Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
How can you NOT like this weather?
I'am also from NJ and used to November to March being anywhere from 0 degrees to 50 degrees. With global warming, I feel NJ has become much more undepredictable as far as the weather goes. Last year it was 60degrees in February a couple days and below zero 2 days. Is that nuts or what?!?!?
I moved to California FOR THE WEATHER. It is perfect out here. Always sunny, comfortable, NOT humid, and beautiful. Has anyone else noticed that the heights of people in California seem to be much more than NJ? I mean people's stature. And no not just because over 70% of NJ is either italian or jewish. I really think the weather attributes to a more rapid growth out here for people, and obviously plant life is affected by it. I am 6'0 and I feel avg out here, in NJ 6'0 is rather tall. Here in socal, I am seeing numerous people well above 6'2! Can anyone else relate to me or is this blasphemy? Lol
Unpredictable weather is the best! It’s like Roulette. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 01:06 PM

783 posts, read 512,356 times
SoCal has the distinction of being the most ideal climate for humans on the planet. I'm a SoCal native, and would live here for the rest of my life. I own a home in near-coastal Orange Co. But, my son and his wife, with my three Grandsons, have moved to TX, partly because my DIL was offered a great promotion to run a company office there. Also, they could not afford to buy a house where they wanted to live, the Yorba Linda area, and they didn't want to live in the Inland Empire or east of the San Gabriel Mtns, so they did a recon trip to TX, made a low-ball offer on a house they liked, and it was accepted. Four months later, they were moved. Now, if I want to be a part of my Grandsons lives, I have to move to TX, with the added benefit of my retirement dollars going further in TX. I don't want to leave SoCal, but I do want to see my Grandsons more than once every few years, so, TX here I come. As an aside, my Mom was from TX and when I was a kid we'd go there every other summer to see Grandparents and the many cousins I had there.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:33 PM

14,365 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
SoCal has the distinction of being the most ideal climate for humans on the planet. I'm a SoCal native, and would live here for the rest of my life. I own a home in near-coastal Orange Co. But, my son and his wife, with my three Grandsons, have moved to TX, partly because my DIL was offered a great promotion to run a company office there. Also, they could not afford to buy a house where they wanted to live, the Yorba Linda area, and they didn't want to live in the Inland Empire or east of the San Gabriel Mtns, so they did a recon trip to TX, made a low-ball offer on a house they liked, and it was accepted. Four months later, they were moved. Now, if I want to be a part of my Grandsons lives, I have to move to TX, with the added benefit of my retirement dollars going further in TX. I don't want to leave SoCal, but I do want to see my Grandsons more than once every few years, so, TX here I come. As an aside, my Mom was from TX and when I was a kid we'd go there every other summer to see Grandparents and the many cousins I had there.
I hope it goes well for you, but I don't know why staying in California while your grandsons live in Texas has to mean you would only see them every few years. I'll bet that your Texas grandsons would love visiting you in California. My parents stayed in California while all of my siblings moved out of state, and the grandkids visited them. Some of my nieces and nephews are in their 40s now and they still talk about how fun it was to go to the beach and Disneyland and how they looked forward to coming out every year. Oh yeah, and to seeing Grandma and Grandpa too.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:17 PM

Today is 64 in NYC!

Contrarily my weather app says San Diego is 61

Old 03-09-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Today is 64 in NYC!

Contrarily my weather app says San Diego is 61
I thought you said early March was still winter where you are.

It's still winter in San Diego. High of 61 is a winter temp there. Is 64 a winter temp in New York? I don't think so.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I thought you said early March was still winter where you are.

It's still winter in San Diego. High of 61 is a winter temp there. Is 64 a winter temp in New York? I don't think so.
Its not. Last week was 30’s here lol. Those temps will be back next week.

How often does it rain in OC?

Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
How often does it rain in OC?
Depends on the year. Normally, for a few days every couple of weeks or so from November or December through March. Then not really at all for the rest of the year. Average total is 12 or 13".

Up to today, the season total was 3.5". A storm is going through right now and will push us up over 5" at least. But the average to date is 10", so we're behind. Last year we got a lot of rain in April, which is unusually late.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Depends on the year. Normally, for a few days every couple of weeks or so from November or December through March. Then not really at all for the rest of the year. Average total is 12 or 13".

Up to today, the season total was 3.5". A storm is going through right now and will push us up over 5" at least. But the average to date is 10", so we're behind. Last year we got a lot of rain in April, which is unusually late.
But are things green all year? I never been to OC & apologize for my brashness (it’s the NY way, but we’re nice, I swear) ... but in LA & SD in the summertime it seems dry & brown, not pretty vibrant colors & green like we have here. How do you guys grow things?

From when to when is the green?

Old 03-10-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
But are things green all year? I never been to OC & apologize for my brashness (it’s the NY way, but we’re nice, I swear) ... but in LA & SD in the summertime it seems dry & brown, not pretty vibrant colors & green like we have here. How do you guys grow things?

From when to when is the green?
We grow things by watering them. There are very few things you cannot grow here. Unfortunately, some of those things are the ones that people from other areas most want to grow, like tulips, or lilacs, or rhododendrons. These people are much happier when they have been convinced to plant bougainvillea or geraniums instead, and get a lemon tree.

As for the surroundings, if by green you mean landscaping, parks, people's yards, golf courses, etc... they are green all year round, of course. They are irrigated.

If you mean wilderness areas, vacant lots, and other places that are not irrigated, they are generally green from a few weeks after the first rain (whenever that is) until a couple of months after the last rain. Let's say December through May. After that, the grass turns brown and you won't see many wildflowers. So yes, all summer long and through the fall, the local hills will be or at least appear brown. I say "appear" because areas which still retain their native vegetation aren't brown. Those trees, shrubs and cactus won't be a vivid bright green, but they will still be alive and still have green leaves.

So, coming from the East Coast, you have to adjust your expectation of "green time" to a different part of the year.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
We grow things by watering them. There are very few things you cannot grow here. Unfortunately, some of those things are the ones that people from other areas most want to grow, like tulips, or lilacs, or rhododendrons. These people are much happier when they have been convinced to plant bougainvillea or geraniums instead, and get a lemon tree.

As for the surroundings, if by green you mean landscaping, parks, people's yards, golf courses, etc... they are green all year round, of course. They are irrigated.

If you mean wilderness areas, vacant lots, and other places that are not irrigated, they are generally green from a few weeks after the first rain (whenever that is) until a couple of months after the last rain. Let's say December through May. After that, the grass turns brown and you won't see many wildflowers. So yes, all summer long and through the fall, the local hills will be or at least appear brown. I say "appear" because areas which still retain their native vegetation aren't brown. Those trees, shrubs and cactus won't be a vivid bright green, but they will still be alive and still have green leaves.

So, coming from the East Coast, you have to adjust your expectation of "green time" to a different part of the year.
Ok. Thanks. Do ppl have grass & can you install underground sprinkler systems to water everything for you?
Watering, ain’t nobody got time for that.

To me the biggest adjustment seems like lack of rain & seasons. I mean I guess you guys get seasons but it’s not as extreme as what we get here

I don’t particularly care for California weather, but I do know if I am moving there I’m going to have to get used to it.

Love driving along the parkway in Fall & seeing all the leaf colors. That has always been my favorite.

Do many CA ppl find the weather boring? Thats my biggest gripe about the time ive spent in CA. The weather wasnt varied enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County