Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,996,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
National standards. Not everybody murdered gets "dropped in the street". 30 out of 340,000 is a very good rate.

Go ahead and compare a 150-year-old city to a young, sterile, boring, cookie-cutter master-planned one. Go right ahead.
I took the liberty to add some important points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,258,446 times
Quote:
National standards. Not everybody murdered gets "dropped in the street". 30 out of 340,000 is a very good rate.
That's your opinion. I bet if you asked the families of those 30 people if Santa Ana has a "very good rate", they might disagree, but that's neither here nor there. The fact is Santa Ana has high crime for the area. Don't take it personal, it's not your fault David.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I took the liberty to add some important points.
Interesting. Not being old enough to have witnessed the formation of a major city from its beginnings, I respect your opinion old timer.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Don't forget to add Mission Viejo to that city list, whippersnapper.

Assuming it's considered a major city.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,487,613 times
Dodging stray bullets on the way to the mail box or wondering if my car is still going to have wheels in the morning isn't the kind of excitement I need.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Don't forget to add Mission Viejo to that city list, whippersnapper.

Assuming it's considered a major city.
I don't think so. We barely passed the 100,000 barrier this year. I think we still qualify for "hamlet" status.

Regards,

Mission Viejo Residents

Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I don't think so. We barely passed the 100,000 barrier this year. I think we still qualify for "hamlet" status.

Regards,

Mission Viejo Residents
Gotcha.

Hugs & kisses,

Non-resident Mission Viejo homeowner

Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Dodging stray bullets on the way to the mail box or wondering if my car is still going to have wheels in the morning isn't the kind of excitement I need.

This quote can only be from yet another south county resident who has never really spent any time in Santa Ana but wants to spew rumors based on conditions that existed in some parts of Santa Ana 20 years ago with no real knowlege of the city at all. Agreed, 20 years ago, parts of it were was horrid. Back then Santa Ana had one of the higher crime rates in the country. Today, it is better than the average American city of similar size. In fact about fourteen years ago, it was Americas safest city of its size. It has diminished some since then, but it is still above average.

The quote above can only be based on a complete lack of knowlege of the city. To begin with if you live in Santa Ana "on the way to the mailbox" means walking to your front door where you have either a mail slot or a box mounted on your porch. There might be some place where they have roadside mailboxes, but I have not seen any. Perhaps you are confused about what town you were in when you were "dodging bullets."
I have certainly never dodged a bullet, nor seen a bullet hit anything despite having spent over 100,000 hours in downtown Santa Ana.

I parked my car, and my wife parked her car on the street in Santa Ana every night for over 9 years. My wheels were stolen exactly 0 times. In fact the only probelms that I had was someone once tried to siphon some gas out of my car but a neighbor caught them, and the city once towed my car away by mistake. I did once leave my car in a parking lot near the federal court house unattended and outside for three months and a homeless guy got into it and lived in it for a week before the police found him. However I suspect that if you left your car outside anywhere for three months, you are likely to have problems when you get back.

Living in a downtown neighborhood for nine years and walking to and from work or to and from the resturants/bars on 4th street, at all times of the day and night, we never dodged a bullet. We did occaisionally hear what we believed to be a gunshot once in a great while, but it may have been fireworks.

Where I live most of the time now, one the the safest communities in our State, we hear gunshots all the time. It is really scary, especially if you are a duck.

Keep in mind. Santa Ana is a city. Irvine is a suburb. They can not reasonable be compared. There are fram communities in the northern inland parts of California that have zero crime. Not one crime. By comparison, Irvine is a crime ridden ghetto. It only makes sense to cmpare city to city, suburb to suburb, rurual community to rural community.

Santa Ana is a City. It is not a perfect city and it has its problems, but unless you have a problem with prejudice and bigotry (like a poster above) then it is a pretty decent city, as cities go. The made up hype so often spewed by uninformed persons who have rarely if ever spent any time inthe city at all is embarrassing. I woudl hate people to think that this it the intellectual level of the typical Orange O****y resident.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,980,374 times
Y'all are hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
That's your opinion. I bet if you asked the families of those 30 people if Santa Ana has a "very good rate", they might disagree, but that's neither here nor there. The fact is Santa Ana has high crime for the area. Don't take it personal, it's not your fault David.
I'd venture a guess that a majority of those 30 people were involved in activities they shouldn't have been. The same could be said for the 19 killed in Irvine over a 10 year period.

I've spent an adequate amount of time in Santa Ana. I lived there for a bit when I was a baby (1st/Bristol ), my father's (10th/Bristol) family grew up there, and many of them lived there (CA-22/Grand; on Chestnut somewhere) throughout my pre-adult years. It's a fun place to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My uncle delivered US mail in Santa Ana for practically my whole life and then some. He never mentioned bullets on his way to mailboxes..... (he's still alive last I checked btw).

Old 10-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Y'all are hilarious.
I'd venture a guess that a majority of those 30 people were involved in activities they shouldn't have been. The same could be said for the 19 killed in Irvine over a 10 year period.
I have no doubt, but 19 in TEN years is LOW for Orange County. 217 in 10 years, in Santa Ana, is HIGH for any city in Orange County.

Santa Ana may have a low crime rate compared to Oakland, or Camden, but it's still one of the highest crime areas in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County