Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 02:58 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ok. Thanks. Do ppl have grass & can you install underground sprinkler systems to water everything for you?
Watering, ain’t nobody got time for that.

To me the biggest adjustment seems like lack of rain & seasons. I mean I guess you guys get seasons but it’s not as extreme as what we get here

I don’t particularly care for California weather, but I do know if I am moving there I’m going to have to get used to it.

Love driving along the parkway in Fall & seeing all the leaf colors. That has always been my favorite.

Do many CA ppl find the weather boring? Thats my biggest gripe about the time ive spent in CA. The weather wasnt varied enough
Yes, most people with yards or gardens have sprinkler systems, and most of those are on timers so they never even think about them.

I'm sure there are some people in California who find the weather boring, but most seem to appreciate it. Never having to worry about suddenly changing weather isn't all a bad thing. And if you've only been here in the summer, that's the time of year when it changes the least. Right now, today, we are having intermittent showers with brief sunny periods.

But, great fall foliage and a snowy season, those we don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 05:36 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Quote:
Ok. Thanks. Do ppl have grass & can you install underground sprinkler systems to water everything for you?

To me the biggest adjustment seems like lack of rain & seasons. I mean I guess you guys get seasons but it’s not as extreme as what we get here

I don’t particularly care for California weather, but I do know if I am moving there I’m going to have to get used to it.

Love driving along the parkway in Fall & seeing all the leaf colors. That has always been my favorite.

Do many CA ppl find the weather boring? Thats my biggest gripe about the time ive spent in CA. The weather wasnt varied enough
Leaves change and turn color in the central valley, and trees can stay pretty for months because there's no hard rain/ice to knock the leaves off. I don't think socal has as many color changing trees as the central valley does. Also, eastern california has a ton of trees that change color. CA is a big state, so what grows in one part of the state might not do well in others.

Socal has its own beauty, too. All the verdant hills and flowers popping out of the hills during spring is gorgeous stuff. It might not beat out looking at fall trees in the Midwest, but it's still gorgeous.

Calabasas california

Old 03-10-2021, 05:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:

Two things. CA used to be greener but the impact of the drought and more people has changed that. the State/County/City used to water the plants areas along the freeways, roads and now they do not. Now while I have been all over the State, my experience is mainly So California.

The weather does change, just not dramatically. For colder or hotter you need to drive a few hours to experience it. the further North the colder it can get as well. So California has the best weather which is why so many people live in that part of the State instead of other parts. I grew up there and love it. My wife prefers a cold season for the trees to change and that is a minimal thing in the Southern part of the State and she is a native also, though better in the Northern part0. I have lived in a few other States and while they had many good things about them, I still prefer So California. Mind, you to really enjoy all CA has to offer you better make or have a lot of money.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:27 AM

778 posts, read 505,415 times
I didn't mention another motivation for moving to TX. My DIL has been diagnosed with RA, and she needs help with the boys. My wife (our son's mother) and I plan to provide that help.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:05 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I didn't mention another motivation for moving to TX. My DIL has been diagnosed with RA, and she needs help with the boys. My wife (our son's mother) and I plan to provide that help.
While this is gallant of you & your wife, it would be a poor strategy to sell your house in OC, and then move to Texas.

Here's why~

Right now, you enjoy the benefits of Prop. 13. That means LOW prop. tax base (especially if you bought it decades ago.) Having low COL is paramount when on a fixed income. Taxes are a contributing factor to COL.

Texas may not have some taxes, but it DOES have others. (Nobody gets "no taxes.")

Let's say you move to Texas. The grandkids may see you more often (which is good for the g'kids and great for the g'parents!)
Look into the future for a minute. The "boys" are now pre-teen, and want to go to a beach to play in the waves, and see bikini's. Yes, I know Texas has a beach or two (after the hurricane reconstruction,) and that's nice. But there's ZERO chance that the talent anywhere in Texas is going to come close to the talent pool in the OC. Not a chance on this planet. (Granted, Texas isn't horrible, like Pennsylvania, but you get my drift.)

So, it would be best to rent your place if you absolutely HAVE to try Texas on for size. If you sell it, you'll be "priced out" when you decide the Texas Summer is stupid. This way, you can always return...

Old 03-13-2021, 02:03 PM

368 posts, read 365,845 times
Quote:
SoCal has the distinction of being the most ideal climate for humans on the planet. I'm a SoCal native, and would live here for the rest of my life. I own a home in near-coastal Orange Co. But, my son and his wife, with my three Grandsons, have moved to TX, partly because my DIL was offered a great promotion to run a company office there. Also, they could not afford to buy a house where they wanted to live, the Yorba Linda area, and they didn't want to live in the Inland Empire or east of the San Gabriel Mtns, so they did a recon trip to TX, made a low-ball offer on a house they liked, and it was accepted. Four months later, they were moved. Now, if I want to be a part of my Grandsons lives, I have to move to TX, with the added benefit of my retirement dollars going further in TX. I don't want to leave SoCal, but I do want to see my Grandsons more than once every few years, so, TX here I come. As an aside, my Mom was from TX and when I was a kid we'd go there every other summer to see Grandparents and the many cousins I had there.
What part of Texas? We did 30+ years there. It's the summers that get too much as you get older. And the winters are annoyingly cold. North Texas does get winters. My personal preference would be the New Braunfels area between San Antonio and Austin. It's basically a suburb of San Antonio, which is a far better city than Austin.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:10 PM

That is true, Norty, and we've kicked the idea around, but TX is also closer to our daughter, who lives in NY now that grad school is completed, and our other daughter who lives in Colorado, plus some other family, my niece, that lives in North Texas, not sure where. Nothing is carved in stone, yet, anyway.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:35 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
What part of Texas? We did 30+ years there. It's the summers that get too much as you get older. And the winters are annoyingly cold. North Texas does get winters. My personal preference would be the New Braunfels area between San Antonio and Austin. It's basically a suburb of San Antonio, which is a far better city than Austin.
North Texas was the hardest hit during the winter storm last month. Dallas actually dropped to -2F that Tuesday Morning.

Houston only went to 14F and S.A. and Austin hovered around 10. The Gulf of Mexico actually saved Houston (and to a lesser extent S.A. and Austin) from reaching those subzero temperatures without electricity or heat.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:08 PM

Not looking forward to TX weather after a lifetime in SoCal, but whattaya gonna do? Suck it up.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:
Not looking forward to TX weather after a lifetime in SoCal, but whattaya gonna do? Suck it up.
I had family living there, near Dallas, and they had no problem with the weather at all and both the husband and wife were born and grew up in So California. It is like saying CA is a fire trap. Yes bad fires in lots of places and it isn't a good thing to deal with, even with good weather. No place is perfect. To each what they want, can handle and can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County