Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM

18 posts, read 89,246 times

Advertisements

I've done the 4 seasons thing being Canadian and let me tell you I am THRILLED that I do not have to start my car with it being plugged in, nor do I have to shovel myself out of my driveway, feel my contact lenses freeze on my eyeballs, walk my dog at 6 a.m. in pitch black, nor do I miss THE WIND CHILL FACTORâ„¢ which can make it feel like 20 below on good days.

Having said that I do miss spring and fall, but with the aid of a newfangled invention called the airplane, I can usually experience each during the year.

I wouldn't trade Cali weather for anything, except maybe for the south of France or Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 11,959 times
S. California is famous for its year-round sunshine and dry summers. It's also dry air

Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
No I wouldn't compare it to someone who wants an unstable relationship. When I visit other states I am jealous of the clear blue skies and puffy clouds decorating the sky. In different climates, after a brief summer rainstorm the colorful wildflowers bloom. In the winter, a little bit of snow gives a special postcard feeling to the Christmas season, and another way to play like a kid in the soft powder. When the wind blows, it gives a soothing breeze and you can listen to the rustle of the plants. I miss natural meadows with a variety of plants, but in Southern CA the fields are dominated by mustard weed and dried brown grass. These are the wonderful sights and sounds of the natural variety provided by weather... we don't get the "beauty of weather" here in Southern CA.
I think there's a difference between visiting a place with a wide variety of weather and actually living there.

Despite the smog, most people would give their eye teeth to have SoCal's weather (except for maybe the Inland Empire or desert areas).

And, by the way, the smog in SoCal is still bad, but the air is much cleaner than it used to be. It's much cleaner than it was even 10 years ago, and that trend is set to continue.

Other places have other annoying features. I just got back from Florida and I was really annoyed that I couldn't eat outside because it was windy. I never have that problem in CA. If it's sunny, it's usually not windy. Or the windy places are in predictable spots.

Also, a lot of other places have annoying bugs.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
We lived full time in OC for 18 years and then moved back to Michigan. I sitll spend about 15 weeks of the year in Southern CA.

I loved the weather in OC, my wife hated it. (She is from the Boston area). She said it was boring and greed withthe OP right down the line. She is much happier in Michigan. One thing that always bothered her was the Santa Ana winds. She has asthma and during the SA winds, or whenever there was a wildfire she was miserable and nearly incapacitated for weeks.

In Michigan the weather changes constantly and brings lots and lots of surprises. A few weeks ago, I called my son while I was in CA (Ontario) and he said that it was 42 degrees in Michigan. I looked at the thermometer on my dashboard and it said 41. Michigan got up into the 50 plus range that weekend. I think that there were several times that Michigan was warmer than CA during that time. Now it is around 8 and I wish that I were in CA for a few days.

Although I was not looking forward to moving back to the cold, it has not been as bad as I remembered it. I really like the more humid climate during most of the year - it is better for your skin. I am not sure where people get the idea that the entire winter is gray and gloomy. It is not. November is often grey, but the rest of the winter is frequently crystal clear with the bluest skies that you have ever seen (usually broken up by beautiful big white puffy clouds). The "gloominess comes from very short daylight hours, more than from cloud cover. We certainly do nto get as much sunshine as OC, but we do nto have June Gloom or any noticable smog. We never have smog alerts. It is funny to watch how weather events do not phase people here. I have seen picnics remain in full swing despite pouring rain. (Just wait a while, it will pass over - if it is above freezing, then it is time for shorts and frisbees). In CA, if we got a sprinkle, everyone went home.

Also, I am not sure what list was being mentioned for pollution comparisons, but we do not have any noticable air pollution (maybe around Detroit, but I have not noticed it). However they may have been talking about pollution in general, and we do have several superfund sites where the ground or water was badly polluted. They are doing a very good job cleaning it up now that the industry is mostly gone. But we never have brown bands of smog in the sky or any notceable smog haze or smell.

Winter gets old and we long for warm sunny days, but the spring and espcially the fall are beyond compare. Summer is often wonderful, but there are some hot days (80s or 90s) a occaisional mugginess, but it is never over 100 and so hot that you cannot go outside. Thus, although Southern California has fewer and smaller lows, it also lacks the extreme highs when the atmosphere is so incrediblly perfect that you can hardly stand it (those days appear in Michigan's spring and mostly fall, and once in a while during the summer).

Personally I like OC weather better (Maybe I am boring, but I like wearing less clothing), but there are some things better here and some things better in OC. It is pertty much a push. (Except today. Today I would like some 60 or 70 degree weather. Or anything in the double digits would be nice).

However to the OP. If you want adventuresome and ever changing weather, come to Michgian. It will nto disappoint you and you can buy ten houses with the money that you get for your OC house. You just need to bring your job with you.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
One big pending problem for OC and the rest of Sothern CA is water. Within 10 - 20 years, there will be no water for plants and even showers may be limited. Maybe they will find a solution before the cirses really gets severe. Perhpas desalinzation.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One big pending problem for OC and the rest of Sothern CA is water. Within 10 - 20 years, there will be no water for plants and even showers may be limited. Maybe they will find a solution before the cirses really gets severe. Perhpas desalinzation.
desalinization is an energy problem. With unlimited energy, we essentially have unlimited water anywhere you need it.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

65 posts, read 179,683 times
Whoa, this is a LONG thread! I'm relatively new to city-data and haven't read all of the replies, but here's my .02 from a couple who lived in OC for 3 years before bailing out:

All you hear about SoCal is the nice weather, and if you back someone into a corner and ask what's the best thing about SoCal, they tell you the weather.

Well as 2 people who love warmth and sun, we were very disappointed. We lived on the coast and the weather is chilly pretty much year-round. We moved from Arizona and loved the year-round warm sunshine but not the crazy hot summers. Well the SoCal coast gives you chilly damp weather all year with depressing gray fog for half the year. For a few months in summer the days are warm, bordering on hot, but even then it's too chilly at night to be outside and enjoy it without a patio heater.

Anyway, enough of my rant, my point is that SoCal is fine if you REALLY can't stand heat, but if you like a real summer and enjoy year-round warmth, it probably isn't for you. (At least not on the coast- just go a few miles inland and it's hot.)

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
So why didn't you go a few miles inland?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoTX09 View Post
Whoa, this is a LONG thread! I'm relatively new to city-data and haven't read all of the replies, but here's my .02 from a couple who lived in OC for 3 years before bailing out:

All you hear about SoCal is the nice weather, and if you back someone into a corner and ask what's the best thing about SoCal, they tell you the weather.

Well as 2 people who love warmth and sun, we were very disappointed. We lived on the coast and the weather is chilly pretty much year-round. We moved from Arizona and loved the year-round warm sunshine but not the crazy hot summers. Well the SoCal coast gives you chilly damp weather all year with depressing gray fog for half the year. For a few months in summer the days are warm, bordering on hot, but even then it's too chilly at night to be outside and enjoy it without a patio heater.

Anyway, enough of my rant, my point is that SoCal is fine if you REALLY can't stand heat, but if you like a real summer and enjoy year-round warmth, it probably isn't for you. (At least not on the coast- just go a few miles inland and it's hot.)
That's like saying "People always mention how good a basketball player Kobe is, but I saw him miss a free throw last night."

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times
I live in Huntington Beach and it is FREEZING COLD right now and it has been from DEC till now. I can't leave my house without wearing a long trench coat and gloves and I always have to turn the heater on.

I don't know why people think So Cal is always warm. For example, it's 49F right now (it's 6am) but still, that's pretty darn cold. I haven't been able to wear a skirt or tank top all winter and when I do it feels like I'm going to die. It does get cold here during the winter. Perhaps not as cold as Iceland but still.... I have to wear a thick coat at all times!!

Forecast is 62F today and "sunny" but that's still kinda cold to me. I still have to wear a jacket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County