'll put up with 5 months of winter to live in a $300,000 house built in the mid 90s on a .25 acre of land instead of getting raped with the California housing. Oh, did I mention the weather is nice here?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 51,957 times
Some of you guys are crazy....

Being from California and visiting a place in the winter is not the same as living there. I'm from Idaho and now live in Colorado, both states with a ton of California transplants.

Californians come here to experience the seasons, but after a couple winters of shoveling snow non-stop and always being cold, they end up hating it here.

The grass is always greener, but I can tell you one thing, there is a reason why so many people live in California, even if the state is broke, the unemployment is high, and the houses are insanely priced, because it's NICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County