Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times

Advertisements

Where else will the thermometer reach 89 degrees, as it did in San Gabriel earlier this week, tops in the nation, as well as 85 in LA & Burbank?

If that's not paradise with Christmas right around the corner, then nothing is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 05:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
I agree; I'm all for warm winters. But SoCal winter, while not as bad as up north, is usually not warm! Usually in the 60sF, rainy and nights in the 40sF. Hawaiian winters or Central/South FL (not during a cold front) winters are the true paradise (not counting the US Territories).

Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 AM

651 posts, read 862,412 times
I can understand where the poster is coming from. When I lived in CA for 6-7 years straight it did get boring. There is little lightening or cool storms. I am out in CO and CO has good weather and is sunny, but the winters are a little cold. The temperature swings we experience from day to day or hour to hour are extreme. We see 60-70 degree days this month and also have seen -15 degree days. huge swings.

I like CA because you don't have to put up with snow all day every day like the midwest, the humidty is usually in check and the sun.

Put it another way, what if you switched your sunny days with cloudy ones and reveresed your 71 degree highs with 17 degree high's. How fun would that be for 3-4 months?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Weather...not paradise?!?! Today it is!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Where else will the thermometer reach 89 degrees, as it did in San Gabriel earlier this week, tops in the nation, as well as 85 in LA & Burbank?

It's not paradise for people who don't like it to be hot in the winter.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It's not paradise for people who don't like it to be hot in the winter.
Or not understanding that a hot and dry winter carries the potential for severe consequences come next summer and fall in the form of many, large, and possibly catastrophic wildfires, water rationing (read: unsightly dead lawns), and food prices shooting into the ionosphere....because so much of it that you take for granted is grown in the San Joaquin and Imperial Valleys (two areas that to you, are nothing but third class areas even though you probably need them more than they need you), which were fallowed because golf courses were deemed more deserving of water than irrigation for farming and there wasn't enough to go around.

MANY....perhaps MOST Californians don't care-let alone think-about such things. They only live in the here and now. Witness how many times you see people writing about how much they hate the rain or how "it's ok...as long as it only comes on weeknights between 9PM and 4AM." Or my favorite "It's not supposed to rain in SoCal!". Then of course once half the state is being incinerated (and the sky has turned brown), those very same people are saying "Please...we need some rain".

Such people are either incredibly short sighted or monumentally stupid. Or both. We NEED rain. Lots of it. And if that ruins your bike ride or walk on the beach for a few days, oh well. Get over yourself. There will be plenty of chances to do that.

I am one that's actually hoping for no rain. People like that need a serious wake up call. Someone who whines about rain and then goes on to lose their house in a wildfire deserved it as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM

282 posts, read 446,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

+1!!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Or not understanding that a hot and dry winter carries the potential for severe consequences come next summer and fall in the form of many, large, and possibly catastrophic wildfires, water rationing (read: unsightly dead lawns), and food prices shooting into the ionosphere....because so much of it that you take for granted is grown in the San Joaquin and Imperial Valleys (two areas that to you, are nothing but third class areas even though you probably need them more than they need you), which were fallowed because golf courses were deemed more deserving of water than irrigation for farming and there wasn't enough to go around.

MANY....perhaps MOST Californians don't care-let alone think-about such things. They only live in the here and now. Witness how many times you see people writing about how much they hate the rain or how "it's ok...as long as it only comes on weeknights between 9PM and 4AM." Or my favorite "It's not supposed to rain in SoCal!". Then of course once half the state is being incinerated (and the sky has turned brown), those very same people are saying "Please...we need some rain".

Such people are either incredibly short sighted or monumentally stupid. Or both. We NEED rain. Lots of it. And if that ruins your bike ride or walk on the beach for a few days, oh well. Get over yourself. There will be plenty of chances to do that.

I am one that's actually hoping for no rain. People like that need a serious wake up call. Someone who whines about rain and then goes on to lose their house in a wildfire deserved it as far as I'm concerned.
I have a thread about this issue in the weather forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...m-weather.html

Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
We DO need more rain. I wish it was more like a monsoon-tropical, warm rain that came down in buckets. It would solve the drought but still give us warmth-lovers the weather we'd like.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 AM

521 posts, read 732,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I agree; I'm all for warm winters. But SoCal winter, while not as bad as up north, is usually not warm! Usually in the 60sF, rainy and nights in the 40sF. Hawaiian winters or Central/South FL (not during a cold front) winters are the true paradise (not counting the US Territories).
I totally agree! We moved from OC to Kauai this year and have been loving the weather! My husband had to go back to SoCal for a week and said it was very cold and dry and lots of car fumes. He felt sick after going back and couldn't wait to get home to HI. Also, the weather in SoCal was kinda like Groundhogs Day where it was always sunny (not necessarily warm/hot but sunny). We wanted warm weather always but with some variation like how it rains often here or it's gray but still warm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County