U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,996,404 times

Advertisements

If you want something more low key, try Surfside, Sunset Beach, or Seal Beach. Plenty of nice properties, including beachfront, but fairly low key. Seems to be a quiet haven for some of the wealthier and more visible/celebrity OC residents.

If I had a choice, I'd live in either of those cities, or perhaps on the Newport Peninsula.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,578,778 times
People who can't afford to live in Newport are the ones giving you opinons..I lived there off and on, and heard the same ridiculous comments..The same type of people call Boulder and Aspen bad places to live in Colorado because they are jeolous and know they will never have a shot at ever living in those places themselves..take it for what its worth.. Newport Peninsula ..very nice, but just like the state of Californionia ..it's in slow decline..Newport Coast/Pelican Hill , /Lido Isle, Corona Del Mar,Newport Heights,Back Bay are all experiencing depreciation

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-04-2010 at 01:22 AM..

Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 30,010,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
People who can't afford to live in Newport are the ones giving you opinons..I lived there off and on, and heard the same ridiculous comments..The same type of people call Boulder and Aspen bad places to live in Colorado because they are jeolous and know they will never have a shot at ever living in those places themselves..take it for what its worth.. Newport Peninsula ..very nice, but just like the state of Californionia ..it's in slow decline..Newport Coast/Pelican Hill , /Lido Isle, Corona Del Mar,Newport Heights,Back Bay are all experiencing depreciation
I don't think it's ridiculous to say South Laguna and the west end of DP are preferable to Newport. Maybe if you enjoy wading through loads of tourists and other residents you'll enjoy Newport more but I always preferred the cleaner and less crowded conditions further South.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM

5,022 posts, read 7,008,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahot View Post
The jobs will be near where we decide to live.
So what kind of work do you do?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM

55 posts, read 178,036 times
Laguna Beach is beautiful for the art culture and history, however all of the hills make it very difficult at times. Your only way out in an emergency situation if in Laguna is through Highway 1(PCH), so take that into effect as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
Laguna Beach is beautiful for the art culture and history, however all of the hills make it very difficult at times. Your only way out in an emergency situation if in Laguna is through Highway 1(PCH), so take that into effect as well.
What about Laguna Canyon Road? Also, you could go up to Newport or down to Dana Point on PCH. Not exactly Big Sur. I don't recalll it ever being closed off. I wouldn't even consider that in my decision.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,267,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What about Laguna Canyon Road? Also, you could go up to Newport or down to Dana Point on PCH. Not exactly Big Sur. I don't recalll it ever being closed off. I wouldn't even consider that in my decision.
OHHHHHHH yeaaaaaaaa, it's been closed off...very, very scary....Laguna Canyon Road AND PCH. About 17 years ago during the bad fire.....my girl was at Anneliese out on Laguna Canyon and got evacuated....in fact, the school was the first to be evacuated.... They were taken to the high school.....when I found out, (utter chaos), we were driving under the helicopters dipping down into the ocean.....traffic on PCH came to a dead stop...luckily, my friend knew how to take surface streets to get to the high school because her boy had some wrestling meets there......

The views are pretty but Newport Coast can be a fog pocket.....it'll be fairly clear through Laguna and when you get to NC, it hits you like a brick wall especially if you are driving in the dark or right before sunrise...(I'm not putting it down at all.....and yes, I could easily afford to live there but it's not high on my list....just stating a fact)....

Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
OHHHHHHH yeaaaaaaaa, it's been closed off...very, very scary....Laguna Canyon Road AND PCH. About 17 years ago during the bad fire.....my girl was at Anneliese out on Laguna Canyon and got evacuated....in fact, the school was the first to be evacuated.... They were taken to the high school.....when I found out, (utter chaos), we were driving under the helicopters dipping down into the ocean.....traffic on PCH came to a dead stop...luckily, my friend knew how to take surface streets to get to the high school because her boy had some wrestling meets there
We're not talking days though where they have to airlift food in or anything. I still wouldn't consider it as a factor in choosing where to live around there.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 AM

7,443 posts, read 11,829,942 times
Quote:
I know how a lot of people on this forum resent Newport area but I happen love how everything is neat and well planned after spending a long weekend in Newport Coast, Crystal Cove, and Laguna. I also have a rough idea of the housing prices in these areas after doing some extensive researches.

Both me and my husband are professionals and thinking about moving to OC or near OC. We make about $500K a year combined, and hoping to purchase a house with an ocean view in the near future.

Is there any other areas I should look into as well? We do have one child and having a good school in the area is a must (public or private.)

TIA!
Newport Coast sounds better and it seems like something you can brag to your friends about. I would take the coasty name for 500 alex.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,799,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Ugh.

I don't have anything against Newport per se. Many friends there and I go to church with alot of NB residents. But do yourself a big favor and stay away from Newport Coast/Crystal Cove. It is the living embodiment of the negative neauveau - riche, materialistic, shallow, money grubbing, snobby OC sterotype.

Look at Corona Del Mar, Newport Heights, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, La Jolla (In San Diego). There are also some newer, more affordable upscale oceanview homes in the Seacliff development of Huntington Beach. The rest of HB is not nearly as high end, but Seacliff is a nice area with everything you are seeking. The city itself has a more middle class down to earth vibe.

Good Luck
LOL!! Although I did not live in Newport/Crystal Cove I use to go there all the time from pleasure to business as I use to do maintenance work for a famous bar/club in the area.

Anyhow, the people around that area are pretty cool and I never had any problems. People party a lot (in newport) but that's about it. Now in other areas of SOCAL it's a different story.

Quote:
We are not church goers, and I am a firm believer in choosing my own friends than having others to accept me into a small circle. It's hard to believe a beautiful place like Crystal Cove can have so many nasty people and negativities...

Nasty people are EVERYWHERE! However, I have never encountered them in Crystal Cove, and mind you, I'm a young black male.

Last edited by Morphous01; 01-12-2010 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County