Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 AM
 
4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Reputation: 6832

Advertisements

I want to add something about the June Gloom.

I used to hate June Gloom until I moved to the beach and bought an oceanfront home. Living on the beach during the gloom was one of the best parts. There is something very magical about the gloom. Truly there is. Until you lived it, you have no idea what I'm talking about. But it is something very special to people living on the beach. It's very peaceful and like I said magical. It was a time to reflect and a time to cherish. It was a time for the Snowy Plovers to lay and hatch their eggs without the disturbance of humans. Sometimes even an eerie time but cool none the less.

It was also a warning sign. The warning was, after the gloom left, all hell broke loose on the beach. The beaches would be so crowded, the Snowy Plovers ran for shelter. The people bathed and played in the sun. Leaving their trash everyone, sad, but true. They were too lazy to throw their litter away in the many trash cans along the beach.

Now, You may see why, to some people (me) living on the beach, that June Gloom was something very very special indeed. I walked my beach everyday for 3 1/2 years and during June Gloom was one of the best times.

I understand that some people don't like the gloom, I used to be one of them. But no more. Nature is happening at the beach during this precious time.

Last edited by Roma; 06-06-2007 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Reputation: 466
I think the bottom line here is this, folks: to each his (or her) own! Let's keep that in mind, especially since this is not a topic people should get so bent out of shape on! We're talking weather here people.

I was born and for the most part raised in Sunny, Southern California, in all it's fantabulous glory. I appreciate it for all that it is. I did like the mild weather when I lived there, although the summers were too hot for me in general.

Last year my wife and I moved to Michigan and currently live in Metropolitan Detroit. I honestly have to say that we LOVE having 4 seasons! I will admit that there are about 2-3 weeks of the summer that are too hot and humid, and about the same in February that gets too cold. But mostly? The weather here stays reasonably comfortable, not too hot or cold most of the time. We love getting rainshowers and thunderstorms, we love that everything is so green, and that the wildflowers bloom everywhere from May thru October. We love the Autumn colors, which are truly breathtaking in this part of the world. We love watching the snow fall, and making snow-angels with our kids. We love that most of the summer is in the 70's and 80's, except for that 2-3 week period previously mentioned.

One thing I'll admit to missing: being able to wear my sandles year-round. I hate shoes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Southern California
38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Reputation: 60072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think the bottom line here is this, folks: to each his (or her) own! Let's keep that in mind, especially since this is not a topic people should get so bent out of shape on! We're talking weather here people.

I was born and for the most part raised in Sunny, Southern California, in all it's fantabulous glory. I appreciate it for all that it is. I did like the mild weather when I lived there, although the summers were too hot for me in general.

Last year my wife and I moved to Michigan and currently live in Metropolitan Detroit. I honestly have to say that we LOVE having 4 seasons! I will admit that there are about 2-3 weeks of the summer that are too hot and humid, and about the same in February that gets too cold. But mostly? The weather here stays reasonably comfortable, not too hot or cold most of the time. We love getting rainshowers and thunderstorms, we love that everything is so green, and that the wildflowers bloom everywhere from May thru October. We love the Autumn colors, which are truly breathtaking in this part of the world. We love watching the snow fall, and making snow-angels with our kids. We love that most of the summer is in the 70's and 80's, except for that 2-3 week period previously mentioned.

One thing I'll admit to missing: being able to wear my sandles year-round. I hate shoes!
I have to hand it to California natives like you who are able to relocate to a northern area of the country and successfully adapt to the four-season climate. I'm not so sure if I myself could, but if I had to, I guess I would.

I agree with you about hating wearing shoes. When I'm home, I don't wear shoes (either socks or barefoot), but when I need to go out to the store, etc., I wear flip-flops, like lots of people around here do this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 PM
 
1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
Reputation: 2069
In my opinion,I think the Southern CA Climate is considered as Healthy and also Wonderful if you enjoy lots of outdoor activities such as myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 AM
 
217 posts, read 845,387 times
Reputation: 55
I'm not sure it matters how much people 'utilize' the weather, but consider living in a place where it's either too sticky and hot or too cold and snowy to do much. Don't get to utilize the weather much in a place like this either. At least in a place where it's nice most of the time you have the option. Almost every time we've had good weather, I've been working, and it's poured on my day off, or been over 90 and sticky (this past week temperatures in Huntington Beach have actually been 10 degrees or more cooler than here in Toledo). This to say nothing of winter. I was actually alone on valentine's day because of a blizzard that shut down the roads, making it impossible for both the fact of snow emergencies (where you can't be on the road) and my boyfriend's car being completely buried.

Of course, it's a minor thing overall. I adjust my plans accordingly (do V-Day a couple days later, suck up the fact I'm gonna get mud on my shoes and go out if I still can after it stops raining) and appreciate more the nice days I do get to enjoy. But I don't think if I lived in a place where it was nice, even if I couldn't 'utilize' it all the time I'd take for g the fact that it doesn't matter what days I work, I can enjoy doing something outdoors on the days I don't have to, and I'm not going to be snowed in on Vday or my birthday, etc.

Oh, here's an Ohio weather story for you...my birthday one year, which is in Jan, it was nice. I mean I actually got to wear a skirt it was so warm (and that almost never happens). By the time I got out of class an hour later, it had started to rain, and get cold and windy. A couple hours later, it was hailing. And then, as if that weren't enough, it started snowing by the evening. Usually a group of friends would go out after the poetry readings we had to attend and since my birthday fell on one such I didn't bother trying to specifically get anything together...but because the snow had gotten worse everyone disbanded. I ended up going with my best friend (who fortunately did not ditch me) and just talking over hamburgers in the dorms. Then, at midnight, there was a fire drill, and it all stopped...all the crappy weather, just in time for my birthday to be over.

Someone mentioned the if you don't like the weather stick around five minutes thing in MI. We say it in OH too, and the above, while not an every day occurrence definitely proves that can be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, CA
253 posts, read 376,581 times
Reputation: 58
I'd like to see this so-called "June Gloom." This weather has been beautiful. For about 2 weeks it was foggy up until about 11 am then it cleared out. If you complain about that then you have bigger problems and had better go see a shrink for therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
 
1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I want to add something about the June Gloom.

I used to hate June Gloom until I moved to the beach and bought an oceanfront home. Living on the beach during the gloom was one of the best parts. There is something very magical about the gloom. Truly there is. Until you lived it, you have no idea what I'm talking about. But it is something very special to people living on the beach. It's very peaceful and like I said magical. It was a time to reflect and a time to cherish. It was a time for the Snowy Plovers to lay and hatch their eggs without the disturbance of humans. Sometimes even an eerie time but cool none the less.

It was also a warning sign. The warning was, after the gloom left, all hell broke loose on the beach. The beaches would be so crowded, the Snowy Plovers ran for shelter. The people bathed and played in the sun. Leaving their trash everyone, sad, but true. They were too lazy to throw their litter away in the many trash cans along the beach.

Now, You may see why, to some people (me) living on the beach, that June Gloom was something very very special indeed. I walked my beach everyday for 3 1/2 years and during June Gloom was one of the best times.

I understand that some people don't like the gloom, I used to be one of them. But no more. Nature is happening at the beach during this precious time.
I agree Roma. My parents still live in La Jolla and some of my favorite moments are walking on the beach with my mother in the morning while having our first cup of the day. The birds even sound different at that time. It IS magical. One thing I miss. But I'll be doing it again next month for about 14 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 12:14 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
I'd like to see this so-called "June Gloom." This weather has been beautiful. For about 2 weeks it was foggy up until about 11 am then it cleared out. If you complain about that then you have bigger problems and had better go see a shrink for therapy.
This year has been a little unusual. The clouds usually last much longer both in terms of weeks and how far into the day. We've had years where it pretty much lasted until noon all summer. 4-6 week is more typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
 
4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Reputation: 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
I agree Roma. My parents still live in La Jolla and some of my favorite moments are walking on the beach with my mother in the morning while having our first cup of the day. The birds even sound different at that time. It IS magical. One thing I miss. But I'll be doing it again next month for about 14 days.
I'm soooo jealous Shannon94!!! Have a fun trip!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
 
73 posts, read 449,058 times
Reputation: 72
In the news today:

DOWNRIGHT DUSTY

The federal Climate Prediction Center says that a weak La Nina might develop late this summer, possibly extending Orange County's record breaking dry spell.

La Nina is a periodic climate change that usually results in below average precipitation in Southern California. That's the last thing needed in Orange County, which will finish the 2006-07 rainy season on Saturday with 2.2 inches of rain, the lowest total since record keeping began in 1948. The figures were recorded in Santa Ana.

The drought already is a source of concern. The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California -- which imports about half of the region's water -- is spending an unprecedented $6.3 million on radio, television, print and online advertising in hopes of getting people to conserve.


We live in the desert. If you like desert weather with imported water you'll like Southern CA. It turns out that plenty of people like the desert weather. I sure don't. It's a love/hate kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top