Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 11:10 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,327,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
I live about 7 miles from the beach, and you need AC if you want to sleep comfortably at night. We don't get too many 90+ degree days, but we do get the usual wave of 3, 4, or a week where temps stay up in the 90s and low 70s at night. Those are the days you NEED AC. Otherwise, the average summer day, about 83-85 degrees, we can live without having to turn on the AC.

Most of South OC, and anything north of the 5 freeway, you have to have AC in my opinion. For example, Tustin is always a good 5-10 degrees warmer than where I live around South Coast Plaza. South OC just gets really hot because the San Joaquin hills block a lot of the cooling effect from the ocean.

The only area where you can live without AC is if you are within 2-3 miles of the ocean. You get that cooling effect from the ocean all day and night.
I live in Cerritos, which is about eight miles inland from the coast at Seal Beach, and we stay fairly cool in the summer, but we are always significantly warmer than the coast. It’s not uncommon for it to be 88°F in Cerritos and 74°F at Seal Beach pier. Occasionally I see 20°F differences between both locales. Moreover, traveling just one mile inland from the water often results in noticeable temperature change, sometimes up to 5-6°F difference.
But compared to Riverside, San Fernando, and Azusa, Cerritos stays mild. But having said that, I prefer San Francisco weather, as I love sweater weather and dislike hot temperatures. I’d love to live somewhere that has shorter summers and a bit more rain and maybe a bit of snow in the winter. So. Cal seasons are nice and mild obviously (at least near the coast), but the lack of real seasonal shifts is boring and monotonous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 05:02 PM

252 posts, read 425,210 times
I do not see the big deal.

You dont like beach life, where the uniform of the day is board shorts, and a tank tip, or tropical dress for the ladies.
You dont like hiking, sailing, beaching it, or being out at the pool and the jacuzzi....
You dont like heading out to the desert during the winter months to enjoy the outdoor activities there...
You dont like going up to the mountains to enjoy the natural wonders there....summer and winter .

Well, then you need to be where you can be a happy resident and enjoy lots of heat, and humdity, or moonsoons,
or tornados, or huge amounts of rain and mass multistate flooding. You can have sleet, rain, wind, hail and not be bored due to the may gray, or fune gloom.
\
....but how does that work when you are inside your home getting away from the below freezing weather or waiting for the snow plow to clear the roads

We live at the beach, and have been for decades, and we like it. Do we like the may gray, or the june gloom...
well in life you have to compormise...

Durnigh those times, that we need to get away from cold or rain, or low clouds and fog, we can head out to the
desert for some wide open sunshine country....but not when it is super hot out there, like Arizona.

We also like to drive up to Julian in the mountains, and have a few day stay cation at a wonderful B and B, and get our
and have a grand ol time.

May gray and june gloom, we also have an annual three week get away, and head down to the caribbean and skipper
a 36 ft sailing vessel in the British Virgin Islands, Usually in May, before the kids get out of school and Hurricane
season starts. This year was trip number 17. Just the two of us.

We also , swap out going back to our home island of kauai for three weeks in June, and are able to enjoy friends, and the
magical natural beauty of the garden island.

the weather here in Dana Point, on the coast, is varing, from sunny days in the high 70's. To some times late night and early morning low clouds and coastal fog.

Oh my , what do do. Get in the car and drive a mile or so inland to one of our nearby wilderness parks to hike or bbq.

This week, we worked out every morning, except wednesday, where it was sunny here, but drove out to secluded
and quiet Capers Park to BBQ thick prime rib steaks. Yep, under some an arboretum of oak trees. Totally peaceful
and we were the only ones there.

The rest of the week had been sunny, so we did hakes / walks to our Salt Creek Beach, great for surfing, bbqing, and
soaking up the rays. We also got in some pool time, and in sunshine hiked one of our Coastal Trails. And, then
head to harpoon henerys or sunsets for after hiking happy hour food and drink.

Sunday, today is milder, and monderate temps, we walked five minutes down to the beach, along the beach, and
got in some cardio, and now Erica is fixing an early dinner, since during the summer, we walk over to
Sea Terrace Park for the Summer Sunday free concerts in the park. Uniform of the day for hiking and the beach was
board shorts and no shirt. The concert is board shorts, and a rams practice jersey.

Seems like those who do not like the lifestyle here, really need to head east, or maybe west to kauai island. nahhh,
to boring of weather and no snow , or ice, or sleet, or hail or freezing winters .

Anyway, that is our life, here in south orange county, and I have lived in orange county since 1956....and before work
during the summer, guess where we were, yep, at the beach, body surfing, chumming the gremmie girls, playing foot
ball or volley ball.

Later ,during the college years, we lived on Balboa Island, Newport Beach and Balboa Peninsula, and Corona Del Mar.
Now this was during the winter....rents were too high in the summer, so we moved inland a mile or two and drove to
the beach.

That is my prospective on living in at the beach cities which also included huntington, and seal in more recent years.
then ten years on kauai island and moved back to the mainland , to Dan Point five years ago.

We love it.

And , we are staying put. However, we do have family who moved to Tubac Arizona, and we visit them during the
winter months....not now with temps in the 100's, We have a great time there, getting out and enjoying the
desert lifestyle. But home will remain here in Dana Point, Ca, at the beach, and away from the busy conjestion
of L.A.

Main thing, no matter where any of us chose to live, enjoy what ever the life style and climate might bestow upon
you. Have a good time, meet new friends, and live life to the max.

It is all good.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:06 AM

57 posts, read 48,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
I do not see the big deal.

You dont like beach life, where the uniform of the day is board shorts, and a tank tip, or tropical dress for the ladies.
You dont like hiking, sailing, beaching it, or being out at the pool and the jacuzzi....
You dont like heading out to the desert during the winter months to enjoy the outdoor activities there...
You dont like going up to the mountains to enjoy the natural wonders there....summer and winter .

Well, then you need to be where you can be a happy resident and enjoy lots of heat, and humdity, or moonsoons,
or tornados, or huge amounts of rain and mass multistate flooding. You can have sleet, rain, wind, hail and not be bored due to the may gray, or fune gloom.
\
....but how does that work when you are inside your home getting away from the below freezing weather or waiting for the snow plow to clear the roads

We live at the beach, and have been for decades, and we like it. Do we like the may gray, or the june gloom...
well in life you have to compormise...

Durnigh those times, that we need to get away from cold or rain, or low clouds and fog, we can head out to the
desert for some wide open sunshine country....but not when it is super hot out there, like Arizona.

We also like to drive up to Julian in the mountains, and have a few day stay cation at a wonderful B and B, and get our
and have a grand ol time.

May gray and june gloom, we also have an annual three week get away, and head down to the caribbean and skipper
a 36 ft sailing vessel in the British Virgin Islands, Usually in May, before the kids get out of school and Hurricane
season starts. This year was trip number 17. Just the two of us.

We also , swap out going back to our home island of kauai for three weeks in June, and are able to enjoy friends, and the
magical natural beauty of the garden island.

the weather here in Dana Point, on the coast, is varing, from sunny days in the high 70's. To some times late night and early morning low clouds and coastal fog.

Oh my , what do do. Get in the car and drive a mile or so inland to one of our nearby wilderness parks to hike or bbq.

This week, we worked out every morning, except wednesday, where it was sunny here, but drove out to secluded
and quiet Capers Park to BBQ thick prime rib steaks. Yep, under some an arboretum of oak trees. Totally peaceful
and we were the only ones there.

The rest of the week had been sunny, so we did hakes / walks to our Salt Creek Beach, great for surfing, bbqing, and
soaking up the rays. We also got in some pool time, and in sunshine hiked one of our Coastal Trails. And, then
head to harpoon henerys or sunsets for after hiking happy hour food and drink.

Sunday, today is milder, and monderate temps, we walked five minutes down to the beach, along the beach, and
got in some cardio, and now Erica is fixing an early dinner, since during the summer, we walk over to
Sea Terrace Park for the Summer Sunday free concerts in the park. Uniform of the day for hiking and the beach was
board shorts and no shirt. The concert is board shorts, and a rams practice jersey.

Seems like those who do not like the lifestyle here, really need to head east, or maybe west to kauai island. nahhh,
to boring of weather and no snow , or ice, or sleet, or hail or freezing winters .

Anyway, that is our life, here in south orange county, and I have lived in orange county since 1956....and before work
during the summer, guess where we were, yep, at the beach, body surfing, chumming the gremmie girls, playing foot
ball or volley ball.

Later ,during the college years, we lived on Balboa Island, Newport Beach and Balboa Peninsula, and Corona Del Mar.
Now this was during the winter....rents were too high in the summer, so we moved inland a mile or two and drove to
the beach.

That is my prospective on living in at the beach cities which also included huntington, and seal in more recent years.
then ten years on kauai island and moved back to the mainland , to Dan Point five years ago.

We love it.

And , we are staying put. However, we do have family who moved to Tubac Arizona, and we visit them during the
winter months....not now with temps in the 100's, We have a great time there, getting out and enjoying the
desert lifestyle. But home will remain here in Dana Point, Ca, at the beach, and away from the busy conjestion
of L.A.

Main thing, no matter where any of us chose to live, enjoy what ever the life style and climate might bestow upon
you. Have a good time, meet new friends, and live life to the max.

It is all good.

My fiance and I are tired of '4 seasons', if you can even say that about NC. He's a residential framer and I'm hoping to further my career in the tv/film industry (I'm negotiating right now with a production co in LA so we'd have to be close to that area). We don't mind extreme heat as long as we've got a/c, but we do not care for snow, ice, etc. He's also into fishing and loves the beach (I'm more of a mountain person, esp for hiking and photography). We can't wait to relocate to California and experience the lifestyle. We both have family out there (Altadena and Palm Springs) but have no plans to live with them. We're both in our 40s, no kids but we do have animals (his 2 dogs and my cat). We aren't into living large so our biggest expense out West will be rent. At least, that's what we're hoping.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 AM

30,668 posts, read 19,369,876 times
Socal is a pretty large area with significant diversity in climate between the coast, inland 10 miles, the desert further inland and some high altitude. For me, inland about 8 miles is pretty ideal and far better than anywhere in the country outside of California except for Hawaii.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 AM

1,134 posts, read 406,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
....Anyway, that is our life, here in south orange county, and I have lived in orange county since 1956....and before work during the summer, guess where we were, yep, at the beach, body surfing, chumming the gremmie girls, playing foot ball or volley ball.
Lived right near the beach for three years now, before that lived about 35 miles inland. I could never complain about the weather here. Shorts and flip-flops every day of the year (retired). Never get tired of that.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,723,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Lived right near the beach for three years now, before that lived about 35 miles inland. I could never complain about the weather here. Shorts and flip-flops every day of the year (retired). Never get tired of that.
I always imagine people that say they wear "shorts and flip-flops every day of the year" must literally be freezing their butts off for half the year. I live in Irvine and this past Winter it was downright cool to cold. The entire month of Feb, we did not crack 70 degrees. It was in the upper 40s through the 60s all winter long. Not exactly "shorts and flip-flops" type of weather when one walks outside and it's 50.

I mean, the weather here in SoCal is generally pleasant, but I find it to be on the cool side. I remember this past June, during the June Gloom, it would legit be in the 60s all day long. I couldn't stand it. June and overcast in the 60s, while the rest of the country was enjoying warmth and sunshine.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 6,324,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I remember this past June, during the June Gloom, it would legit be in the 60s all day long. I couldn't stand it. June and overcast in the 60s, while the rest of the country was enjoying warmth and sunshine.
60's and overcast is near perfect weather for outside activities like a five mile run. Especially when the rest of the country is suffering with heat and humidity! If its above 80 I am inside until sunset with the air conditioner set on 68.

San Francisco is the location in California with near perfect summer weather. It almost makes up for the other numerous deficiencies of the place. Just wish the winters were a little colder. I miss having temps in the low 40's and 30's.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:05 PM

3,487 posts, read 5,295,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
60's and overcast is near perfect weather for outside activities like a five mile run. Especially when the rest of the country is suffering with heat and humidity! If its above 80 I am inside until sunset with the air conditioner set on 68.

San Francisco is the location in California with near perfect summer weather. It almost makes up for the other numerous deficiencies of the place. Just wish the winters were a little colder. I miss having temps in the low 40's and 30's.
SF Summers are to cool for my taste, but there's not much difference between winter and summer. In that regard, the winters, while cooler than SoCal, are among the mildest in the country. SF hasn't reported a freezing temperature in nearly thirty years.

Agree with the above poster that eight miles inland is about the sweet spot.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM

1,134 posts, read 406,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I always imagine people that say they wear "shorts and flip-flops every day of the year" must literally be freezing their butts off for half the year.
Nah..... not at all. I have no problem wearing shorts & flip-flops during temps in the 50's. If we ever had daytime temps in the 40's here along the beach, I don't recall it. There must not have been many. And since I'm retired I rarely have a need to go out early, so any "chilliness" in the morning is a non-issue for me.

It's hard for me to imagine people "freezing their butts off" in this very mild weather along the Southern California beaches. But not everybody tolerates temperatures the same way, so I suppose it's possible. I guess.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,295,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Nah..... not at all. I have no problem wearing shorts & flip-flops during temps in the 50's. If we ever had daytime temps in the 40's here along the beach, I don't recall it. There must not have been many. And since I'm retired I rarely have a need to go out early, so any "chilliness" in the morning is a non-issue for me.

It's hard for me to imagine people "freezing their butts off" in this very mild weather along the Southern California beaches. But not everybody tolerates temperatures the same way, so I suppose it's possible. I guess.
I freeze in 50s during the day. Last winter felt like being back in NorCal. I was in jackets and sweaters for months. And walking the dog at night (30s and 40s), I would add scarves. But I know different people run hot or cold. I've seen people in Michigan driving their convertibles on a barely fifty degree day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County