Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 AM

19 posts, read 74,396 times

Advertisements

I was in East Hampton, NY the other day, and Main St. is lined with Gucci, Prada and a bunch of other gold nugget designers. I thought to myself, [i]Gee, I hope Laguna Beach never becomes like this.[i] Then again, it\'s free market capitalism.. it\'s change.. change is to better meet the demands of the people. You cant stop the free market. Artists cant stop it. They shouldnt be able to either.

If Laguna is changing.. it\'s changing toward demand. I advise to either forget about it or move on. OC is a very rapidly changing place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,934 times
Laguna and Newport Beach are beautiful, I could not imagine why anyone would complain about anything living here. I could not imagine being any where else. Read my thread, and all complaints would seem so meaningless. Cheers!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,487 times
it is very interesting reading all this posts. My mother (originally Lithuanian) lives in Laguna Beach for two years now and all she talks about is how beautiful and nice is in there. I am considering moving to Orange county (I am 21 years old Lithuanian living in London), but I got confused and read all posts about LA town, which are quite off-putting and really scary, when actually it is completely different to Orange County. I always thought that possibilities, i.e. in Orange county are much bigger for buying your own house, car and living happy life than in London, as house prices here starts at $400,000 (average salary $30,000), you have to pay a daily charge of $20 just for entering the city centre in a car and it takes me to go to work 1 hour each morning, if i am not stuck for another 30min in a packed Metro.
Is it difficult to get a work in Orange County? I am currently working as a office admin/tax assistant

It is causing me headaches and tears this question

Thank you

Old 09-21-2007, 08:36 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,074,595 times
I would love to live in Laguna Beach/Newport Beach!!! Truly I would. I loved it when I went there in April.

You know there are a couple of billionaires living in Laguna and Newport. They were just listed on the Forbes Billionaire list that just came out. I bet they are living it up there!!! Could you imagine???!!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,878,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNora View Post
it is very interesting reading all this posts. My mother (originally Lithuanian) lives in Laguna Beach for two years now and all she talks about is how beautiful and nice is in there. I am considering moving to Orange county (I am 21 years old Lithuanian living in London), but I got confused and read all posts about LA town, which are quite off-putting and really scary, when actually it is completely different to Orange County. I always thought that possibilities, i.e. in Orange county are much bigger for buying your own house, car and living happy life than in London, as house prices here starts at $400,000 (average salary $30,000), you have to pay a daily charge of $20 just for entering the city centre in a car and it takes me to go to work 1 hour each morning, if i am not stuck for another 30min in a packed Metro.
Is it difficult to get a work in Orange County? I am currently working as a office admin/tax assistant

It is causing me headaches and tears this question

Thank you
Labas, Nora. Welcome to the forum. My mother is originally from Kaunas & coincidentally is in San Diego visiting my sister now. I lived in Long Beach 15-yrs ago but worked in Newport/Laguna Beach. CA is gorgeous & I don't think you'd be disappointed there.

I have good friends in London now. You will find the cost of living in CA to be on par with London. If your wanting to purchase a house/condo, it would be the same or more expensive in CA. Rents would be similar.

But before you go that far, I'm wondering, why don't you visit your mother in CA for an extended stay, say 2-3 wks? This will give you a time to drive around in rush hour traffic to see what it's like for yourself, look at some apts to see if you could afford to live there, perhaps look for a job to see if you'll need to commute to L.A. or if you can find something closer. I think this will take the pressure off & you won't feel so torn. Better to go with how your mother is experiencing it as you're from a similar background/culture.

London is a great city. I lived there 20-yrs ago & loved it, too. But, there's a big difference being stuck in traffic for an hour & in rainy, chilly weather & with the windows rolled down & taking in the sunshine. You won't be disappointed with CA. I'd also suggest you share a rental with someone initially, if you couldn't temporarily live with your mother. You're young & have plenty of time, should you relocated, to find your own place once settled. Best of luck to you!

Labas varakas... VV

Old 09-22-2007, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Labas, Nora. Welcome to the forum. My mother is originally from Kaunas & coincidentally is in San Diego visiting my sister now. I lived in Long Beach 15-yrs ago but worked in Newport/Laguna Beach. CA is gorgeous & I don't think you'd be disappointed there.

I have good friends in London now. You will find the cost of living in CA to be on par with London. If your wanting to purchase a house/condo, it would be the same or more expensive in CA. Rents would be similar.

But before you go that far, I'm wondering, why don't you visit your mother in CA for an extended stay, say 2-3 wks? This will give you a time to drive around in rush hour traffic to see what it's like for yourself, look at some apts to see if you could afford to live there, perhaps look for a job to see if you'll need to commute to L.A. or if you can find something closer. I think this will take the pressure off & you won't feel so torn. Better to go with how your mother is experiencing it as you're from a similar background/culture.

London is a great city. I lived there 20-yrs ago & loved it, too. But, there's a big difference being stuck in traffic for an hour & in rainy, chilly weather & with the windows rolled down & taking in the sunshine. You won't be disappointed with CA. I'd also suggest you share a rental with someone initially, if you couldn't temporarily live with your mother. You're young & have plenty of time, should you relocated, to find your own place once settled. Best of luck to you!

Labas varakas... VV
Labas KittensPurr,Thank you for your reply. I am indeed planning to visit my mother there next year in May. I also thought that there is no point for me to consider something i have never been to and have no idea how is it in there. But i do have some issues with visa - I have been denied one just last year. It is because i am young, don't have any property in here and moved country already once, so I can't blame them. My mother is saying exactly the same as you; it is quite difficult for her in there on her own, but she always says, no matter how difficult day she had, she looks at the mountains, feels the warm breeze or goes by the see and forgets all the troubles so in other words problems are all the same everywhere just the weather is better in CA The house and rent prices in London jumped 140% since 1990, so i am actually paying $1000 for a little room and sharing a house with two others, 1 hour away from the city centre. No matter how much i wanted a car or a house, I will never be able to afford one in here, even though my salary is well above the average.Thnak you.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,359,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine View Post
I was in East Hampton, NY the other day, and Main St. is lined with Gucci, Prada and a bunch of other gold nugget designers..
It wasn't always like that. I grew up going out to my grandma's house in the Hamptons and it used to be just bubbas and tourist shops. It wasn't until the late 90's that all the high-end stuff moved in.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,892 times
fashionablecowboy. i have lived in california for awhile. it is alright to visit. but do not want to live there any more. i live in a nice little town here in tn. and i love it. come and see it sometime. i have to struggle with my pay check, but i still like my town.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 AM

111 posts, read 224,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Hee hee! This thread cracks me up!

But, gosh, I am so not a complainer, so I better brace myself, huh when I move there?

I can't imagine there being anything to complain about in Laguna Beach!
Hmm, well living in Newport we complain about the traffic and parking in Laguna ... but if that's the worse of their problems then it's a GREAT place to be!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County